Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't think those who want Lambert to do well and believe in what he is doing are wrong.

But nor are those who recognise his failures and limitations.

I have had doubts from day 1, I still have doubts, but I still hope he is the right man and can turn things round. At this very moment in time I see precious little evidence that we are going forward, but I believe that can change. 

• Like 4

To be fair, we have shown progression this season, albeit only a small amount.

In my opinion we have if you are looking at league position but in terms of performances I think we have gone backwards. I expected us to kick on after the last few months of last season, but we haven't at all.

• Like 1

Lambert got a three year deal. His job was to change this club and the playing staff upside down. When he is at the end of his first three years at the club, we will know if he has succeded. In the meantime, keep calm and carry on.

He is in talks over a new contract. That 3 years could blow out to 5. Would you give him that long? I have serious doubts.

To be fair, we have shown progression this season, albeit only a small amount.

In my opinion we have if you are looking at league position but in terms of performances I think we have gone backwards. I expected us to kick on after the last few months of last season, but we haven't at all.

I'm in the same boat. I was willing to back him in his first year and even this year....

... but I find myself disappointed after our run last year. I had hoped to see a gradual improvement in performances - but that is not what I am seeing.

We can say that we are a small number of fans who post on this site compared to the number who attend games, and we have wide differing views. We have the Lambert yes men, and the Lambert haters, and a number of fans who don't care either way. The game yesterday was sad to watch, because we saw the awesome fans at the ground giving up on him and the team. I've never seen in a long time the amount of empty seats (that were filled) with 10 minutes of the game left. The fans didn't believe we had a chance, and that's not a good situation to be in.

The fans have been awesome this season, their singing, and support for the team. Sadly the way Lambert is setting his team out is not giving many much hope. Fans go to the games to support the club, but even they can only take so much tripe served on a plate.

Yes we played better in the second half, but only because West Ham sat back on their lead. The first half when we should of been the team on the front foot, we were very poor. What I see is Lambert set out negative tactics at home, and we are usually under a lot of pressure, and then cave in. IT seems the players say sod him, and "We're going to go for it", and play the way we can play. The players are the ones who bring us back into games (not Lambert), but the pressure Lambert puts on his team to play so defensive leads to individual errors.

He needs to let the players be the best they can, and not stifle the ability they do have. I want Villa to succeed, and if that's Lambert at the helm I can handle that. What I can't handle is week in, week out a team of under achievers, due to the managers lack of tactics, motivation, and defensive tactics.

• Like 4

`

Lambert is not a winner.

DORT3.jpg

How did Peter Withe get on as a manager?

:crylaugh: Lambert proved himself at Norwich (Villa fans sung his name at Norwich before he was appointed). Why are people trying to change history?

`

Lambert is not a winner.

DORT3.jpg

:crylaugh: Lambert proved himself at Norwich (Villa fans sung his name at Norwich before he was appointed). Why are people trying to change history?

we sang his name because we had McCleish and i think there was a rumour even then that we might be in for Lambert.

I would have sung the name of *insert worst manager ever* in preference to McCleish at that time.

I think sacking Lambert would be a huge mistake and will come back to haunt us (Joe Mercer).

I wonder how many of the "younger" ones on here would know about Joe Mercer and the Mercer Minors in our history - our decline started around the time Joe left (was sacked) and the mercer minors dismantled I believe. That is if my old brain can recollect correctly. 

blimey, we are going back.....bring back Tommy Cummings.

This talk of new contract steamed from us looking nice and safe in 10th ..a very naive approach by the board given the points separating us from 3rd bottom and thus results go against us this weekend and we down to 12th.

Big week now with 2 games against teams in worst form than us  should we take little or nothing from them games and continue to perform poorly all talk of a contract should be shelved.IMO talk of a new contract whilst we once again fight to stay in the league added to the abysmal home form should not of happened anyway.

I would have sung the name of *insert worst manager ever* in preference to McCleish at that time.

A large majority of people wanted Lambert.

I was one of them.I was wrong. Any manager stands or falls on results , and his are with a few exceptions, bloody awful. We are categorically not making progress where it counts, on the pitch. Like many others I was happy to see him appointed. He has however drained me of any enthusiasm for his continued tenure. A new manager may be no better, he would certainly be inheriting a pretty poor squad of players with which to work with. But I'm prepared to take that chance rather than continue watching the club I love flounder any longer under this managers clueless tactics and worryingly poor transfer dealings.

• Like 1

`

Lambert is not a winner.

DORT3.jpg

we sang his name because we had McCleish and i think there was a rumour even then that we might be in for Lambert.

So, McLeish in preference to McCleish then?

• Like 1

I don't think those who want Lambert to do well and believe in what he is doing are wrong.

But nor are those who recognise his failures and limitations.

I have had doubts from day 1, I still have doubts, but I still hope he is the right man and can turn things round. At this very moment in time I see precious little evidence that we are going forward, but I believe that can change. 

thats just about where I am....I wished I had a more certain view.

A large majority of people wanted Lambert.

I was one of them.I was wrong. Any manager stands or falls on results , and his are with a few exceptions, bloody awful. We are categorically not making progress where it counts, on the pitch. Like many others I was happy to see him appointed. He has however drained me of any enthusiasm for his continued tenure. A new manager may be no better, he would certainly be inheriting a pretty poor squad of players with which to work with. But I'm prepared to take that chance rather than continue watching the club I love flounder any longer under this managers clueless tactics and worryingly poor transfer dealings.

Pretty much where I am.18months in and still he can't get his team to perform consistantly.

I have been of the opinion for some time that in the main the managers we have had over at least the last 10 years have basically been poor in the transfer market.

Whether the managers themselves are just poor talent spotters or whether their scouts are poor or indeed the money is restrictive force i don't know....I just know the players that have worked out for us you can almost count on one hand.

we have let go of Crouch, Sidwell,S Davis, Cahill,Ridgewell,Gardner,Whittingham, just to name a few and having spent millions and millions we have no better now than we did c 10 years ago....that cannot in anyones book be progress.

we have instances of managers like Gregory who bring on loan Luc Nilis....is'nt that the standard of player we should be looking at if they are Mature, we now bring in Grant Holt.David O'Leary who I hated at least brought in Laursen and Solano....one was dominant and one was a crafstman.

ours look all the bloody same, I could pick the team with a hat pin.

We simply don't target the right types....The team is bereft of any guile or presence. I'm not just picking on them but when i see Clarke and Baker on the team sheet I just Cringe...you just see what craft some of the teams have up front and you may as well throw the towel in...its almost laughable.

We are now using Okore and Kozak as mitigating circumstances....is there any evidence to suggest it would be any better.... we are just clinging to hope.

Players like Barry, McCarthy, Nolan, we should be in for players like them not lightweights who just get pushed around......The word must be now, get in their faces press them and they will fold.

I can't remember a Villa team that can be so changeable in such a short space of time ,as this one.

The games i have seen this season, we have done well when the front three have turned up and have their mojo working we can at least strike on the counter....but by and large the ball control is woeful...anyone presses us we go to pieces.

Its like 2 steps forward 1 step back...it ain't going anywhere.

Edited by TRO

`

Lambert is not a winner.

DORT3.jpg

because we ain't very good judges.....Arsene Wenger was appointed from Japan, who would have known his pedigree, thats where David Dein came in ,so knowledgeable. There must be good managers out there now, but who knows who they are.?

When you ask the likes of Alex Ferguson, he is going to stitch you up, why wouldn't he, we are competition.....you have to have your own people with the knowledge. 

• Like 2

I dreamt he got fired last night.  But I also dreamt I was part of an FBI team consisting of me, Gillian Anderson and an android going house-to-house to find evidence of zombies.

So I wouldn't read too much into it.

A year and a half in the job and we really do not have anything to show for it. Our squad is the definition of poor.

I'd like to to see a change of manager but really do worry about Lerner/Faulkner's ability to find anybody half decent.

• Like 1

Â