Paul Lambert

limpid

I believe that when Lambert and Villa part company he will never manage a club in the premiership again.

I strongly believe the exact opposite.

Me too.

In fact I'd back him to be successful at his next club as he was at his previous clubs. There's more wrong with this club than Lambert, although I recognise he's a huge part of it.

He was succesful at Norwich, one hit wonder. He failed everywhere else

Just absolutely not true.

I believe that when Lambert and Villa part company he will never manage a club in the premiership again.

Me too.

In fact I'd back him to be successful at his next club as he was at his previous clubs. There's more wrong with this club than Lambert, although I recognise he's a huge part of it.

Statistics would suggest he'll never do that well again, the game is littered with managers who were the in thing for a while after doing well with a smaller club, but who then fizzled out into obscurity.

Me too.

It was pretty "meh" everywhere.  An undoubted failure at St Mirren, he did OK at Wycombe and mid table at Colchester.  He seemingly got the job at Norwich on the back of that 7-1 win, and then inherited a Norwich squad with Grant Holt.

Wycombe to the playoffs and an unprecedented League Cup Semi FInal from League 2 is a pretty decent achievement.

Similarly with Colchester. he didn't do anything amazing but he only had one season, and they haven't done much better since (mid table or flirting with relegation)

I'm not saying he was amazing, but I'd class Norwich and Wycombe as successes. or rather, certainly not failures.

he certainly wasn't a "failure" anywhere but Livingston, which was his first job.

To claim he was a failure "everywhere" else is literally lying.

Edited by Stevo985

Me too.

It was pretty "meh" everywhere.  An undoubted failure at St Mirren, he did OK at Wycombe and mid table at Colchester.  He seemingly got the job at Norwich on the back of that 7-1 win, and then inherited a Norwich squad with Grant Holt.

He was expected to gain promotion with Wycombe who were beaten play off finalists the season before he arrived, they didnt get promotion or make the playoff final. Colchester had just been relegated from the Championship when he arrived they were expected to make a promotion push/playoff place and I think he finished 9th or 10th then buggered off after one game the following year. Had 3 good years at Norwich and had 3 shit years at Villa. Overall his career has been average.

• Like 1

Me too.

Can I ask how you come to that opinion?

I see someone who isnt very good tactically, cannot make a substitution that will change a game (i appreciate that he can only work with what he has). Yes he has signed some good players but then doesnt appear to know how to use them and most importantly I judt dont see players getting better under his management. They either stay the same or get worse. I dont dislike the guy but would prefer it he was manager at Birmingham City rather than us.

• Like 1

I can't see him managing a team already there but I can see him managing a championship team with realistic hopes of promotion.

Me too.

I see someone who isnt very good tactically, cannot make a substitution that will change a game (i appreciate that he can only work with what he has). Yes he has signed some good players but then doesnt appear to know how to use them and most importantly I judt dont see players getting better under his management. They either stay the same or get worse. I dont dislike the guy but would prefer it he was manager at Birmingham City rather than us.

You realise I'm not talking about his time at Villa don't you?

He'd be a major coup for someone like Forest or Leeds, I believe he'd lead them back to the Premier league and keep them there. The longer we can hang onto him the better.

Edited by useless

He inherited a Wycombe that had finished 6th the season prior and managed 12th and 7th in his two seasons there. The perception of his spell there is being inflated purely due to the cup run.

At Colchester, he took over in the aftermath of their relegation from the Championship and finished 12th in his only full season there which isn't admirable by anybody's standards.

He was basically an alright manager (by lower league standards), went on a great run with Norwich and has subsequently exposed his limitations here.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Me too.

to be fair, his substitutions when we were down 2-0 against WBA last year were perfect.

Could be his last game in charge tonight if it all goes tits up.......

I think if we lose tonight then he will get sacked.

If we lose tonight and he doesn't get sacked then he really is unsackable this season, imo.

I don't think he would get sacked even if were relegated. He has got a team promoted in the past so Lerner will probably see him as the ideal manager.

I'm starting to think that Lambert could pull someone out of the crowd and beat them to death on the halfway line and Lerner wouldn't even notice.

I think Lambert was a pretty good manager but as many managers before him could not handle being manager of Aston Villa.  Yes he has had difficult circumstances, no doubt.  However, he has been found lacking in several areas on numerous occasions. It is a very difficult job made worse by PL's inept ability when it comes tactics, motivation and coaching.

• Like 1

Â