Paul Lambert

limpid

For some perspective, Palace finished last season in a comfortable 11th on 45 points scoring only 33 goals in 38 games and a -15 goal difference. I do think we need to score more, but I think our defence is a bigger priority as it is a better platform to build from. In Lambert's first season we were scoring a lot, but our defence was terrible and that just wasn't sustainable. It's easier to improve our attack from a good defensive position than to improve our weak defence while maintaining our previous style. I'm hoping to see Lambert move towards some middle ground this season.

I don't think that really provides perspective, rather it quotes a single outlier in an attempt to cast doubt on a statement that was backed up with a broader set of supporting stats. 

I think the original post raised a very interesting concern. My only reason for not discussing it further here is because there is already a thread called "Goals (or lack of) " where it would be better placed. 

My apologies. I Just found it on page 2.

It will but not withstanding that I refer to my original point, I doubt few teams have had our points return having scored so few. Plus few teams will have gone down having accumulated the points we have at this stage.

So while relegation is possible personally I think it is unlikely even if we stay up being low goal scorers.

We shall see I guess in time.

I agree, we probably have more points at this stage than teams previously relegated but our lack of ability to score goals over the course of a 38 game season is quite likely to return a low points total.

Like you said, I guess we shall see in time.

We have managed to get point scoring a low amount. But how realistic is it that this continues for the rest of the season?

I'd be surprised if we became the first team to stay up scoring just over 20 goals.

I said the same thing as pacbuddies I think we need 30 goals to make sure we survive.

• Like 1

For some perspective, Palace finished last season in a comfortable 11th on 45 points scoring only 33 goals in 38 games and a -15 goal difference. I do think we need to score more, but I think our defence is a bigger priority as it is a better platform to build from. In Lambert's first season we were scoring a lot, but our defence was terrible and that just wasn't sustainable. It's easier to improve our attack from a good defensive position than to improve our weak defence while maintaining our previous style. I'm hoping to see Lambert move towards some middle ground this season.

it would be interesting to see how many goals they scored before pulis took over compared to after he became manager.

Edited by krisagg75

it would be interesting to see how many goals they scored before pulis took over compared to after he became manager.

In league games only I believe that Palace scored 7 in 12 before he took over and 26 in 26 after he took over.

• Like 1

We have managed to get point scoring a low amount. But how realistic is it that this continues for the rest of the season?

I'd be surprised if we became the first team to stay up scoring just over 20 goals.

I said the same thing as pacbuddies I think we need 30 goals to make sure we survive.

Based on the stats I think in excess of 35 goals is probably more like it. 30 goals would be extremely close for comfort unless our defence played out of their skin for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

I don't think that really provides perspective, rather it quotes a single outlier in an attempt to cast doubt on a statement that was backed up with a broader set of supporting stats. 

I think the original post raised a very interesting concern. My only reason for not discussing it further here is because there is already a thread called "Goals (or lack of) " where it would be better placed. 

It's not that it was a single outlier, but more like they immediately came to mind as a recent example of a team similar to how we're performing so far this year so I thought the comparison was fair. Our defence seems to be solid at the moment and we're grinding out results similar to Palace last year, while not scoring that much. Not sure if it will last throughout the season though.

We were in a similar position last season too what we are in now, after we beat west brom at villa park on the 29th of January we were 10th on 27 points well clear of crystal palace what followed was a complete collapse and must not happen again. We have a team capable of 11/14th which would be considered progress after the last few years of struggle. Hopefully those 9 games without a win got our bad spell out the way.

• Like 2

It's not that it was a single outlier, but more like they immediately came to mind as a recent example of a team similar to how we're performing so far this year so I thought the comparison was fair.

Outlier or not, quoting Palace's performance last season only supports the points being made by the posters who first raised this. Palace had a very poor start to the season and scored very few goals before Christmas. Then under a new manager their performance improved beyond all recognition and it was this unusual combination that produced a mid table finish coupled with such a low goal count.

What I think the posters are saying is that without a similar radical improvement in our goal scoring we will end up with a very low total for the season and the questions are: 1) can we see how a radical transformation in goal scoring will take place and 2) if we don't get such an improvement, can we avoid a relegation struggle with a very low goals total?

At the moment my answers to this are 1) no 2) probably. But quoting the very unusual experience of Palace doesn't throw much light on our case.

Unless...getting back on topic, you are suggesting the answer is to change manager like Palace did so successfully last year?

• Like 2

If my auntie had a dick she'd be my uncle. No point worrying about maybes.

Right now our defence is good.

If your auntie has a dick, tell her to get it removed please, as I will be in Poland 12-14th Jan 2015

:rolleyes:

Now that we seem to have gotten past more of the pro and anti arguments, I think this thread acts almost as an "after game thoughts" thread, and thus...

...I thought we were good today.  If anything, we were actually spurred on by the (incorrect) red card - Man Utd were more threatening up until that point.  The defensive core of Guzan and any/all of Okore/Vlaar/Clark looks so, so solid.  Sanchez is improving in midfield and Delph coming back is an obvious boost.  The notion of keeping the ball more is a good choice and allows us to build; and we were brave (and correct) to keep this against Utd.  Benteke is obviously a class act, of course.  It's a shame we can't keep a completely settled side due to injuries and suspensions, but I think the signs are promising.  I genuinely think we would've got a result against the Baggies had it not been for Richardson and, whilst the "second best" team today, we still could've won this.  De Gea's save from Benteke was superb.

Irrespective of whether or not Paul Lambert is the right man for Aston Villa (I've still got time for him), I think we're starting to show signs of a settled team that needs to add quality - especially in a creative sense.  Is anyone massively worried about relegation?

• Like 1

Â