Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't get why people now say I'll give him to December. Whats a few weeks and a few more games going to prove? I'm sure we will pick up the odd win over the next couple of months and I'm fairly confident we will survive. But what for? To do it all again next year?

I've seen enough to tell me that we're going nowhere under Lambert.

Because we did actually start the season well, and with a more favourable run of fixtures coming up I'd like to see if Lambert can recapture that.

If he can't, then get a new manager in place for the new year and give him the window to sort it out.

I don't want Lambert to fail, and I don't think giving him until Christmas will damage us too much, even if I do think it may be delaying the inevitable.

This is all dependant of course. If we go out and lose our next 3 miserably then I'll be saying enough is enough.

I don't think it will damage us too much but I just don't see the point. We seem to be consistently waiting for Lambert to show us something and we're consistently let down.

There is nothing IMO being built under Lambert, him scraping a few points over the next few games would do nothing to change my opinion of that.

Pulis? Moyes? the Premier League doesn't necessarily have to be a men's club for the same rotating managers. let's do a Spurs and look for a manager abroad, hell, football is still football.

Southampton is not in the UK now? or do you mean AVB, Ramos or Santini

Controversial question. If it meant Lambert was sacked would you mind us losing the next two?

I reached the point under O'Leary and McLeish were I didn't want us to lose, but I wasn't too fussed as I knew it meant they were closer to being out the door.

Not sure I've reached that point under Lambert just yet. Wondering if anyone has?

Edited by DCJonah

I don't get why people now say I'll give him to December. Whats a few weeks and a few more games going to prove? I'm sure we will pick up the odd win over the next couple of months and I'm fairly confident we will survive. But what for? To do it all again next year?

I've seen enough to tell me that we're going nowhere under Lambert.

Because we did actually start the season well, and with a more favourable run of fixtures coming up I'd like to see if Lambert can recapture that.

If he can't, then get a new manager in place for the new year and give him the window to sort it out.

I don't want Lambert to fail, and I don't think giving him until Christmas will damage us too much, even if I do think it may be delaying the inevitable.

This is all dependant of course. If we go out and lose our next 3 miserably then I'll be saying enough is enough.

I don't think it will damage us too much but I just don't see the point. We seem to be consistently waiting for Lambert to show us something and we're consistently let down.

There is nothing IMO being built under Lambert, him scraping a few points over the next few games would do nothing to change my opinion of that.

Maybe not, and that's your right.

But for me the start of the season was encouraging. Whilst the recent games have been very disappointing I was willing to accept that the tough fixtures may have contributed. No excuse for Monday night though, that was unacceptable.

I always said the tough fixture line was ok as long as we came out of those fixtures and actually won the winnable games. Obviously we've failed to do that for QPR. But if we return to the form we showed for the first few games then it would be encouraging for me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty indifferent. If we got news today that lambert had been sacked or he'd quit, I'd be fine with it and would concede that it may be the best option.

All I'm saying is that we can probably afford to give him until Christmas as a last chance and then get rid. Maybe that is "pointless" for some people, but that's just me.

• Like 1

Controversial question. If it meant Lambert was sacked would you mind us losing the next two?

I reached the point under O'Leary and McLeish were I didn't want us to lose, but I wasn't too fussed as I knew it meant they were closer to being out the door.

Not sure I've reached that point under Lambert just yet. Wondering if anyone has?

Interesting one. It's up there with "is relegation really a bad thing?" as it allows us to rebuild under less pressure than the premier league affords.

Still - I have to say no. I don't want or like Aston Villa losing, ever. I get too upset when it happens to ever consider the "bigger picture".

I can see why. I was also encouraged by our start, I think we were slightly fortunate in a couple but the results were deserved and it was promising to see us defend better and not rely on long balls. But there's been a few short periods under Lambert were I've been encouraged but ultimately nothing comes from it.

I think we will pick up, we have enough quality to not lose every game over the next few weeks. Its what its for though for me. Scraping by while playing awful football is just something I'm not prepared to buy into anymore. If I believed in a plan, something to get behind then I'd probably be more relaxed. But I genuinely can't see what the point is of a team managed by Paul Lambert and owned by Randy Lerner.

• Like 1

Who are the 18 (other than Mantis, Richard) who think we should keep the manager? I'm interested to know.

Aren't the bottom two options to keep the manager?

That's 59 people.

Some say maybe till January. I am interested to know who wants to keep him, but who are not a 'possible'.

Who are the 18 (other than Mantis, Richard) who think we should keep the manager? I'm interested to know.

I haven't voted because I've not logged in on my computer but I wouldn't get rid of him now. No desirable likely alternatives to come in IN MY OPINION.

This opinion may change if we arrive in Burnley having not scored in 8. I like PL though. I'm not excusing recent performances. I was at Everton and QPR and felt thoroughly let down by the team, two of the worst performances I've seen in a long time. The players like Lambert though so I don't think it's like they aren't playing for the manager.

Fair enough mate.  :thumb:

Last year I belived Lambert got the best out of a bad lot and was quitely confident this year of progressing. After getting to 10 pts quickly he had a cushion to have a go against teams were most would have thought we wouldn't get anything. Yet he set out not to lose by a lot. Then after not attacking or having much of the ball for 7/12 games this year he expected the team to flick a switch and keep the ball and create loads. Qpr just did what most teams do at VP sit deep let us have the ball knowing we are clueless in possession. Lambert has broken record after record nine of them positive ones. The only reason I can see why people think he should stay is no one can do any better. Well can anyone do any worse? Would any other manager say we have goals in the team then go on to name players who hardly score? Is Gabby a No 10? Why does he hold some players back so much and then throws others straight in? Joe Cole gets mentioned as this mythical no10 yet never gets played there? Cleverley our best player at everton gets moved from his position and ends up with his worst game of the season. We have the squad to finish mid table easily. I don't think we have the manager to though. If Randy wants to sell he'll have a better chance with a club on the up rather than one that's rotting away under dour football and no ambition.

I'd prefer points on the board as I seriously doubt any number of straight defeats would cause a resignation or a sacking.

6, 8 or 10 straight defeats would only lead to the eventual rumour of action from Randy. Depending on the strength of bile from the fans at games that action will manifest itself as a written statement. That statement will be some enigmatic management double speak about how we are all hurting and we all love the Villa and we are to stick with it as a big thing is on the way very soon.

Another 3 games on and that big thing will be next year's season ticket price is frozen if you buy early, or free little flags at the next game.

Points please. I don't trust the club to act just because we keep losing.

• Like 1

100% take it. If we beat Spurs it actually gives him another 6-7 games to find another win to keep him going.

I said last year I don't care if we go down if it meant Lambert was sacked. I didn't renew my ST for this year but if we changed the manager I would have, even if we were in the Championship.

I think it's understandable that a lot of fans are quite irate right now, we do look toothless at the minute. 

However, I strongly believe that people need to stop pointing fingers at individuals and look at the wider picture.

Look at Tuesday, our captain fantastic, one of our most popular players, people strongly debating how much we'll miss him if he leaves next summer, made a mistake to enable QPR to score the first goal, in a game which we were dominating, although not making many goal scoring opportunities.

Then, a defensive midfielder, who has been debated as being worth a starting position or not, gives a MOTM display for 70 minutes, then makes a complete hash of a pass which leaves us short and conceding another, at a crucial point in the game.

Is Lambert of Lerner to blame for those goals?  Is it really bad coaching? Or is it just two mistakes in a 90 minute game of football?

Meanwhile, we have a front 3 who apart from a 10 game spell 18 months ago, haven't played too often together and have been a little toothless anyway.  If Benteke had played since the start of the season, would we have been any better off? 

If Clarke hadn't have been playing would the person in his position have scored one of the chances that fell to him?

Likewise, there have been periods where you can directly point the finger at Lambert - Our lack of movement, our set-up to play narrow and leave our fullbacks without passing options etc.

There are just too many variables in one single game, never mind 10 to blame someone conclusively. 

Statistics are used to validate a point, not make one.  Football isn't a game played on a spreadsheet.  QPR wanted to win the game as much as us, they'll beat better teams than us at home, they nearly beat Liverpool last week, but again, special circumstances in that game led them to lose.

I think, football is about "feelings", without wanting to sound too dippy about it.

I just feel as though as much as Lambert is undoubtedly at fault for some of this mess, simply "getting rid" will not fix the other fundamental problems (and luck) that we seem to be having over the last 5 games, especially given that QPR was our most winnable, and it's still an away game, against a manager Villa haven't beaten is several years against.

I mean, if Vlaar and Sanchez hadn't have made those mistakes, the scoreline could and probably would have been different.

If we'd had drew 0-0, would people still be saying Lambert out? Or would they think an away draw and keeping 70% possession was actually an ok result?

It's amazing what a couple of individual mistakes and 1 point make to peoples perceptions of things.

• Like 3

I'd take that deal, especially since we'll probably lose those games anyway.

Lambert needs to go both for the short and long term sake of the club

I'm one of those saying keep him.

Don't think sacking him will achieve anything. I think those calling for his sacking now are going more from the frustration if the past couple of years rather than where we are now. We'll be fine this season.

We have options in the squad now. He has to have the courage to pick the right ones and leave out anyone not pulling their weight.

We looked fine earlier in the season. We keep losing players to injury just when they were playing ok.

People say the Stoke or Liverpool games could have been so different - but in truth Monday night could have as well. If the Benteke header or the Clark rebound had gone in to make it 1-1 you'd have fancied us to go on and win.

Too early to boot him yet. Although the Spurs and Burnley games will be key if he is to win back any proper support.

It's not just the one game though. QPR is just the latest one so its easier to mention. He's record is awful. Is it 29pts in 33 games? Ultimately the buck stops with him and if even with new players and a new no2 he can't improve us he has to go. The players are not playing to their potential. Against Everton we were beaten before we went out in the pitch. We have only been the better side in one half against Hull otherwise we have been defencive. Our possession stats our at 38% this season which I'd guess is normal for Lamberts tenure. We are in the bottom couple for virtually every statistic. There are loads of reasons to get rid of Lambert and I've not seen any real reason to keep him.

I'm just wondering what it'll take to get the backers to finally change their mind? It's not a personal attack on those that still back him its just how much worse can we actually get? Lose 11 home games this season instead of the previous 9 and 10? Theres only so many seasons the man can consistently prove to be not up to the job and frankly two was enough for me.

Day after last season i was genuinely expecting him to be sacked and lets face it the way some PL managers have been in recent years this one would be one of the more justified and yet here he is with a new 4 year contract while we still suffer the exact same problems as his first season, lack of goals, conceding lots of goals including a fair few drubbings a season, no creativity, we dont move or pass the ball well infact i think we've consistently been bottom of the tables in all of those things since he arrived? Record home defeats, 20 something win %? What more does the guy have to do at this point?

I'm just wondering what it'll take to get the backers to finally change their mind? It's not a personal attack on those that still back him its just how much worse can we actually get? 

We could finish 16th, or 17th or god forbid lower than that.

As far as I can tell we've budgeted like we're aiming to finish 17th so anything above that and he's outperforming the targets Randy's set for him IMHO.

We spent **** <£5m in the Summer. Our revenue should have been >£100m for last season. What the ****.

Â