Paul Lambert

limpid

To blame tactics alone for our poor goalscoring form is naive in my opinion. It is obviously a massive part of why we aren't scoring but it is also a lot to do with confidence, lack of quality creative players and also partially to do with trying to tighten up at the back and not having the right players to be able to be both an attacking and defence force at the same time.

• Like 1

put out a side worthy of Aston Villa

what does that actually mean
19 games; 2 wins and 7 goals. Justify this with a team I personally think is not far off the standard of Southampton. Ohh, but they have a manager with a little tactical abilty.I would argue all day long with fans who continue to say no other manager could do better here. As I have just mentioned one of the best managers in the league who would (I have no doubt) have this team playing more confident tactical football, with an end product, i.e goals, and im sure a winning mentality, somethin Lambert has struggled with ever since he sighed that 1st contract.
not sure how your post relates to my question posed there to be honest, maybe you quoted the wrong one

More of a reminder what your supporting.

my supporting what?
  • Like 1

To blame tactics alone for our poor goalscoring form is naive in my opinion. It is obviously a massive part of why we aren't scoring but it is also a lot to do with confidence, lack of quality creative players and also partially to do with trying to tighten up at the back and not having the right players to be able to be both an attacking and defence force at the same time.

I agree, nothing exists in isolation. The tactical decision to concentrate on possession affects our ability to score goals, which in turn affects the player's confidence, which leads them being less willing to push forward and create opportunities. It's not certain that changing tactics would lead to us scoring more goals, but what we're doing at the moment is clearly not working, so it has to be worth a try.

As for the lack of creative players, if we're playing tactics that we don't have the players to implement doesn't that suggest that the tactics are wrong?

Can't go with all of that. You get your tactics correct, formation, movement etc, and it will allow greater opportunities to be creative increasing the confidence within the squad. Confidence will also come from the belief that what you are doing is correct. Tactics are imperative in top flight football and to suggest the players at a premiership club cannot transition from defence to attack or visa versa is very naive.

Lambert has himself said the squad is his strongest, if this is the case and I think we all agree it is, why are we in reverse?

I agree, nothing exists in isolation. The tactical decision to concentrate on possession affects our ability to score goals, which in turn affects the player's confidence, which leads them being less willing to push forward and create opportunities. It's not certain that changing tactics would lead to us scoring more goals, but what we're doing at the moment is clearly not working, so it has to be worth a try.

As for the lack of creative players, if we're playing tactics that we don't have the players to implement doesn't that suggest that the tactics are wrong?

I'd suggest you need creative players regardless of what tactics you are playing. Even the most defensive orientated teams would require at least one creative players whether it be a winger, a midfielder or a striker who can create something out of nothing.

Exactly what they're going through right now on Soccer Saturday relating to us.

Can't go with all of that. You get your tactics correct, formation, movement etc, and it will allow greater opportunities to be creative increasing the confidence within the squad. Confidence will also come from the belief that what you are doing is correct. Tactics are imperative in top flight football and to suggest the players at a premiership club cannot transition from defence to attack or visa versa is very naive.

Lambert has himself said the squad is his strongest, if this is the case and I think we all agree it is, why are we in reverse?

You say its very naive but yet we are a Premier League club that can't transition from defence to attack so naive it is not. Lambert is most likely at fault for that but without going round in circles again it comes down to far more than just tactics.

I'd suggest you need creative players regardless of what tactics you are playing. Even the most defensive orientated teams would require at least one creative players whether it be a winger, a midfielder or a striker who can create something out of nothing.

True. Honestly I don't know what to think anymore. *Sigh.* At this point in the week villa just depresses me. Give it a couple of hours and I'll probably be angry again, though. Edited by Villanun

**** moron, you don't drop Benteke at any point. We don't create **** all we are hoping he creates something out nothing like he's done for all his goals so far.

Yeah, drop our best player, great idea. Cleverly still playing? How?

I actually hate him with a passion. Chelsea 12-0 please, get this idiot out of our club.

• Like 1

They're only pundits ;)

**** moron, you don't drop Benteke at any point. We don't create **** all we are hoping he creates something out nothing like he's done for all his goals so far.

I actually hate him with a passion. Chelsea 12-0 please, get this idiot out of our club.

Agreed!! Dropping Benteke shows Lambert has lostit! i mean not like he has had much supply from midfield?? I've said before 4-4-2 at moment with Weimann (who linking up well with Gil) and Benteke up front with Sinclair on left and Gil on right this formation would lead to goals..

Edited by Villan4Life

They're only pundits ;)

Such a smart arse ain't ya  ;)

I'd guess that the thinking is that we're not getting anything out of this game regardless, so we're resting Benteke for the hull match. Seems defeatist to me, but possibly it could be argued that he's just being realistic.

They're only pundits ;)

Sure thing; they're not fans (possibly Merson aside).  They're not purely looking at what the manager is or isn't doing.

1) Wanting us to lose? Some fan.

2) If a player is in dreadful form, seemingly showing no effort on the pitch then you drop him. Nobody gets a free pass.

I'm a Seahawks fan. Seahawks players lose their place if they're shit regardless of their status or reputation. Superbowl twice in 2 years. If you create a culture where you are undroppable regardless of your effort or application then you're asking for trouble.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Got some balls to drop Benteke.

Fair play Paul.

He may need dropping but Chelsea is not the game to drop the guy who has the best chance of scoring. Bad move for me.

I'd rather he was dropped against Chelsea than against Hull, personally.

• Like 3

Â