Paul Lambert

limpid

I think Lambert was a pretty good manager but as many managers before him could not handle being manager of Aston Villa.  Yes he has had difficult circumstances, no doubt.  However, he has been found lacking in several areas on numerous occasions. It is a very difficult job made worse by PL's inept ability when it comes tactics, motivation and coaching.

What?

If you ask me based on what I have seen from his time here he will do well in the championship and below but like some managers out there I'm not entirely sure he is a "Premier League" manager certainly doesn't have the tactical or coaching nous for this level.

In fairness he isn't alone quite a few managers just can't cope with the premier league but do well below.

He had one good season with Norwich (PL level I am on about) which deserved the plaudits and got him the move here but it was just that; one good season in top flight football.

I can't count any of the seasons here as "good" or successful however I know people will see it differently.

• Like 1

Lambert's reign at Norwich is the only significant one so far in his managerial career. It's not rewriting history to clarify that.

It is rewriting history to claim he has been a failure everywhere else, though.

He's a good manager, managing wise.  He can buy good players with not much money.

He can set a team up to be better defensively, better attacking (1st season) and he can change the philosophy of the team (from counter to possession), but the only thing that winds me up about him is the way he sits in his dug-out most of the time, regardless of how we're playing or what the game pans out like.

All the good managers (see Mourinho, Ancelotti, Simione, Klopp (to a certain degree!)) know when to stand on the touch line yelling, when to stand there brooding, when to sit back in the dug out and when to gee their players up.

I'd love him to stand there giving lazy players a good kick up the back side, I'd love to see him geeing a player who has made a goal resulting mistake, I'd like to see him smash his dugout up if we're losing to Bradford in the Semi-final of a cup at home in front of 40,000 supporters - but he doesn't and it hurts the fans to see him sat in his dugout with his upturned eyebrows and puppy dog look.

He's good, I like him and I'm still in the Lambert In camp, but by God man, show some of the passion and fighting spirit you showed when you were playing in the Champions League Final.  Stop being so "nice".  Show us fans that you're upset, frustrated, happy, sad, annoyed - DON'T just sit there looking confused :lol:

Big game tonight, let's get some fire in the belly!

UTV :D

• Like 1

He's a good manager, managing wise.  He can buy good players with not much money.

He can set a team up to be better defensively, better attacking (1st season) and he can change the philosophy of the team (from counter to possession), but the only thing that winds me up about him is the way he sits in his dug-out most of the time, regardless of how we're playing or what the game pans out like.

All the good managers (see Mourinho, Ancelotti, Simione, Klopp (to a certain degree!)) know when to stand on the touch line yelling, when to stand there brooding, when to sit back in the dug out and when to gee their players up.

I'd love him to stand there giving lazy players a good kick up the back side, I'd love to see him geeing a player who has made a goal resulting mistake, I'd like to see him smash his dugout up if we're losing to Bradford in the Semi-final of a cup at home in front of 40,000 supporters - but he doesn't and it hurts the fans to see him sat in his dugout with his upturned eyebrows and puppy dog look.

He's good, I like him and I'm still in the Lambert In camp, but by God man, show some of the passion and fighting spirit you showed when you were playing in the Champions League Final.  Stop being so "nice".  Show us fans that you're upset, frustrated, happy, sad, annoyed - DON'T just sit there looking confused :lol:

Big game tonight, let's get some fire in the belly!

UTV :D

I'm sorry, this isn't true in the context of your post.

Lambert has  changed our style of play from an unsuccessful kick and rush to an equally unsuccessful passing style. Even I could do that. If he makes this possession strategy successful, then I'll be the first heap some praise on him.

I can't see him getting a prem job straight after us but he could well rebuild his reputation and end up back at this level.

If we lose tonight and he stays then to me the club is not putting up a fight. Just hoping things will get better when there's absolutely nothing to suggest it will is a pathetic way to run the club.

the only thing that winds me up about him is the way he sits in his dug-out most of the time, regardless of how we're playing or what the game pans out like.

So the fact that in 100 games he's managed just 25 wins, 101 points, 98 goals and a goal deficit of -63 doesn't wind you up so much?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

the only thing that winds me up about him is the way he sits in his dug-out most of the time, regardless of how we're playing or what the game pans out like.

So the fact that in 100 games he's managed just 25 wins, 101 points, 98 goals and a goal deficit of -63 doesn't wind you up so much?
Lol no. Don't get wound up by a sport (or anything else apart from maybe human suffering) in which you have no affect on the outcome.

That'd be odd.

I wasn't aware of these statistics.

One important quality about managers -- and it's not one I've seen discussed with Lambert -- is THEIR ability to put pressure on an owner. Yes, a manager serves at the owner's behest, but that's doesn't mean it's a simple master-servant relationship. A good manager has to be able to squeeze milk from a stone and rebuff stupid tactical intrusions, etc. This kind of thing takes charisma, cunning, and experience. When all is said and one, would it be accurate to say that Paul Lambert has been able to handle Randy Lerner?

I, for one, doubt it.

My guess is that they do not say much at ALL substantive to one another, but rather exist in a kind of mutually beneficial ignorance of one another. My guess is that their relationship is like those of two clams sitting on the bottom of the ocean. 

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Lol no. Don't get wound up by a sport (or anything else apart from maybe human suffering) in which you have no affect on the outcome.

That'd be odd.

I don't think it's odd at all. 

People passionately care, that's why football is the biggest sport in the world and why people go mad when their team score.

• Like 2

That'd be odd.

Erm didn't you just say you get wound up by Lambert sitting in the dugout most the time!!?

Â