Paul Lambert

limpid

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Come on bro.

It wasn't all bad under him.

Nearly all shit apart from the odd game you could say this season as well. Does that mean Smith is a fraud?

Lambert had a truly awful team and somehow managed to keep us up for 2 seasons.

He wasn’t given the budget smith was either. He had to shop at Poundland.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So has Smith, we spent average 10 million per signing last summer. Peanuts in Premier League

Wesley, Samatta and El Ghazi combined cost less than Joelinton or Haller

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yet he created the bomb squad and devalued the players he had. 
Then some of his signings were very questionable about why they were signed. There were other cheap strikers about, yet he signed Jordan Bowery, someone who had never looked like a player 

• Like 1

Benteke could be considered his only big money signing. Westwood, lowton. Lambert gave the player who came through the academy like Clark, Baker, Weimann a chance. He wasn’t a bad manager just got burnt out at villa and lost the plot at the end. 

If smith keeps us up then he will go up in my estimations but relegation we are back to square one.

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yet he created the bomb squad and devalued the players he had. 
Then some of his signings were very questionable about why they were signed. There were other cheap strikers about, yet he signed Jordan Bowery, someone who had never looked like a player 

The bomb squad. Was he not told  to reduce the wage bill. 

Just now, PaulC said:

Nope was confirmed that he set it up himself and gutless so he was afraid to tell the players to there face

Bannan confirmed this few months back

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Benteke could be considered his only big money signing. Westwood, lowton. Lambert gave the player who came through the academy like Clark, Baker, Weimann a chance. He wasn’t a bad manager just got burnt out at villa and lost the plot at the end. 

If smith keeps us up then he will go up in my estimations but relegation we are back to square one.

When he was given money he spunked it on Kozak even though we had loads of strikers and were badly short elsewhere

I don't care what his backers say. He was/is a mumbling anti-football word removed. I said he'd **** Ipswich up and I was right.

My opinion, strangely shared by many others.

Like @Xela said, not only did he make me hate football, I actually stopped attending because of him and his shit football and "tactics" that just didn't work.

He did me a favour there financially though ;)

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Even if he was, which others said below, how was sticking them in a bomb reducing the wage bill. It’s in fact making it harder to get rid of players 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Did a good job keeping us up. Sadly turned into a dinosaur in his last season.

We played some good stuff in his 1st season.

Literally the exact opposite. His dinosaur counter attacking football in year 1 was us at his best. When he went all continental and tried to bring in a passing style of play we went to rat shit. Westwood 85% pass accuracy peak. zero shots zero goals zero forward passes.

• Like 3

Don't get the people who say he made them hate football because of how bad we were. Did Alex McLeish and his famous Dutch 4-3-3 not already manage to accomplish that the year before? We played shockingly similar ineffective football from Houllier for most of the season to McLeish to Lambert, Sherwood, Garde and even Smith this season at times. The common thread being all of those teams were just poor in terms of quality and to be fair Lambert had the worst of them all. From Bennett to Bacuna to Tonev to Kozak to Sylla etc etc, we had a pitiful excuse for a squad. I wouldn't have backed that squad to finish in the playoff places in the Championship. So not really sure what people were expecting there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Season wrapped.

Guided Ipswich to a mammoth 11th place. Their lowest since 1952.

as I posted in the other thread, his personal highest position finish since 2011. I think he has managed every season since then

Goes against the spirit of this thread but read a good article last week on his 18 months at Dortmund. I didn't actually realise he was an out of contract midfield who just went on trial there. For some reason I thought he was at Celtic first and Dortmund picked him up (he actually joined Celtic after his german spell) but Motherwell actually released him and he was fixed up on trial and won a contract. Did a great job on Zidane in 97 euro final which is remembered for Lars Ricken goal.

On 09/03/2020 at 16:37, Keyblade said:

Don't get the people who say he made them hate football because of how bad we were. Did Alex McLeish and his famous Dutch 4-3-3 not already manage to accomplish that the year before? We played shockingly similar ineffective football from Houllier for most of the season to McLeish to Lambert, Sherwood, Garde and even Smith this season at times. The common thread being all of those teams were just poor in terms of quality and to be fair Lambert had the worst of them all. From Bennett to Bacuna to Tonev to Kozak to Sylla etc etc, we had a pitiful excuse for a squad. I wouldn't have backed that squad to finish in the playoff places in the Championship. So not really sure what people were expecting there.

Everyone knew how we'd play under McLeish and it panned out exactly like we thought it would...dismally.

I think there was hope with Lambert given the swashbuckling way Norwich adapted to prem in 11/12. Comfortably stayed up and were an exciting team to watch. I think they'd have been found out the next season though and think he knew that so our offer was pretty good timing.

Annoying after all we went through in 12/13 that we didn't build on the promising ending when we were exciting to watch. He didn't help himself just buying endless lower league players just to bulk up the squad when 2-3 higher calibre players were needed. Will be similar situation if we stay up in the summer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Everyone knew how we'd play under McLeish and it panned out exactly like we thought it would...dismally.

I think there was hope with Lambert given the swashbuckling way Norwich adapted to prem in 11/12. Comfortably stayed up and were an exciting team to watch. I think they'd have been found out the next season though and think he knew that so our offer was pretty good timing.

Annoying after all we went through in 12/13 that we didn't build on the promising ending when we were exciting to watch. He didn't help himself just buying endless lower league players just to bulk up the squad when 2-3 higher calibre players were needed. Will be similar situation if we stay up in the summer.

He had a budget like 10m per window. That either gets you 1 halfway decent player or 2-4 paltry squad fillers. Since we were battling for our lives, I can see why the latter seemed the better proposition. That 15-0 Chrismtas period really did a number on him. He saw what a couple of injuries could do to our squad. When you're down to starting Herd and Lichaj in the same defence, you know you're in trouble.

But yeah there were too many false dawns under Lambert. The end of the 12/13 season was so promising. I felt like we had a chance to win in every game, especially the away ones. The start of 13/14 was really good too. Beat Arsenal, played Chelsea off the park, masterclass in the League Cup and then pure tripe. Beginning of 14/15 same thing. 10 points first 4 games and then utter trash. So frustrating.

• Like 1

Â