Paul Lambert

limpid

I think what he's giving us result-wise is pretty satisfactory right now - do you not? It's more the manner in which we're playing that's the problem for me.

I think it's on the brink of satisfactory. We don't win Sunday and I'd say no it's not.

So what would have been satisfactory from a result point of view so far this season?

I think we're on the line of satisfactory right now. I think its just barely satisfactory. That could become more on Sunday or drop to unsatisfactory.

• Like 1

Thing is, this has been going on for 3 years. It's not a sudden drop in form or a bad patch. I am not surprised so many people have made up their minds on Lambert.

Thing is people can't accept Lambert was a victim of the constraints placed upon the clubs wage restrictions and lack of investment in playing staff in his first two seasons.

They just seem to blame the two seasons solely on Lambert and it's all down to his failings as a manager. When really this is the only season he's been able to assemble a proper squad of experienced footballers. So it is this season to judge him fairly.

But over and over people drag up the previous two seasons. That is in the past. Get over it and look forward not back. If we do well this season give credit to Lambert

I don't think you can just write off a managers history because it's in the past. A manager needs to set a baseline and improve upon it. That is Lamberts job, and ultimately, league position will define it. If we finish 15th again, we need to look at his history as Villa manager and realise that there is no progression.

However, if we finish better than 15th it shows there is progression and he will get credit for it.

That's true but I've massive caveats beside his first two seasons. He had big restraints put on him and the goal to keep the club up. 

Last season his mistakes were in his cheap foreign signings. Maybe the money would have been better spent on 2 or 3 experienced players. But injuries really played a part and the end of season collapse was bad. 

I feel this season is where I can really judge him as a manager, I'd especially hope to have a good 2nd half of the season and finish strong as that can give us a good place in the summer. 

But I know we'll get people saying, well one good season out of three doesn't mean he's any good etc.. 

What we're seeing is how it will always be I'm afraid, because of the limitations he has in bringing players in, and the limitations he has as a football manager. 

Sounds clever; is bollocks.

We have no way of knowing what his limitations are as a football manager until he gets the chance to spend proper money. What we do know is that he has improved the defence dramatically; reinforced the midfield on a shoestring, and bought two excellent strikers who have only been available for about one game in two.

Improved the defence dramatically? How do you work that one out? If you're talking purely this season then yeah, whilst we're defending better, going forward we're absolutely useless (which is probably due to the fact that we sit so deep now to defend better, so we can't go forward effectively at all). 

We will see in the next few games whether having Benteke back will make any difference to how we're going to set up, but going by yesterday, I think it's unlikely. I will be amazed if we score over 25 goals this season. 

I think our lack of attack in recent matches is down to the fact we've got the early lead in 4 of past 5 games. Combined with lack of Benteke. I think when the team are less under pressure like hopefully this weekend we can be more expansive.

If we don't score until the 70th minute and are all over Leicester for the game people will vie that differently to if we score early and don't get a second and then defend for the past 10 mins. 

When you are winning a football match you have something to lose. Defensive solidity under pressure is very important as those final minutes can define a match. 

Thing is, this has been going on for 3 years.  It's not a sudden drop in form or a bad patch.  I am not surprised so many people have made up their minds on Lambert. 

He completely lost my support with the last few games end of last season. Can he turn it around? IMO it's not something I would expect to worry about. I just feel he is not capable of it.

I am happy about the win last night and really hope  we can even back that up with a win against Leicester. I really hope we can go 2 or even 3 goals up in a game and not have an hour of worrying every game! Does it change my overall view on Lambert! No!

In many ways I don't understand him or the things he says. For example he seems to 'get' what a big club we are and what's expected of him and what's acceptable result wise but he seems to think what he is giving us is satisfactory?

Obviously he is very close to Lerner which I feel will be his ultimate downfall. Lerner and Lambert will be thought of together for all time( Lerbert or Lamner or Paundy)!

I think what he's giving us result-wise is pretty satisfactory right now - do you not?  It's more the manner in which we're playing that's the problem for me. 

I think results over performances have been the key goal in recent weeks. when Benteke got sent off Lambert must have been thinking damage limitation now, keep games tight don't concede and we can build on a few draws. We've had two late goals in 4 matches in that time. 4 consecutive games we've shut them out for 80 mins and one of the goals was a Penalty too, so open play defence has been very solid.

We can build on that. But whatever the way 3 points is what matters against Leicester, not fancy football, shots on goal etc.. 3 points. 

I think this is a decent post mark and the first one you have made about the Villa in a while I can quote and say that about!!!

Still tinged with some negativity mind you but we cant have everything.  Who knows a few more wins and you may find a lot more of your posts liked by me

Richard you had to expect some negativity surely. I have always though seen the positives in what Lambert has done.

Given what he has had to spend I think he has done very well in the transfer market. I think unlike past seasons we now have a half decent squad of players whereas before we had a decent first 11 or so but nothing to back it up. For me this is now the strongest squad, in terms of a decent mix of experience and younger lads with an overall fair sprinkling of quality, that we have had in the last 3 – 4 years.

The fact that I believe Lambert has done well in the transfer market though means that I find it of more concern that he for me hasn't got the best out of the players he has at his disposal. I don’t expect miracles by the way but I also don’t expect runs of 6 defeats on the spin, 3 points from a possible 27 and in terms of when we are in possession some dire performances. That recent run wasn't a one off by the way. It was quickly on the back of a run of 1 win in 9 and 4 points from 27 at the finish of last season.

As I said in my earlier posts though I am happy to look at the positives. Undefeated in 4 games and defensively despite injuries looking very solid at the back. We now, not for the first time under Lambert, have a foundation, in terms of results and the confidence gained from them, to build on.

Overall we have a squad of players that for me should be capable of ensuring we stay out of relegation trouble and give us a mid table finish. Defensively we look strong, work rate wise I can’t fault the players certainly since the QPR game but to achieve that mid table finish we will need to be much better when in possession which should hopefully then lead to more chances being created. This would of course result in the football we play being more easier on the eye. Can Lambert prove me and many others wrong and achieve the, what I believe are, realistic expectations I have for him? I bloody well hope so and that these recent results are the start of him doing so.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Well we can see many in this thread have made their mind up and now good results become a burden for them because it puts their entrenched views very much open to criticism.

They need to reel off the bad first 2 seasons under Lambert as that is obviously of more importance than any current team or results.

I wouldnt quite go that far CVB to be honest just that it seems that sometimes the following is adopted (not saying everyone does this just the way it seems)

Bad result and bad performance = everything is awful (regardless of opposition)

Bad result and good performance = its the result that counts so we are awful

Good result and bad performance = its all about the performance so we are awful

Good result and good performance = Well the opposition werent the best were they?

So to put it in other words, lads, 'If you criticise Lambert, you're in the wrong'.

That looks like what you're basically saying.

I don't think you can dismiss the last couple of years. Surely those who rate him do so partly on what he did at Norwich. I was excited we got him based on what he did previously and now I don't see much of a future based on what I've seen previously

I don't factor Norwich at all, or his first season in charge at Villa doesn't really register much either with me. Brought in to keep us up and cut the wage bill. He did that.

Last season was great until the end of season slump, which in part had Benteke's injury and the problems with his assistants as factors in that, but he also has to shoulder blame of course. 

Which is why this season really matters most for me on judging him. Especially how we are playing in our final 8 games of the season. 

I think what he's giving us result-wise is pretty satisfactory right now - do you not? It's more the manner in which we're playing that's the problem for me.

I think it's on the brink of satisfactory. We don't win Sunday and I'd say no it's not.

So what would have been satisfactory from a result point of view so far this season?

Exclude last seasons top 6 as we need those teams to under perform to give us results really when you look at points accumulated.

Stoke (a) - W

Newcastle (h) - D

Hull (h) - W

QPR (a) - L

West Ham (a) - D

Southampton (h) - D

Burnley (a) - D

C Palace (a) - W

I mean that's pretty darn good when you think we've had Benteke for 2 of those games and he wasn't fully fit really for one of those. 

Progress for us is being consistent in our points scoring against the bottom 12 teams. While also becoming more resilient defensively which we've seen plenty of signs of that this season already

Well we can see many in this thread have made their mind up and now good results become a burden for them because it puts their entrenched views very much open to criticism.

They need to reel off the bad first 2 seasons under Lambert as that is obviously of more importance than any current team or results.

I wouldnt quite go that far CVB to be honest just that it seems that sometimes the following is adopted (not saying everyone does this just the way it seems)

Bad result and bad performance = everything is awful (regardless of opposition)

Bad result and good performance = its the result that counts so we are awful

Good result and bad performance = its all about the performance so we are awful

Good result and good performance = Well the opposition werent the best were they?

So to put it in other words, lads, 'If you criticise Lambert, you're in the wrong'.

That looks like what you're basically saying.

No it isn't.

I don't agree with Richard, but that's not what he's saying.

• Like 1

Progress for us is being consistent in our points scoring against the bottom 12 teams. While also becoming more resilient defensively which we've seen plenty of signs of that this season already

I agree.

Interestingly, if people want to look for a sign of progress then for the corresponding fixtures this season compared to last season we are actually 6 points better off. That is a sign of some progress.

That isn't to say everything is rosey, that the football is great and Lambert doesn't make mistakes. Far from it.

But at this stage of the season being 6 point better off for corresponding fixtures to last season having spent just £10m is, in my view at least, a sign of some progress.

However for many, myself included, it's all too little too late. Watching us grab a goal then sit back and try to hold on week in week out is not what I want to see. I don't think it will keep us safe over the season!

I also think that a better manager could get far more out of that squad.

We need to replace him IMO but we also have to hope a buyer is found sooner rather than later.

I think we are in a dangerous situation.

The blind (RL) being led by The Blinkered (PL)

Yes PL has kept us in the Premier League

Yes he's cut the wage bill

Yes he has signed players that have benefitted the team/squad

Yes he has the players giving their all for him/AVFC

and yes he protects the players from the media by not critisizing them in public (aside the mumbing, this is what I admire most about him)

All good for the club immediate & long term.

But to approach the games like he has done/is doing is playing with fire in my opinion

Benteke or no Benteke, we should be creating even more going forward because Gabby & Andy don't score often enough.

To have missed chance after missed chance in the hope that we eventually score is surely better than hanging on to the hope that one, two or a few chances will be enough to get a result?

I really think a DoF job would suit him better. He's very good at what he can do, but there's too much he can't do for my liking

We need a good coach and tactician.

I fear the only thing that keeps him onside for many (incl RL) is the fact that he gets enough points on the board to survive.

One can roll out all the "Situations/Circumstances" all day long, but eventually, what PL is doing won't work season after season.

• Like 1

To be expected, people moaned about the performance, because you can't moan about the result.

Speaking personally, I'm moaning about the performance because it was a bad performance. I'll take the win quite happily, thank you very much, but I don't really feel like we deserved it. More realistic would be to say we didn't deserve to lose, but it was only one moment of individual brilliance that won us the game and I can't give Lambert credit for that because I can't honestly believe his tactics sheet reads "Lull them into a sense of false security by passing sideways, slicing clearances and generally defending like a bunch of headless chickens, then have Benteke nick the ball on the half way line and score a goal out of nothing."

I don't mean anything personal or rude by this, but; I've noticed your posts tend to talk a lot about Benteke. We'll win when Benteke's back, we lost because Benteke got sent off, that sort of thing. Genuine question: doesn't it worry you that the fortunes of an entire team rest so firmly on the shoulders of one player?

I agree.

Interestingly, if people want to look for a sign of progress then for the corresponding fixtures this season compared to last season we are actually 6 points better off. That is a sign of some progress.

That isn't to say everything is rosey, that the football is great and Lambert doesn't make mistakes. Far from it.

But at this stage of the season being 6 point better off for corresponding fixtures to last season having spent just £10m is, in my view at least, a sign of some progress.

Progress mostly made without our best player. I'm really looking forward to having him back for good now and it's effect on a much stronger more experienced team. I think Grealish will thrive in the latter part of the season in the side with Bentekes strength and Gabbys pace forcing opposition teams to defend deeper and giving him room to play in. 

Experienced teams get results regardless of how they play, which is something we are showing signs of in the past few matches and at the beginning of the season.

To be expected, people moaned about the performance, because you can't moan about the result.

Last week people moaned about the result because the performance was good for most of the game. 

If we put in a performance and a result against Leicester, the moaning will be, it was only Leicester at home we should be doing that but what about x,y,z

Stop living in the past, we've made good signings in the summer, we've a better team now than the hamstrung financially teams of the past two seasons. We're improving

But best of all, ye can moan and moan and moan and moan. But as long as the team gets results I'll be smiling and you bet you Lambert will be too. Ye can all still patter away on the keyboard of course.  ;)

have to say that it does seem a little like this at times and maybe it's because minds have been made up? With no chance of changing ?

Can't help but get the feeling that you have also made up your mind about Lambert? 

Of course I have I totally accept that and everyone I would assume gets that.

However we have had bad results and performances to prove that.  What happens if we go on a ru n of ten straight victories? Those who dont want him change their mind?

All I am saying is I am not sure our fans would be prepared to change their opinion on Lambert like wet spam and barcodes fans have done for their manager

Absolutely so PMSL. Lambert can't even manage 3. I like your use of the number 10 though, it is exactly the same number of games it took Lambert to win one.  :D

Given what he has had to spend I think he has done very well in the transfer market. I think unlike past seasons we now have a half decent squad of players whereas before we had a decent first 11 or so but nothing to back it up. For me this is now the strongest squad, in terms of a decent mix of experience and younger lads with an overall fair sprinkling of quality, that we have had in the last 3 – 4 years.

The fact that I believe Lambert has done well in the transfer market though means that I find it of more concern that he for me hasn't got the best out of the players he has at his disposal. I don’t expect miracles by the way but I also don’t expect runs of 6 defeats on the spin, 3 points from a possible 27 and in terms of when we are in possession some dire performances. That recent run wasn't a one off by the way. It was quickly on the back of a run of 1 win in 9 and 4 points from 27 at the finish of last season.

Mark,  hope you dont mind but I'll cut your post to these two paragraphs as I largely agree with the rest and these two are for me an example of why Lambert deserves just a little more patience and leeway from you and others who call for his head (some far more rabidly than yourself)

First para I agree with absolutely. Second para "hasnt got the best out of players at his disposal" thats because most of the better ones have been injured and together and for a long while.  Even now we are without our best defender and arguably best midfielder and main back up striker.  So yes the squad is better this season but he hasnt had the luxury of having the better players available at the same time.

6 defeats on the spin,  very bad but this ignores the quality of the opposition.  And that they all came at once .  if spread out over a season then a) they wouldnt have been on the spin (B) I'd argue we may have got more points against them as it wouldnt have been one after another and we could have got some momentum . confidence from other games against lower ranking teams and c) it wouldnt have put pressure on the games immediately after that run and therefore pressure on playing style as quite frankly he had to stop the rot and get a positive result of some description

The run at the end of last season,  yes another bad one but bearing in mind your point about the squad it wasnt as good then and we had our best player out toitally

So I realise I am making excuses or so it seems but for me they are legitimate and explain why he needs a little more leeway

Â