Paul Lambert

limpid

I am probably very much in the minority but I would prefer to give him another season, especially if the financial restrictions might be lifted. Has he made mistakes over the past 2 years? Hell yes, but don't we all from time to time? As long as he learns from them and makes changes then it will benefit us going forwards. If we get rid of him, then who will want to come to us?? Who would we realistically get? Some manager that failed in at least one other club in all probability! Do you really think that a new manager would do much better with the current bunch of fit players? What this club needs is stability, the more successful clubs have kept the same manager for more than 2 seasons. Look at Arsenal, Everton (with Moyes), Man U (with Ferguson). I know that Chelski and $ity have changed their managers much more but they are huge spending exceptions who just buy success. I still believe that Lambert is a good, young manager and that there are exciting times ahead for The Villa...

I honestly do not think Lambert will ever be a good manager for us, even if he had money to spend.

He'd just continue to buy more dross and play limited, prehistoric tactics. We know what he is, Martin O'Neill without the man management skills. And if you doubt me, read up about Paul Lambert and the one manager he idolises and still calls "the gaffer" - Martin O'Neill. He's the last person I'd give an injection of cash to.

Chances are with talk of this takeover someone better will be lined up anyway.

If he were given a huge sum of money, I can't decide if I think he'd go on to buy proven players to build a strong core to the team along with the occasional gamble on unproven players with potential, or if he'd make it his mission to buy 100 of the best players league 1 has to offer.

I am probably very much in the minority but I would prefer to give him another season, especially if the financial restrictions might be lifted. Has he made mistakes over the past 2 years? Hell yes, but don't we all from time to time? As long as he learns from them and makes changes then it will benefit us going forwards. If we get rid of him, then who will want to come to us?? Who would we realistically get? Some manager that failed in at least one other club in all probability! Do you really think that a new manager would do much better with the current bunch of fit players? What this club needs is stability, the more successful clubs have kept the same manager for more than 2 seasons. Look at Arsenal, Everton (with Moyes), Man U (with Ferguson). I know that Chelski and $ity have changed their managers much more but they are huge spending exceptions who just buy success. I still believe that Lambert is a good, young manager and that there are exciting times ahead for The Villa...

I kind of agree - but I think he has too much 'Baggage' now.  Villa is a big club, with Big expectations - unfortunately the club isn't funded or managed well from above Lambert. - I don't believe his stock has been to damaged by his time here  - he may well decide to jump ship and throw his hat in the job ring - a decent championship club would be as low as would have to go...

I think that no matter what the little green fella with the big ears says, there is a "try" not just a "do" - I think that Lambert during his time here can be seen to have tried - he's tried different personnel, different formations, different styles of play, we've been dour, we've been cavalier, we've been naive, we've been baffling, but he's never settled for safe - in his signings too, he's been bold, he's taken chances, he plucked the unknown, even when he's spent money, it's never been on the predictable - he's not tried to make us a team that can finish twelfth or thirteenth - he's tried to make us a team that can do more than that - try and do; different things. He's a risk taker as a manager, even when he must know it'll bring him criticism - he's gone with five at the back today for example - and at times during his career, it'll click and he'll have great periods - it's not quite worked out for him here, but like the poster on the last page, I'll wish him well when he goes, because I think he's tried to do something with what he had.

Great Post

• Like 3

i'll just remember the 6 wins at home and the constant droll of the "rose tints" that we really are improving.

thanks for the memories ,Paul

I just think its to much of a risk! If he has funds buys some decent players and we still don't perform, all hell will break loose. His had 2 seasons to prove his worth, even some consistency would have been nice. I just think its to late.

Im a little worried about VillaR to, but it'll be for the best chap!

I honestly do not think Lambert will ever be a good manager for us, even if he had money to spend.

He'd just continue to buy more dross and play limited, prehistoric tactics. We know what he is, Martin O'Neill without the man management skills. And if you doubt me, read up about Paul Lambert and the one manager he idolises and still calls "the gaffer" - Martin O'Neill. He's the last person I'd give an injection of cash to.

Chances are with talk of this takeover someone better will be lined up anyway.

Except that he isn't really that much like O'Neill. Whether or not he's done a good job or whether he could do a good job is up for debate but there are more differences than similarities.

Although I haven't particularly enjoyed his tenure, there have been some good points, knocking Citeh out of the cup last season, Liverpool 3-1, relegating droopy face's QPR, Sunderland 6-1, having the indian sign over Norwich, Arsenal 3-1, Man City 3-2 and Chelsea 1-0.

Problem is these have been too few and far between and we have never "pushed on" with him as manager.

I can understand the constraints he has had to work with but he himself has done quite well financially out of this club.

As well as the failure to push on, the main reason I want him gone is that we continue to get the simple stuff wrong and I can't see this changing. His coaching staff created a real stink around the club and that was inexcusable and added an extra worry to an already dire situation. I reckon that's the main reason none of our players really developed from last season - even Delph's early season promise hit the skids - and Albrighton has just been playing well so he can land a new contract.

Except that he isn't really that much like O'Neill. Whether or not he's done a good job or whether he could do a good job is up for debate but there are more differences than similarities.

Name all these differences then. I'll repond with all the similarities and we'll see which outnumbers which.

I would still like to see how he does next season if the financial constraints are lifted (if indeed this take over does go ahead). If his criteria for success over the past 2 years was "get the wage bill down whilst keeping us in the league" then he has been successful. Not successful in our eyes, but we are not the ones who are setting these criteria. If your bosses asked you to do something then you would do it... Or find another job.. It wouldn't matter whether you upset people by doing what you were asked... If it did, you would quit.... We all disappointed on where the club is, but will bringing in a new manager bring an instant turn around in fortunes? Picture the scene, we get a new manager in (and it won't be a big name manager) and the results are poor (no Benteke until Christmas) and we end of getting relegated just after Christmas.... Who on here will say "we were right to get rid of Lambert" as we begin planning trips to Milwall?

The grass isn't always greener.

If we give Lambert until Christmas to see what he can do, then make a change if need be... It's been a shit season and us fans are hurting BUT we live to fight another day and like a Phoenix we will rise from the ashes and become great again... Let's all breathe a huge sigh of relief and look forward to a well-deserved break over the summer (my winter) and let's forget about this season.... But be very careful what you wish for because we could have had a much worse season.. I am sure the Cardiff and Fulham fans would trade places in a heartbeat.

Randy and Paul both need to go now. PL has done his bit and kept us up, and Randy is the biggest single gainer of that.

We need a whole new book, not just a new chapter.

Edited by AVTuco

Two things I can't forgive, the inability to come with an answer to our woeful home form.

And secondly the business with his assistants. How can he have allowed something to fester within the club on his watch.

For what it's worth though, I feel like he's talking like he knows his fate. Lambert's tone has changed significantly since Lerner's public statement.

Two things I can't forgive, the inability to come with an answer to our woeful home form.

And secondly the business with his assistants. How can he have allowed something to fester within the club on his watch.

For what it's worth though, I feel like he's talking like he knows his fate. Lambert's tone has changed significantly since Lerner's public statement.

Points at Home

2011/12 - 19

2012/13 - 20

2013/14 - 21

Points wise we have progressed at home under Lambert

1. Lambert knows he is gone #avfc

11:24 PM - 3 May 2014 · Details
    AiACaogCAAEjwKR_normal.jpg
    Tweet text

Dismiss
    Image will appear as a link
  2. @Chiefy009 yeah very much going through the motions in that interview

3. @Chiefy009 looks dejected. Despite him not fitting I still like the guy. Still talks us up as the club we are and should be.

4. @Chiefy009 @AVFCTransTweet personally like to see what he can do with some money behind him for good players.

Personally I thought Lambert had actually done a decent job this season but I just can't understand this collapse since the Chelsea win. We've had bad periods like this earlier in the season but never this bad and while the loss of Benteke was a blow I fail to believe he's the difference between mid-table and relegation form. I mean, we did ok with him out before Christmas (with Kozak admittedly).

Agree with this to a point, that until the latest collapse I thought he had done ok this season and was looking forward to is pushing on next. We were what, 10th place, closer to Newcastle than we were relegation.

But we were in fact rubbish throughout Benteke's initial injury, when he was playing with it as well as particularly when he wasn't. His goals and his all round ability papered over the cracks and we were unable to adjust to life without him at his best, or there at all. We became a one man team and for me, a large part of that fault lies with the manager.

Retrospectively I don't think he has spent his money wisely either. Does anybody really think we'd be any better now with Kozak in the side? We were crying our for help in midfield, it never came.

We're in a sorry state. Time to turn over another page.

Â