Paul Lambert

limpid

I had thought we'd be on damage limitation this season until Benteke was back fully fit. He is our goal scorer and the points per game average is very much higher with him in the team than him out of the team. 

So with that in mind

Liverpool (A)

Arsenal (H)

City (H)

Chelsea (A)

Everton (A)

3 points from those 5 games is not bad at all. 2 draws and 3 defeats wouldn't have been bad either.

So

Stoke (A)

Newcastle (H)

Hull (H)

QPR (A)

To get 7 points from those is also a good return. 

Take into account we've played last seasons top 5 in our first 9 games without our star player and we're still on course to get 42 points this season. 

It must be hard for the team to have such a tough run of games and try to come out of it with confidence intact, especially as we've not had the opportunity to play our best back 4 in any of those games. 

Give the team a chance to get Benteke up to speed, for our best back 4 out on the pitch week in week out before we start getting so pessimistic. 

4 points from the next 3 tricky games would be a great result for us. Lets give them the chance to turn things around

• Like 2

I say give him till January, mainly because I don't think we could get anyone decent in quickly.

If we give him till Christmas, at least we'll have time to sound out a (better!) manager (perhaps even a continental one) in a competent manner and not rush into anything.

Of course, I'm assuming that Randy would get rid in the first place, which is doubtful, and the pay-off isn't ridiculous, which is also doubtful.

But none of that disagrees with what I've just written. I dont' see what's so hard to grasp about what Mantis said.

It is incredibly subjective, and you can disagree with it, fine. I disagree with it myself. But that doesn't change what Mantis said and that was that he didn't think we could attract better than Lambert.

NOT, that there is nobody better than lambert, which is how his posts seem to have been interpreted

Okay, so no other gettable manager could have done any better than Lambert. Which is obviously how everybody interpreted it anyway.

It really wasn't judging by the responses

And it is nonsense. It was nonsense when it was lazily rolled out last season and it is still nonsense today.

I don't disagree. Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say it was nonsense. I think it is a legitimate fear that if we did sack lambert then the new manager COULD be even worse given the current squad. But I understand that that is such a big variable and is so subjective that it renders the point moot. An intelligent appointment in the event that Lambert is sacked would likely show an improvement in the team.

I was never arguing that point.

• Like 1

CV on the money.

As much as I hate losing, we have to accept our team isn't as good as the teams we've played (bar QPR).  And that's got nothing to do with ambition, or motivation, it's just where we are at the minute.

I do want him gone i have no faith that he has the ability to get points from our next few games at this point especially because of how long we have been putting up with this shit a change in management can only be a good thing.

What if we sack him, and then the new guy takes us down?

Who can we blame then?

A combination of lambert, Lerner and the new man.
So what is your solution? And maybe you could go a bit further than just "sack Lambert".
Well that's the only solution we have currently. Lambert is clearly not getting the best out of the squad available to him and is losing a large percentage of the fan base. A new man comes with new ideas and will have the fans more patient at home games.

Maybe you could explain your solution with a bit more than just 'give him more time'

Come on dude, help me out.

Ok, I'll set the scene.

You're Randy Lerner, the same restrictions financially apply now, but you've got to make a decision, you sack Lambert, then what?

Tell me, I'm not trying to annoy you, I just want to know what your solution would be, if it was your decision, it would help me see what your opinion is, other than "sack lambert".

My solution would be as previously stated, give him until Xmas where he will have his entire team to choose from and match fit, we'll have played all the teams (not just the hard one and tricky away fixtures) and then I could give a sensible decision.

If, however, we continue our current, terrible trend, I would approach Moyes. If he didn't want to come, I'd approach Pulis.

If Pulis wasn't interested, I wouldn't know what to do, so I'd be inclined to stick with Lambert, because I don't think anyone else would do any better, and my knowledge of managers is pretty limited to be honest.

I have no idea of what managers are available or who would want to come. Like you Moyes and Pullis would be people I'd be looking to get in.

Don't get me wrong I think the real issue is Lerner and there's only so much we can achieve with him as the owner. But the awful football and poor results have gone on for too long.

Lambert currently does the same thing over and over again, I think we need a new approach. The atmosphere on Sunday will be hostile and again I think a new approach will change that.

I just don't see the point in playing awful football to barely survive.

• Like 1

I have no idea of what managers are available or who would want to come. Like you Moyes and Pullis would be people I'd be looking to get in.

Don't get me wrong I think the real issue is Lerner and there's only so much we can achieve with him as the owner. But the awful football and poor results have gone on for too long.

Lambert currently does the same thing over and over again, I think we need a new approach. The atmosphere on Sunday will be hostile and again I think a new approach will change that.

Ok, that's a good start.  So now we know that you'd look at the managers I said, that's fine. 

So my next question is, do you think a new manager (whether it be Moyes, Pulis or someone else) would be able to play better and achieve better results?

But thank you for answering my question :thumb:

Don't know if you're being patronising or not. Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way.

Yes I think a different manager could do better. Lambert loses 50% of the time, and averages around 1pt a game. On top of that the football is probably the worst in the league and easily the worst I've ever seen our team play.

I really do believe that can be improved on with this squad.

We set up with a defensive mind set but concede too many goals. Attacking players are not played in the right positions and we never ever try to play with proper width.

What kind of team do you think Lambert is building? What do you see as the future under him?

Edited by DCJonah

here are just too many variables in one single game, never mind 10 to blame someone conclusively.

How about close to 100 games?

I don't think anyone is basing their opinion or feelings on a few games this season.

I think they are to be honest.  Again, if you're basing your opinions on 100 games, and looking at the bigger picture, you'll see that under the extreme restrictions that have been placed on Lambert, he's probably done about as well as he could do.

Exterme restrictions???? What a tight budget?? He's the only manager in the PL who had no pressure to get results or face the sack!! He's had it easy, even Wenger has had more pressure the Lambert and came closer to the sack!! Most of the restrictions and pressure Lamberts under are self inflicted due to his incompetance!!

Ok, that's a good start.  So now we know that you'd look at the managers I said, that's fine. 

So my next question is, do you think a new manager (whether it be Moyes, Pulis or someone else) would be able to play better and achieve better results?

But thank you for answering my question :thumb:

I personally think that both Pullis and Moyes would be able to better prepare and set up the current side which is not as bad as some would have you believe.

I had thought we'd be on damage limitation this season until Benteke was back fully fit. He is our goal scorer and the points per game average is very much higher with him in the team than him out of the team. 

So with that in mind

Liverpool (A)

Arsenal (H)

City (H)

Chelsea (A)

Everton (A)

3 points from those 5 games is not bad at all. 2 draws and 3 defeats wouldn't have been bad either.

So

Stoke (A)

Newcastle (H)

Hull (H)

QPR (A)

To get 7 points from those is also a good return. 

Take into account we've played last seasons top 5 in our first 9 games without our star player and we're still on course to get 42 points this season. 

It must be hard for the team to have such a tough run of games and try to come out of it with confidence intact, especially as we've not had the opportunity to play our best back 4 in any of those games. 

Give the team a chance to get Benteke up to speed, for our best back 4 out on the pitch week in week out before we start getting so pessimistic. 

That's all well and good if you take this season in isolation but its not. It's been going on for 2 years. If we don't get 4 pts in the next 3 what happens then? We give him another 3? If I could see any slither of us progressing I'd still be fully behind Lambert but there's nothing. The football is awful. He's picking people in wrong postions he's showing loyalty to players who don't repay him.

4 points from the next 3 tricky games would be a great result for us. Lets give them the chance to turn things around

• Like 1

Yes and that seems to be the only defence of him ever, budgets.

So you ask why anyone doesn't want him sacked, you get an answer but seemingly discount because you've heard it before. Fantastic.

How many defences does he need? The last few years have been pure shit and yet he's clearly met his targets as he's still here.

Changing him won't change our budget and it won't change our targets. Survival is the goal and anything more is a bonus.

Edit - If we sack him we'll just have the same shit with a different asshole.

Edited by ArteSuave
  • Like 1

Thomas Tuchel is still available and he would be a much better manager than Lambert

Would he come here? Genuine question.

I think Unai Emery would make a great appointment, but I highly doubt he'd be interested unless he had some overriding desire to come to the Premier League.

here are just too many variables in one single game, never mind 10 to blame someone conclusively.

How about close to 100 games?

I don't think anyone is basing their opinion or feelings on a few games this season.

I think they are to be honest.  Again, if you're basing your opinions on 100 games, and looking at the bigger picture, you'll see that under the extreme restrictions that have been placed on Lambert, he's probably done about as well as he could do.

Exterme restrictions???? What a tight budget?? He's the only manager in the PL who had no pressure to get results or face the sack!! He's had it easy, even Wenger has had more pressure the Lambert and came closer to the sack!! Most of the restrictions and pressure Lamberts under are self inflicted due to his incompetance!!

But I'm not talking to you, so you didn't need to answer. :)

I personally think that both Pullis and Moyes would be able to better prepare and set up the current side which is not as bad as some would have you believe.

I think we're better than where we are, but I do think that we haven't had a chance to see it yet.

My 1st 11 would be.

Guzan

Hutton

Senderos

Vlaar

Cissoko

Bacuna

Delph

Westwood

Sanchez

Benteke

Weimann/Gabby

In a 442, but only Bacuna as a winger. 

We haven't got much width in our team unfortunately.

Thomas Tuchel is still available and he would be a much better manager than Lambert

I think Unai Emery would make a great appointment, but I highly doubt he'd be interested unless he had some overriding desire to come to the Premier League.

who know's mate but he isn't managing a club at the moment and might fancy the chance of working in Premier League.

Because its not a defense thats why, or is 60m+ and 3 seasons not enough to get a team together that can perhaps score a goal in 5 games? Just one single goal.

By now acceptable defenses could be that we may not be doing well but there's a plan and evidence of progression or that things may get better with Lambert at the helm but none of that is true, we are just as bad years on from when he took over.

Umm, not sure, probably not. By most accounts, he has was always Schalke's first-choice ahead of Di Matteo but Mainz are still entitled to compensation until next summer. It's suspected that Schalke will go back in for him should Di Matteo flop. Even if that doesn't happen, I'd imagine that Tuchel might consider himself as too good for us in our position given that after attracting interest from clubs of Schalke's ilk. He'd likely be the obvious choice to replace Klopp at Dortmund should he leave this season also.

As for Emery, zero chance. Sevilla are pushing hard for Champions League places this season and his profile is far too high now.

For a more viable option, I'd suggest Bernd Schuster. He has a good pedigree, plays decent football but with the pragmatism required in this league. Did a solid job at Malaga last season who were in a complete mess when he arrived and have a worse owner than us. He's currently unemployed too.

Â