Paul Lambert

limpid

Actually while at the game, I wondered wtf is going on! I thought some of his subbing and timing was strange and that we were lucky the baggies are so shit going forward

they did score 3 goals, maybe shit isnt the word ;)

Sorry You are right and I should have said in the last 20 minutes. The way we played in the last 20 allowed their streak of piss Olson to make at least three long runs and tactically I felt we backed off to much.

that Olsson thing is quite shameful to watch especially how he was made look like a top class playmaker strolling through the pitch when he created the Anichebe shot

We're in the top half of the table, 3 points clear of the team below us....and there's only 2 teams above us I'd say we have a chance of getting above even if we had bought an expensive number 10 (the second-tier teams have got much stronger in recent times, like Spurs and Liverpool). I'd say Lambert is doing very well with the quality of players that we have.

If you were offered this progression a year ago today I'm pretty sure everyone on the board would have ripped your arm off.

I kind of agree but when we're spending on average about £2m a player I'd expect us to be dominating the possession in most games and at least top 8. Our average points per game is still very low as well. If we'd signed a lot of the players that teams below us have signed in the last 18 months then we would surely be in a better position going forward, after all if you don't pay Premier League wages then you'll get nowhere.

This post absolutely baffles me.

sarcasm.gif

• Like 2

Needs to be given cash to build! He's doing a great job so far.

No he isn't. His overall result stat is still very poor and I'd want to see a lot more consistency from him tactically and from the team before I'd go anywhere near making a statement like that.

Yes he is. He gutted an expensive and wasteful team, built a new one at a fraction of the cost and is improving us. He is doing an exceptional job. Regarding overall results, we're no man city and results wise we're in the ballpark of what you'd expect for a young team. You know all this though.

I see the 'yo yo' argument has resurfaced.

By stating 'he is doing an exceptional job' are you referring to the last few results or the overall?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/26/aston-villa-paul-lambert

I fully acknowledge the above article was written at the end of last month and does not incorporate this months results but it is less the 'yo yo' argument and more a statement of Lambert's overall performance.

The second stat 'win ratio 33%' is again more prevalent to the overall rather than based on one small section of performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Lambert

Do I accept as you say that those poor performance stats are solely due to an inexperienced team? No I do not.

You would expect some fluctuation in form due to inexperience and your right i'm not blind to that but up until the last few performances we have been generally poor now for nearly two years under Lambert's reign due to poor preparation of system in his first season asking young players to play a system that they simply weren't good enough to play in and then exercising a lack of balance in his transfer policy which very nearly relegated us. It is no surprise that Lambert has now recognised this and is targeting more Premiership experience which some of us have advocated for some considerable time now.

The lack of funding argument has also been dissected concerning signing experienced Premiership players. Who have we signed this window and who are we apparently targeting? What was the mechanism used? Are you telling me that Lambert could not have exercised that loan policy last season with the same calibre of player?

It is what it is at the moment many poor results mixed in with a few good ones and until that ratio changes I for one will not ride on the back of triumphalism based on just a few good performances.

Edited by Morpheus

People say Lambert cannot motivate players but we have taken 10pts from losing positions this season the 2nd highest in the league and only dropped 2pts from winning positions the lowest in the league.

Great stat to be fair.

One of our huge problems over the last few seasons has been conceeding late goals (honestly, we seemed to do it every single game) but it looks like Lambert has worked on this massively.  It might partly be why we've been as conservative r.e: attacking football this season, but the defence looks much more solid this season - even with Luna/Lowton as our full backs...

...granted, though, we now seem to conceed the first goal.  At least that gives us time to score rather than having points stolen away from us, right?

• Like 1

People say Lambert cannot motivate players but we have taken 10pts from losing positions this season the 2nd highest in the league and only dropped 2pts from winning positions the lowest in the league.

People talk bollocks. We have a modern and progressive manager at the helm, the only way is up for the club.

• Like 1

People talk bollocks. We have a modern and progressive manager at the helm, the only way is up for the club.

Not just a Gentleman but a scholar too.

• Like 1

The lack of funding argument has also been dissected. Who have we signed this window and what was the mechanism used? Are you telling me that Lambert could not have exercised that loan policy last season with the same calibre of player?

Whilst I agree with your post to some extent Morpheus (i.e: Lambert isn't doing an exceptional job, just a decent one), we can't really comment on last January's window like this.  For example, who knows which players were available for loan at the time?  Were we in a position to afford their wages?  Would they have actually been an improvement on the team?

Furthermore, the impetus was to, as repeated several billion times on here, build a squad.  Loan players don't give you a squad, they give you a short term solution. What we have now is a squad of players and Lambert seems to be acknowledging that areas need strengthening that haven't worked out within the cheap purchases.

Kozak out injured and we need experience?  Grant Holt on loan is someone he can trust to do the job short term.

Luna and Bennett not quite cutting the grade?  We'll bring in Ryan Bertrand for the rest of the season with a view to purchasing him if he plays well.

Lack of creativity in the middle of the park?  Wes Hoolahan is someone he can trust to do the job and would be a short term, experienced fix.

I'd question his tactics at times, but his signings have all been decent for me.  Not necessarily how the players have actually performed, but what they potentially offered to the team.  As an example, Tonev hasn't worked out - but he looked like the kind of midfielder who would provide goals from an area in which we badly lack them.  The good thing with them is that they are no longer having a massive impact on our finances.  If they don't work out, we can get rid without much of a dent.  As far as putting together an initial squad goes, he's done pretty well.

The big test is this summer.

We're in the top half of the table, 3 points clear of the team below us....and there's only 2 teams above us I'd say we have a chance of getting above even if we had bought an expensive number 10 (the second-tier teams have got much stronger in recent times, like Spurs and Liverpool). I'd say Lambert is doing very well with the quality of players that we have.

If you were offered this progression a year ago today I'm pretty sure everyone on the board would have ripped your arm off.

I kind of agree but when we're spending on average about £2m a player I'd expect us to be dominating the possession in most games and at least top 8. Our average points per game is still very low as well. If we'd signed a lot of the players that teams below us have signed in the last 18 months then we would surely be in a better position going forward, after all if you don't pay Premier League wages then you'll get nowhere.

This post absolutely baffles me.

I presumed my sarcasm detector was broken. I don't understand it.

Well yeah I was trying to be sarcastic highlighting how daft the expectations of what some people expect Lambert to have achieved in the time he's been here, with the main suggestion being he should have either signed players who have since gone on to play for teams doing worse than us on much higher money, or even keeping the likes of Bent and Hutton. He's done everything he's been asked to do and things will only improve. Keep it up Lambo.

• Like 2

Well yeah I was trying to be sarcastic highlighting how daft the expectations of what some people expect Lambert to have achieved in the time he's been here, with the main suggestion being he should have either signed players who have since gone on to play for teams doing worse than us on much higher money, or even keeping the likes of Bent and Hutton. He's done everything he's been asked to do and things will only improve. Keep it up Lambo.

Ah, sorry, I didn't detect the sarcasm.

Thought he got his subs and formations spot on today.

- Subbed Holt for Lowton. Lowton was struggling defensively and we had just taken the lead. Pushed Bacuna into a defense and Holt gave us fresh legs to aim at.

- Subbed KEA for Sylla. Not KEA's best game. While I didn't think Sylla did much, he was fresh legs in an outnumbered midfield.

- Subbed Wiemann for Baker. Last 10 minutes and WBA are pushing. Changed to a 5-3-2 system with 2 target men up front to hold the ball up and slow down the play.

Actually while at the game, I wondered wtf is going on! I thought some of his subbing and timing was strange and that we were lucky the baggies are so shit going forward. I agree that Lowton was struggling (looked like he had taken a knock as he limped off) - so Bacuna at RB had to be done, but I would have brought Albrighton on instead of Holt who was all over the place.

KEA ditto had run out of steam so Sylla was a no brainer but when he bought Baker on ,Bacuna hadn't got a clue for 5 minutes whether he was still at RB or supposed to play RW.

I was watching lambert and culverhouse on the bench going nuts as they clearly hadn't got the message out on what the formation was supposed - they were not happy but I think it was of their own making.

I think you're talking rubbish.

Holt was bought on as a destroyer, which he did an amicable job of. Baker was a switch to 5-3-2 and as for Bacuna not knowing what he was supposed to be doing, that's more an issue with the player I suspect. A player that cost £800k.

The idea was to shut up shop because the game was getting stretched as both sides were tiring after such a rollercoaster. Whether you conjour up some hypothetical situation in your mind where the baggies are better going forward is by the by, it worked. We beat the team in front of us, deservedly so.

It's no wonder Lambert and Culverhouse were animated, weren't you?

He didn't seem keen on hugging that fan yesterday after the second goal.  Pushed him back into the crowd.

Lambert out!

He was only doing what Culverhouse had told him to do to be fair to PL

Â