Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't think he'll ever have a job as big as Villa if he leaves or is sacked

Depends. People forget his Norwich team were above us in the league and his last game was a 2-0 nil win against us. It screams of Joe Mercer.

No disrespect, but it seems your the only one who still fully backs lambert!

Maybe I know there is nobody better out there who we could attract under Lerner.

I defy any fan who's seen the majority of our home games this season to back Lambert. From what I've seen there's no sign of progress. Our style of play is predictable and doesn't get results. To put it in perspective, my season ticket costs £400 (one of the cheapest in the ground) and for that, I've seen 3 home wins, and a grand total of 12 goals (7 of those came in 2 games)

When I hear that we're making progress, quite rightly I think, I'd ask how is this possible?

I'm sure I'm not the only season ticket holder who thinks I'm not getting good value. Our home form has been crap for years. We've gone out of cup competitions to lower league opposition in the last two seasons. I'm sure the renewing campaign will start in the next couple of months, so I'm interested to hear from Villa why I should fork out again for next year.

One things for sure, if Lambert is still in charge, it's unlikely I'll be forking out again.

But to Quote Gentleman, he knows "there's no one better out there".

I defy any fan who's seen the majority of our home games this season to back Lambert. From what I've seen there's no sign of progress. Our style of play is predictable and doesn't get results. To put it in perspective, my season ticket costs £400 (one of the cheapest in the ground) and for that, I've seen 3 home wins, and a grand total of 12 goals (7 of those came in 2 games)

When I hear that we're making progress, quite rightly I think, I'd ask how is this possible?

I'm sure I'm not the only season ticket holder who thinks I'm not getting good value. Our home form has been crap for years. We've gone out of cup competitions to lower league opposition in the last two seasons. I'm sure the renewing campaign will start in the next couple of months, so I'm interested to hear from Villa why I should fork out again for next year.

One things for sure, if Lambert is still in charge, it's unlikely I'll be forking out again.

Which is totally understandable.

• Like 1

I said i'd wait until just after the January window closing to review my opinion on Lambert and unfortunately it still hasn't changed. Apart from some good performances this season which you could easily count on one hand we are still playing some God awful football under him and we must not pick up another defeat against Cardiff or we will have to start circling the wagons again. 

• Like 3

But to Quote Gentleman, he knows "there's no one better out there".

Michael Laudrup......

Some managers are born winners, Big Ron won cups at the Villa when we were underdogs, Fergie won the league last season with a similar team to the one that Moyes cannot get top 5.

Lambert if he was a winner would have beat Bradford over two legs and brought the trophy back to VP. Lambert is not a winner and no amount of time or backing will change that.

• Like 3

He'd had over £40m, and has wasted 90% of it. Take the full back situation. Both Bennett and Luna are absolutely atrocious. So bad that we've had to take somebody on loan to correct the mistakes. Why not take a loan from somewhere in the first place, or spend the money on one decent player rather than two dire ones. And he's made similar mistakes all over the place, eg the midfield. Tonev, KEA, Sylla and Westwood. Dismal non-entities to man. Then the money wasted on Bowery, Helenius and Kozak. He's had enough money, he's just spread it too thinly on absolute dross.

And you seriously think all the players signed were his "top targets"? Also ignoring the fact Lambert has been working to reduce the wage bill at the same time. Lerner has final say on targets and I am guessing decides considering the wage bill. The truth is Lambert has his hands firmly tied behind his back and is hitting the targets set by Lerner.

"absolutely atrocious" "Dismal non-entities"? Quit being so dramatic, they are average that is all that needs to be said. You get what you are willing to pay for in this game.

Your specualting again, none of this is fact. For all we know this was Lamberts CV. Promising what "he" can do with a small budget!!

I do not believe with 40 million spent no one else could have done better

To go out and buy 10-15 players for 40mill, i doubt anyone could build a premiership side with that. This is essentially what has had to happen.

Just to put it in perspective, Moyes was allowed to spend that on one player and isnt doing a good job

Edited by HeyAnty

Lambert if he was a winner would have beat Bradford over two legs and brought the trophy back to VP. Lambert is not a winner and no amount of time or backing will change that. 

Bradford was massively disappointing for everyone associated with the club. But it is nice people forget us dismantling Man City and Norwich to get into the Semi Final.

The funny thing is if we beat Cardiff Lambert will be the best thing since sliced bread.  :P I love VT.

A win against a team sitting 19th in the league isnt going to change the fact we've been absolutely awful to watch at home all season. No doubt we'll go into the Cardiff game playing ultra defensive with 5 at the back. 

So no, it wont change a thing.

• Like 1

Bradford was massively disappointing for everyone associated with the club. But it is nice people forget us dismantling Man City and Norwich to get into the Semi Final.

Which brings us back to Lambert's serious issues with consistancy and zero tactical awareness. How can we win against Man City and lose over 2 legs to Bradford ending with tactics we have seen Sunday morning!

To be honest I think alot of peoples faith in Lambert started to disappeared after watching the Bradford games.

• Like 1

Which brings us back to Lambert's serious issues with consistancy and zero tactical awareness. How can we win against Man City and lose over 2 legs to Bradford ending with tactics we have seen Sunday morning!

To be honest I think alot of peoples faith in Lambert started to disappeared after watching the Bradford games.

Inconsistency is normal with young players who are still learning the game.  Martinez and Wenger were both beaten by Bradford, I suspect them two managers are not winners? I think consistency coincides with managerial stability, I believe Lambert will improve given time and more funding on individual players. 

So yesterday we only had Bacuna on that he signed in the summer. Apart from Benteke who has been any good that he signed?

Sylla - Hardly used, very average and would do well to become a championship players

Benteke - Very good despite his off form this season, needs better players and tactics around him

Westwood - Average so far

Bowery - Not involved, youth players should have been given his spot

Bennett - Been largely poor his entire time here due to not being able to defend, championship is his level

Vlaar - Overall been good in what has been a poor defence but too injury prone

Lowton - Solid first season but now gone completely to pot, strange one

KEA - Okay but offers little quality, runs around a lot

Kozak - Not what we needed to spend 7m on, waste of funds that were needed to be spent elsewhere and despite his goals his overall play is poor

Okore - Injured so cant comment

Tonev - A youth player should take his spot

Luna - Average is being kind, another defender signed who cant defend

Helenius - Not used at all yet makes the bench every week, could be good later on but funds could have been used elsewhere and a youth player done the exact same job so far

Bacuna - Could be good, inconsistent and hasn't played in his proper position much another one average at best though

Steer - Youth backup keeper, future.

24.5m first season & 17.5m this season for 42m spend on transfer fees alone.

So he is trying to build something here, well what? Because Luna, Tonev, Kozak, KEA, Bennett, Bowery, Sylla aren't the future. He could have spent 30m of this in buying some much more solid 6-8m players plus extra with whatever wages could have been saved and promoted players like Grealish, Gardner, Curruthers, throwing loads of youth players in isn't the answer but one or two of them can play if they have good players around them.

My ratings on Lambert overall from the 2 seasons he has been here

Transfer dealings 4/10 (without Benteke this would be close to 1)

Performances 2/10

Style of play/Tactics 1/10

Results 3/10 (Relegation battle last season and 4 points off the drop now despite there being some real poor teams like Fulham & Cardiff.)

If this was McLeish he would be out the door and the fans would be booing every week. Performances have been the worst I have ever seen at Villa Park and that is a lot down to tactics and the way we try to play. Over the last couple of season who have been our most important players? Benteke, Guzan, Delph, Gabby, Weimann & Vlaar. Fair enough he resigned Guzan but to be honest 4 of them were already here when he arrived.

I cant see anything he is doing right and using this budget as an excuse is poor, there are tons of teams who have spent similar to us. Id put up with good results for bad football, or bad results for good promising performances that might get us somewhere long term but hes doing neither.

How he is still in a job baffles me.

but, futhermore, there is nothing to suggest that given bigger funds per player, that anything will get better.....its purely an assumption that we are all hoping for.

Â