Paul Lambert

limpid

I have been of the opinion for some time that in the main the managers we have had over at least the last 10 years have basically been poor in the transfer market.

Whether the managers themselves are just poor talent spotters or whether their scouts are poor or indeed the money is restrictive force i don't know....I just know the players that have worked out for us you can almost count on one hand.

we have let go of Crouch, Sidwell,S Davis, Cahill,Ridgewell,Gardner,Whittingham, just to name a few and having spent millions and millions we have no better now than we did c 10 years ago....that cannot in anyones book be progress.

we have instances of managers like Gregory who bring on loan Luc Nilis....is'nt that the standard of player we should be looking at if they are Mature, we now bring in Grant Holt.David O'Leary who I hated at least brought in Laursen and Solano....one was dominant and one was a crafstman.

ours look all the bloody same, I could pick the team with a hat pin.

We simply don't target the right types....The team is bereft of any guile or presence. I'm not just picking on them but when i see Clarke and Baker on the team sheet I just Cringe...you just see what craft some of the teams have up front and you may as well throw the towel in...its almost laughable.

We are now using Okore and Kozak as mitigating circumstances....is there any evidence to suggest it would be any better.... we are just clinging to hope.

Players like Barry, McCarthy, Nolan, we should be in for players like them not lightweights who just get pushed around......The word must be now, get in their faces press them and they will fold.

I can't remember a Villa team that can be so changeable in such a short space of time ,as this one.

The games i have seen this season, we have done well when the front three have turned up and have their mojo working we can at least strike on the counter....but by and large the ball control is woeful...anyone presses us we go to pieces.

Its like 2 steps forward 1 step back...it ain't going anywhere.

We do not have the money to bring in the likes of Barry, McCarthy or Nolan. There wages are too high for us. How many times does this have to be mentioned? this is the market PF and RL are happy with us shopping at, they are more interested in the balance sheet to making us self sustainable, sacking PL will do nothing to change this approach. PL has been poor, but lets stop hiding from the fact the financial support for the job he had to do is ridiculous. He had to remove the high earners and replace them with cheaper options. Our defence i.e. (Vlaar, Okore, Clark, Baker, Lowton, Luna, Bennett are possibly on equivalent to Dunne, Collins and Cuellar were paid.

thing that frustrates me is why did he change the system from WBA and Liverpool game when we played good football to some negative drivel of last 2 games

That Everton playing 3 at the back when it just invites pressure is just ridiculous.

As long as our away form holds up and we are safe I'll be broadly supportive in the hope he can buy better players in summer which will improve our home form.

I do think he has a number of positives as a manager but also a lot of weaknesses. Very similar to a lot of our "promising" youngsters in a way.

Thought he got his tactics all wrong on Sat. Gabby who is one of our biggest attacking threats was never in game. The only tactic to get him on ball was a flick on from Benteke, painful stuff with no plan B.

edit

Just realised I "liked" a team in match thread that was very similar to what we ended up playing. So I got my tactics all wrong too ;)

Add me to the pile of reprobates on this site that knows nothing about football !!

Edited by villaglint

I honestly can't see a new manager improving our home form much. We've been absolutely dire at home since McLeish and overall not very strong at home for almost as long as I can remember. I think it goes deeper than just the manager or playing style.

Saturday's result was one of the reasons why I had hoped we would wait until the end of the season to offer a new deal (or to start talks).

I don't think he deserves one but he is doing what is asked of him so far (which is keep the club in the league regardless of standing/performances it seems), I think the majority of fans have turned or are slowly turning on him.

If we stay up the board should thank him and let him go but chances are he will be offered a new deal.

Also people claim who can do a better job that is for the board to decide and find; problem is I don't trust them either.

• Like 1

Sacked.

If we lose to Cardiff?

No he won’t, i still think it would be daft to sack now.

I also think he is a better manager than he’s currently showing now, not that he’s amazing but he’s better than current form.

Look at the difference in one player makes when Vlaar is fit, and our overall performance.

If the purse strings are a little less tight this summer as has been muted and thats a big IF then i think a few decent players would make the world of difference.

It still gripes me that we do not play our youth players. I hear the argument that they are not ready or throwing too many in will ruin them. Now fair enough we couldn't throw them all in and no one is expecting us to. But for the final 10/20 mins would they do any worse than the likes of holt? Fulham yesterday brought on an 18 yr old against man utd, we should be doing that with the likes of Gardner/Johnson/Robinson etc

• Like 3

I'd only be open to him leaving at the end of the season (presuming we stay up) if the current spending controls are going to be relaxed. Could be pretty counter-productive sacking him otherwise.

That would be a bit harsh.

"Thanks for doing the dirty work and taking all the shit from the fans, but now we're going to start spending, we're going to get someone else in".

I will still judge his performance next season as I believe he has had the toughest job in the Premier League since he came in.

• Like 2

I'd only be open to him leaving at the end of the season (presuming we stay up) if the current spending controls are going to be relaxed. Could be pretty counter-productive sacking him otherwise.

That would be a bit harsh.

"Thanks for doing the dirty work and taking all the shit from the fans, but now we're going to start spending, we're going to get someone else in".

I will still judge his performance next season as I believe he has had the toughest job in the Premier League since he came in.

I don't believe he should be sacked at the end of the season by the way, I just don't think that scenario would be as bad as him leaving but the level of backing staying the same.

I have been of the opinion for some time that in the main the managers we have had over at least the last 10 years have basically been poor in the transfer market.

Whether the managers themselves are just poor talent spotters or whether their scouts are poor or indeed the money is restrictive force i don't know....I just know the players that have worked out for us you can almost count on one hand.

we have let go of Crouch, Sidwell,S Davis, Cahill,Ridgewell,Gardner,Whittingham, just to name a few and having spent millions and millions we have no better now than we did c 10 years ago....that cannot in anyones book be progress.

we have instances of managers like Gregory who bring on loan Luc Nilis....is'nt that the standard of player we should be looking at if they are Mature, we now bring in Grant Holt.David O'Leary who I hated at least brought in Laursen and Solano....one was dominant and one was a crafstman.

ours look all the bloody same, I could pick the team with a hat pin.

We simply don't target the right types....The team is bereft of any guile or presence. I'm not just picking on them but when i see Clarke and Baker on the team sheet I just Cringe...you just see what craft some of the teams have up front and you may as well throw the towel in...its almost laughable.

We are now using Okore and Kozak as mitigating circumstances....is there any evidence to suggest it would be any better.... we are just clinging to hope.

Players like Barry, McCarthy, Nolan, we should be in for players like them not lightweights who just get pushed around......The word must be now, get in their faces press them and they will fold.

I can't remember a Villa team that can be so changeable in such a short space of time ,as this one.

The games i have seen this season, we have done well when the front three have turned up and have their mojo working we can at least strike on the counter....but by and large the ball control is woeful...anyone presses us we go to pieces.

Its like 2 steps forward 1 step back...it ain't going anywhere.

We do not have the money to bring in the likes of Barry, McCarthy or Nolan. There wages are too high for us. How many times does this have to be mentioned? this is the market PF and RL are happy with us shopping at, they are more interested in the balance sheet to making us self sustainable, sacking PL will do nothing to change this approach. PL has been poor, but lets stop hiding from the fact the financial support for the job he had to do is ridiculous. He had to remove the high earners and replace them with cheaper options. Our defence i.e. (Vlaar, Okore, Clark, Baker, Lowton, Luna, Bennett are possibly on equivalent to Dunne, Collins and Cuellar were paid.

thing that frustrates me is why did he change the system from WBA and Liverpool game when we played good football to some negative drivel of last 2 games

That Everton playing 3 at the back when it just invites pressure is just ridiculous.

I was referring to the types not them specifically....We are too bloody lightweight.....there is no physical scrap in us.

we Bought Shaun Teale many moons ago from Bournemouth for next to nothing, thats the kind of mentality we want, we have boys that play like boys.....are you honestly telling me that there is not a more robust right back in the lower leagues for the same money as Lowton.

too many excuses and too much misjudgment.

Edited by TRO

He has to do something about the Home Form....its clearly not working and we know all the injury problems we have, but something must be done.

We are conceding soft goals at home in a schoolboy fashion.

I would play 2 players as DMs in front of Clarke and Baker, maybe Herd and another maybe Sylla that can sit and protect them, until Vlaar and Okore can come back.

we are exposed with these 2 guys, we must help them.

Albrighton must be in so we then have 2 midfieldes and 2 strikers

Herd is not my favourite player, but at least he can mix it with these neanderthals at the lower end of the league.

We have to toughen up and get in to em.

Ps we are not even drawing at home, which is bad enough, we are now starting to look like a "nailed on defeat".....He has to change something and come up with a plan.

Edited by TRO

Look Don't misconstrue what I'm saying I am no fan of Tony Pulis's Football Philosophy, If I can call it that.....but if he came in we would not be losing to West Ham in the manner we did.....and I'm not saying overall he is a better manager than Lambert, but I think he knows how to get about teams.... we need to do that right now.

We talk about who is out there, like its some kind of poison Chalice job, no its not, its a bloody great job.

I still stand by my view that we have signed too many lightweight players....but managers like Pulis would be getting them more out of them than i think Lambert is.

I look at Lambert,Faulkner and Lerner and I don't see conviction or a win at all costs mentality....its all so passive and manyana, manyana..." we go again"......yea down at this rate.

You look at Mourinho and Ferguson, even Pulis and our own Ron Saunders( its that eye of the tiger)....There is a serious fight in their faces....its like don't come back in this dressing room, if you've been coasting.

West Ham and the Crystal Palace results are whats wrong at this club..... We should not be losing in the manner that we do to these sorts.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Would anyone even be talking of sacking him if the home and away forms were switched? Or if each was a mixed bag rather than us being very bad at home and very good away?

Our away form isn't very good. We are smack bang in the middle of the away form table.

Would anyone even be talking of sacking him if the home and away forms were switched? Or if each was a mixed bag rather than us being very bad at home and very good away?

which do think is most likely to happen if anything does......Home form improves or away forms fades away ?

Your Home form should be your fortress,its where you entertain your paying customers,its where you reward your season ticket holders for commitment and loyalty, its where you usually build your belief from....its basically everything, its your platform....its where your box holders entertain and spend fortunes...they must feel like laughing stocks.

We are not even drawing now, its just a nailed on defeat.... We are now getting beat regulary by teams arguably worse than us.

Our Home form should be the topic of calling an extraordinary meeting for the powers that be, its that serious and it has been allowed to go on for far too long.

Our Home form is now becoming an epitome of how badly this club is being run for allowing this to go on for as long as it has, without any kind of centred redress.....its appalling.

what is it now guys 11 wins in about 50 home games....HOW HAS THAT BEEN ALLOWED TO GO ON.

SHOCKING

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

For me half the issue isn't how little we win at home but also how often we lose. It's just so easy to beat us at home, which is strange because we're generally pretty difficult to beat away.

Edited by Mantis

Â