Paul Lambert

limpid

As an aside I think as a group we have been far far more patient than either west ham or newcastle fans.

In each of their cases the managers had brought success prior to long poor runs.

If Lambert had done what either of them had he would easily have got another half a season on top of the two and a half he has had....which is an almost unprecedented run of patience from fans towards a rather unsuccessful bloke.....which perhaps those who are critical of those who have had enough should bear in mind.

• Like 2

Ok what i meant was people are still trying to make out that nothing is black and white with Lambert, there is so much grey, so many mitigating circumstances. I wonder how long people will keep saying this.

For those cautiously optimistic after the last four games, say we beat Leicester and show signs of continued improvement - where do you think we would go next? 

My opinion is that even with a change in luck the max this squad and manager could hope for is 12-15th place finish - maybe a place lower or a place higher. But is that good enough? Are we happy just with survival or mid-table finishes?

Can we get enough stability to provide a platform to build on? Well only with careful and fairly substantial investment, but we'e up for sale and surely Lerner won't spend anymore that he has to (to keep us from relegation.) so how will we progress?

Lambert is capable of getting our players working hard and giving their all, if you look at the defence and midfield vs Palace, the players worked their butts off. But we've been here before, we've looked solid, we've won games by smash and grab breakaway tactics and desperate last ditch defending - but never have we sustained any momentum. We've never pushed on, showed consistency or potential - Lambert has never won more than two or three prem league games in a row (i think). Usually a freak injury or result is all it takes to derail any form we might get, yes that could be true of any team but our confidence and squad depths is always wafer thin.

I would support Lambert if I saw just one bit of evidence, no matter how small that our tactics, our players, our club as a whole was in some way improving. I will happily walk blindly towards any kind of hope and cling on for dear life. But all i see is a very average team and limited tactics, capable of the occasional upset but ultimately never capable of more than avoiding relegation if we are lucky.

• Like 1

Its all so bloody brittle.....and there is no signs that it will become durable.

all you can do is live for the moment and gain solace from every win.

we rely on just a small cluster of players for any semblance of hope and they just become targets for the media to tantalise us....with exits.

Edited by TRO

I would love rid him, soon .. but not now .. ideal was end of the season when contract was expired..but we give him 4 years extended which is bad call by lerner.

i would love see we go get michael laudrup or
Ralf Rangnick  (2 of them is my top list to manager, as both are bring good style football and mental, tactical master) both was my want list before we get Lambert (he was 3rd choice in my list when Mcliesh sack)

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

I would love rid him, soon .. but not now .. ideal was end of the season when contract was expired..but we give him 4 years extended which is bad call by lerner.

i would love see we go get michael laudrup or Ralf Rangnick  (2 of them is my top list to manager, as both are bring good style football and mental, tactical master) both was my want list before we get Lambert (he was 3rd choice in my list when Mcliesh sack)

It may well have been a bad call for you and at the very least a questionable one for many others but for Lerner he probably couldn't believe his luck. He has managed to convince someone to stay at the club and work under his ridiculous restrictions whilst also maintaining the value of his asset.

• Like 3

Laudrup? Christ! No thanks. He's like Kevin Keegan in that he goes in and raises the spirits of the club because he's a big name but it soon transpires that he has absolutely no idea about management and he quickly gets found out - he didn't even go to training at Swansea IIRC.

• Like 3

Leicester is the perfect game for Lambert to prove himself and gain a few more fans back. Its at home and they are a struggling team. No need to set up defensively or at any point drop deep into defensive play. He needs to prove at home he has faith in the players to play good attacking football for 90 minutes, Benteke's back so no excuses. Its shouldn't be much of a scrap against Leicester and even the pro Lambert supporters cannot disagree he owes it to the fans at home,

I will be there and im expecting a good performance no excuses. Lambert its over to you, prove me wrong, pleeeeeese!!!

Absolutely. We should go for the win and not be so reluctant.

I'm going to out myself:

I actually like Paul Lambert but I don't like the way the club is being run.

I'm glad the club is working towards making itself financially viable which is what we need moving forwards.  I do not want us to rely on the whim of a billionaire who at any point can say sod this for a game of soldiers and bugger off leaving us it big trouble.  Portsmouth, Leeds etc

The bit I dont like is the appearance of no plan from top (Lerner not Lambert).  I can put up with having to cut back etc if we showed signs of having a plan of how to do it.  Hopefully Tom Fox can do that.  You get the feeling Lambert has to deal with his plans being changed all the time.

It is no point comparing to the budget of nearly 20 years ago (i.e  ONeils Leicester) different game, different working environment.  Newcastle, Villa, Blackburn all finished top 4 back then.  In fact Newcastle under Robson looked like becoming the next team to solidify itself at the top.

Things Change. 100 years ago Villa were the big dogs but also since then Villa have been a bit part player in the scheme of things.  We have no divine right to be top 6 and we have not been a consistent team since the 1920s.

If Lambert can get himself through these difficult times and learn, I believe he can be a good manager for us.  Here we have a manager who is proud to be the manager of Villa, wants to be part of the history and I think working his hardest behind the scenes to keeps us away from relegation.

Im might be disappointed with the past few seasons but I am always proud to say I am a Villa Fan.

Edited by NIVillan
  • Like 3

I think the majority of you are wrong. I think we can end 9th-13th this season. Nay I think we will end in that band. What is also going to happen is second half of the season will be stronger than the first half and we will see the positive progress the squad has taken and achieved with financial constraints that no other club has been under for 3 consecutive years. 

We were 16th in net spend in the summer, and we've been among the lowest spending teams for 3 years. Not to mention the need to slash the wage bill meant efforts to offload players Lambert would wanted to keep like Hutton. Throw in the crazy amount of injuries we've had in the past 14 months and you can get a picture of how Lerner is assessing Lamberts performance in the job.

Having said that, I believe he now has a mid table squad. I expect him to get this team to the 9th-13th place in the League for me to have my opinions on him validated by results. 

I think the majority of you are wrong. I think we can end 9th-13th this season. Nay I think we will end in that band. What is also going to happen is second half of the season will be stronger than the first half and we will see the positive progress the squad has taken and achieved with financial constraints that no other club has been under for 3 consecutive years. 

We were 16th in net spend in the summer, and we've been among the lowest spending teams for 3 years. Not to mention the need to slash the wage bill meant efforts to offload players Lambert would wanted to keep like Hutton. Throw in the crazy amount of injuries we've had in the past 14 months and you can get a picture of how Lerner is assessing Lamberts performance in the job.

Having said that, I believe he now has a mid table squad. I expect him to get this team to the 9th-13th place in the League for me to have my opinions on him validated by results. 

Well, here's hoping.

Sadly i think it will be much like our last couple of seasons with us fighting to avoid relegation untill the very end.

We will not be in a relegation fight this season. If we had Benteke fit we wouldn't have had the problem last year either. He was injured twice and it took him ages to refind his form after his injury suffered against Newcastle. 

We've more quality in midfield and defence this season. We can see how vastly improved the defence is. We are in no real danger of a relegation fight. Win over Leicester and you'll get double figure odds on us being relegated.

Just have a bit of faith everyone. Watch this new team grow a style of play now we've Benteke back. I'm looking for a 3rd consecutive game where we have the majority of the possession. 

• Like 2

Well i agree we have a somewhat stronger squad this season.

But for me our biggest weakness is Lambert and his tactics. And sadly he's still here.

So therefore i still think we'll struggle to become a consistent, solid midtable team.

That said we might very well end up around 12th-13th if we're lucky with injuries as it will be close behind the more skilled and organized teams

• Like 1

Â