Paul Lambert

limpid

But none of that disagrees with what I've just written. I dont' see what's so hard to grasp about what Mantis said.

It is incredibly subjective, and you can disagree with it, fine. I disagree with it myself. But that doesn't change what Mantis said and that was that he didn't think we could attract better than Lambert.

NOT, that there is nobody better than lambert, which is how his posts seem to have been interpreted

See Ben you have fallen into the same trap yourself there -

you write "what Mantis said and that was that he didn't think we could attract better than Lambert."

which is not what you wrote previously "that he doesn't think anyone that we could currently attract would do a better job."

and is probably the root cause of the issues and people questioning the statement. Normally you could just pass that off but as you rightly point out in your first post its a key part of the counter argument.

Anyway that is all context and I think it's clear now where most stand on the issue from posts and likes etc

Back to the subject in hand .......... Lambert !!  :-)

But none of that disagrees with what I've just written. I dont' see what's so hard to grasp about what Mantis said.

It is incredibly subjective, and you can disagree with it, fine. I disagree with it myself. But that doesn't change what Mantis said and that was that he didn't think we could attract better than Lambert.

NOT, that there is nobody better than lambert, which is how his posts seem to have been interpreted

See Ben you have fallen into the same trap yourself there -

you write "what Mantis said and that was that he didn't think we could attract better than Lambert."

which is not what you wrote previously "that he doesn't think anyone that we could currently attract would do a better job."

Is this a wind up?

I don't see how the meaning of those sentences are different.

Edited by Stevo985

I wonder if our first 9 games were in a different order the 10 points we've got from them might appear better than they look now. We're just 3 behind United after all and results wise we've had one bad one - QPR and one unexpected one Liverpool. 

We've 3 tricky fixtures now against Spurs, West Ham and Southampton. We will see how we do from them before starting to worry. 

• Like 3

I wonder if our first 9 games were in a different order the 10 points we've got from them might appear better than they look now. We're just 3 behind United after all and results wise we've had one bad one - QPR and one unexpected one Liverpool.

We've 3 tricky fixtures now against Spurs, West Ham and Southampton. We will see how we do from them before starting to worry.

It isn't just about the points though is it? We look like we don't have a plan, we have one formation, no urgency, players like statues, the ability to find a man - for the opposition, terrible crossing, no width...

Things wrong which come from the training pitch.

And anyway, like I said before. Games against Arsenal, City and Chelsea were used as proof of progress last year, now they are meaningless. As I asked before, what changed?

I guess it COULD be that it suited the pro-Lambert argument, but now it doesn't?

I was pondering this myself.

If they'd been ordered lose-win-lose-win etc, how would we all be feeling?

It's a moot point, because how the results occurred does matter. it's more than just points on the board. But I do think there would be less of a backlash.

its not the points. 

Its not the league table (yet).

Its not even the defeats. Anyone can accept a defeat (or 5) if there are positives to take away.

Its the (lack of) style of play, 

Its the manner of the defeats.

Its the lack of belief that we can complete with anyone anymore.

Its the lack of progress on the pitch.

Its the fact that many of us don't see how things will improve under this manager.

And worst of all, Its the small club mindset that has seeped into Aston Villa.

So its not the things that actually matter....... eg. points on the board, league position and results. 

Its the subjective stuff that we don't like that means he should be sacked. So what we are really saying is that we are like Allardyce's West Ham side. A couple of players away from a half decent outfit with a manager who has a reputation for a single style of play? 

Lambert should be given until at least Mid December to sort this stuff out. If he doesn't by then he should be sacked but he still has time for me. If we'd have picked up out points alternating with defeats like CVByrne says there wouldn't be so much negativity. 

• Like 1

its not the points. 

Its not the league table (yet).

Its not even the defeats. Anyone can accept a defeat (or 5) if there are positives to take away.

Its the (lack of) style of play, 

Its the manner of the defeats.

Its the lack of belief that we can complete with anyone anymore.

Its the lack of progress on the pitch.

Its the fact that many of us don't see how things will improve under this manager.

And worst of all, Its the small club mindset that has seeped into Aston Villa.

That's quite odd in a way buddy, the important things (points) are not important to you?

I'd say give him until Xmas.  He'll have Beneteke back and up to speed, Delph should be back, Senderos and Vlaar should be back and up to speed and he'll have absolutely no excuses.

I'm as tired as the next fan after these last few weeks, believe me, but I'd say give him until Xmas, when we've played everyone and then we can assess where we are.

Sometimes, it only takes one result to put a spark back.

I'm completely indifferent at the minute though. 

• Like 2

He has had over 2 years to sort his shit out.

What is miraculously going to turn the team round between now and Christmas ?

He is not going to suddenly become a decent coach over the next 2,4,10 games. He has PROVED over the last 2+ years that he is not good enough.

Look at his record (and broken records), it speaks for itself.

I don't get why people now say I'll give him to December. Whats a few weeks and a few more games going to prove? I'm sure we will pick up the odd win over the next couple of months and I'm fairly confident we will survive. But what for? To do it all again next year?

I've seen enough to tell me that we're going nowhere under Lambert.

• Like 1

It might not be as extreme but then it hasn't happened has it? We have lost 5 in a row without scoring and look truly awful.

And if we're honest its not just this run of games. I read yesterday that in his last 33 league games he's picked up 29 points. It's been going on for far too long.

Who are the 18 (other than Mantis, Richard) who think we should keep the manager? I'm interested to know.

I haven't voted because I've not logged in on my computer but I wouldn't get rid of him now. No desirable likely alternatives to come in IN MY OPINION.

This opinion may change if we arrive in Burnley having not scored in 8. I like PL though. I'm not excusing recent performances. I was at Everton and QPR and felt thoroughly let down by the team, two of the worst performances I've seen in a long time. The players like Lambert though so I don't think it's like they aren't playing for the manager.

• Like 1

I don't get why people now say I'll give him to December. Whats a few weeks and a few more games going to prove? I'm sure we will pick up the odd win over the next couple of months and I'm fairly confident we will survive. But what for? To do it all again next year?

I've seen enough to tell me that we're going nowhere under Lambert.

Because we did actually start the season well, and with a more favourable run of fixtures coming up I'd like to see if Lambert can recapture that.

If he can't, then get a new manager in place for the new year and give him the window to sort it out.

I don't want Lambert to fail, and I don't think giving him until Christmas will damage us too much, even if I do think it may be delaying the inevitable.

This is all dependant of course. If we go out and lose our next 3 miserably then I'll be saying enough is enough.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I don't get why people now say I'll give him to December. Whats a few weeks and a few more games going to prove? I'm sure we will pick up the odd win over the next couple of months and I'm fairly confident we will survive.

Genghis Khan couldn't lead us to (anything that could be described as) glory with our budget. If we're going to survive then that's near enough as good as it's going to get.

But what for? To do it all again next year?

Welcome to the Premier League era.

Â