Paul Lambert

limpid

Credit where it is due: Management is a results based game and Lambert has us undefeated in 4 with a win in our last start after a record breaking bad run. It hasn't been pretty - but it was never going to be.

Does this mean I see progress? That I wish Lambert to stay? Not at all.

What I have seen under Lambert over 2-odd years has been some of the most abysmal football I have seen us play. I see nothing to convince me that he can make a difference to us short, medium or long term even if backed with MON style spending.

• Like 3

Hypothetical situation, what would people think if we finished where we are now, 12th?

Would Lambert have redeemed himself at all for anyone?

Would anyone accept that, despite the style of football, the results were slowly improving?

That's not a loaded question. I'm not sure of my own opinion on it. Just wondering what other people think.

Hypothetical situation, what would people think if we finished where we are now, 12th?

Would anyone accept that, despite the style of football, the results were slowly improving?

That's not a loaded question. I'm not sure of my own opinion on it. Just wondering what other people think.

He won't!!

Remember Mcleish was on the same points this time 2011, so its hardly a massive achievement

In order for us to finish 12th our football performances would have to notably improve (our current style is going to see us struggle big time) so by default Lambert would redeem himself.

• Like 1

He won't!!

Remember Mcleish was on the same points this time 2011, so its hardly a massive achievement

He won't what?

In order for us to finish 12th our football performances would have to notably improve (our current style is going to see us struggle big time) so by default Lambert would redeem himself.

But we're 12th now with the current style of football with, arguably, easier fixtures to come.

So I'm not sure that really makes sense.

• Like 2

He won't!!

He won't what?

But we're 12th now with the current style of football with, arguably, easier fixtures to come.

If we carry on playing the way we are we will be burnt out by feb, March, so not we won't finish 12th, unless Lambert has a little more faith in his team and we change the style.

Again Mcleish was 9th at this time last season an we finished 16th, with probably the same style.

He won't!!

He won't what?

If we carry on playing the way we are we will be burnt out by feb, March, so not we won't finish 12th, unless Lambert has a little more faith in his team and we change the style.

Again Mcleish was 9th at this time last season an we finished 16th, with probably the same style.

That wasn't the question though. The season is over, we've finished 12th. What would be your opinion?

I'd agree with him. We were 11th last year and I never felt we'd stay there because of the way we played.

If I'm honest it would take something amazing to make me think Lambert's the man to take us forward and I'm not sure 12th is amazing enough.

12th would make me think he'd done a good job this season. I'd thank him for an improved season and hope and pray for a takeover so we can have a complete fresh start.

I'd probably accept it, particularly with the ownership situation where it is right now. But unless our style of play improves I still don't think Lambert is the right guy to take us forward.

He won't!!

He won't what?

That wasn't the question though. The season is over, we've finished 12th. What would be your opinion?

Sorry to hijack but on your original question,and the one repeated I'd be happy and perhaps in the same frame of mind at the start of the season, that Lambert should be given more time.

I'm down on him at the moment because of the football we're playing but finishing 12th would mean we've drastically improved and in that mid way scenario where a couple of signings could really help us kick on, worked for Wet Spam. 

He won't!!

He won't what?

Depends? 12th is no achievement while playing mind numbing defensive football scrapping for a result. The achievement would be the entertainment that come with it. It would only impress me to come top 4 with this awful style of football.

I am far less forgiving....I think, despite the constraints more could have been done. I also think had the manager of shown a bit more on the park ,with the 46 mill, more money would have come his way.

the owner has been stung and my guess is he is reluctant to go gungho again like he did with O'Neill.

The manager has to earn his faith....its a bit like chicken and egg....maybe a new owner with no losses may be a bit more open.

I might be wrong, but thats what i think

Usmanov stuffs notes in to Wengers pockets but he just returns them. lol

So now turning losses into draws and a win, is not progress. Wow.

I've never seen so many people angry about winning a game of football, this is absolutely hilarious, please continue to seethe and I'll go grab some popcorn.

Whose angry we won?

Some are happy with the result but not the shite performance, you're obviously not one of those people. But lets not let reality get in the way of your condescending drivel.

41711451.jpg

So respond to my taking issue with your condescending and belittling attitude to those with a different opinion to your self with yet more patronising!

Sure some just come on here to feed their superiority complex and point score.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

Hypothetical question:

We hav 110% possession for the rest of the season, Gabby scores a million goals and we win the league by a thousand points.......etc....

a4uo7WF.gif

I just liked that because it's the greatest gif in existence.

I think a better hypothetical is this. We have arguably dropped 8 points (3 when we outplayed QPR, 2 twice for the late collapses against Burnley and Soton and 1 for what was likely going to be a draw before Benteke was sent off at Tottenham) over the last six games, not to mention +5 on goal difference. If we sat in 6th place with a -5 GD and 24 points, would people be happy despite the horrific football we have been playing?

*Important to note I am not saying we should have had those 8 points. Merely pointing out that it is at least arguable we should have had those 8. 

The improvement in results would be a fact, not a matter of opinion. So yes - I can accept that.

Will he have redeemed himself? Not for me. I'd want to see that the results were not a fluke by having him at least repeat it the next year.

I think it depends what happened for the remainder of the season. If we had spent most of the season flirting with relegation then sneaked a few wins at the end (like in Houllier's season) then finishing 12th would probably seem a bit hollow. If we had spent the season knocking on the door of a Europa League place and fallen short at the end, it would feel much more like progress. It also depends if we start scoring a lot more goals and playing more progressive football rather than spending most time in most games on the back foot. Edited by briny_ear

Â