Paul Lambert

limpid

Today after a long awaited win I am up for focusing more on the positives than the negatives.

We sat back too much last night but we defended excellently something that despite a number of centre backs being out we have now done over the last handful of games. In fact arguably defensively we have done well for most of the season.

I also don’t think you can fault the lads effort since we played QPR. To pretty much a man they have given their all in every game. That for me was something that was lacking in the second half of last season. At the back end of last season we went to Palace and lost because for me they wanted it more. Last night that wasn't the case and we really dug in despite long periods of being under the cosh.

Overall this season I think the points return is just about acceptable but the performances have in the main been poor especially in possession. That is now four games undefeated though and hopefully a foundation that can be built on especially as we have a run of games over the next month or so that on paper we should be looking to get results from. Unfortunately Lambert has never strung a sustained run of form together but he has now led us into a position where he can change that. If he does and on the back of the confidence gained from some decent results the performances also improve I am sure we will all be happy.

One thing is for certain, as is often the case, a win buys Lambert a little more time certainly in terms of being under huge pressure from supporters. Although I have massive doubts that he will I do hope for all our sakes he builds on this, gets the best out the players over the coming weeks and as a by product of that alleviates the pressure on himself.

I think this is a decent post mark and the first one you have made about the Villa in a while I can quote and say that about!!!

Still tinged with some negativity mind you but we cant have everything.  Who knows a few more wins and you may find a lot more of your posts liked by me

• Like 1

To be expected, people moaned about the performance, because you can't moan about the result.

Last week people moaned about the result because the performance was good for most of the game.

If we put in a performance and a result against Leicester, the moaning will be, it was only Leicester at home we should be doing that but what about x,y,z

Stop living in the past, we've made good signings in the summer, we've a better team now than the hamstrung financially teams of the past two seasons. We're improving

But best of all, ye can moan and moan and moan and moan. But as long as the team gets results I'll be smiling and you bet you Lambert will be too. Ye can all still patter away on the keyboard of course. ;)

have to say that it does seem a little like this at times and maybe it's because minds have been made up? With no chance of changing ?

Well we can see many in this thread have made thieir mind up and now good results become a burden for them because it puts their entrenched views very much open to criticism.

They need to reel off the bad first 2 seasons under Lambert as that is obviously of more importance than any current team or results.

What did you learn from last night?

What was better than similar performances and results for the last 4 years?

• Like 1

To be expected, people moaned about the performance, because you can't moan about the result.

Last week people moaned about the result because the performance was good for most of the game. 

If we put in a performance and a result against Leicester, the moaning will be, it was only Leicester at home we should be doing that but what about x,y,z

Stop living in the past, we've made good signings in the summer, we've a better team now than the hamstrung financially teams of the past two seasons. We're improving

But best of all, ye can moan and moan and moan and moan. But as long as the team gets results I'll be smiling and you bet you Lambert will be too. Ye can all still patter away on the keyboard of course.  ;)

have to say that it does seem a little like this at times and maybe it's because minds have been made up? With no chance of changing ?

Can't help but get the feeling that you have also made up your mind about Lambert? 

• Like 1

Bad result and bad performance = everything is awful (regardless of opposition)

Bad result and good performance = its the result that counts so we are awful

Good result and bad performance = its all about the performance so we are awful

Good result and good performance = Well the opposition werent the best were they?

So true. if we win and play well it was an off day for the other team who let us do it. 

Last night was hard to watch, I only smoke a cigarette every other day more or less these days but at half time I skinned up a huge reefer and got stuck into the grappa second half!

Then looking at the stats we had more of the ball than they did! I don't remember it like that but that a good sign under that much sustained pressure isn't it? Also the best cleanly made chances were ours without doubt. Weimann again should have put us 2 up. Still though I'll let him off for how much help he was giving Hutton as the game went on. Hutton who was immense last night.

If we win against the foxes at home we'll have a last 5 of DDDWW. 9 points from 5 games is a very good return in this league. If Cole is back and wer play some nice football and win would everyone still want us to sack Lambert and get someone else in for Jan?

• Like 1

So true. if we win and play well it was an off day for the other team who let us do it.

How is this true?

People gave him credit for the first half against Burnley and the improved 70-80 mins against spurs.

He also got plenty of credit for our good start to the season.

What was better than similar performances and results for the last 4 years?

A serious answer to this would obviously be the defensive performance.

Yep, I think that's the only thing I can draw from last night that hasn't always been evident before. I'd also say we were slightly fortunate that they're not a great team.

Overall we relied on a benteke moment of magic and fighting spirit at the back. I don't see that as much of an improvement.

But best of all, ye can moan and moan and moan and moan. But as long as the team gets results I'll be smiling and you bet you Lambert will be too. Ye can all still patter away on the keyboard of course.  ;)

Can't help but get the feeling that you have also made up your mind about Lambert? 

Of course I have I totally accept that and everyone I would assume gets that.

However we have had bad results and performances to prove that.  What happens if we go on a ru n of ten straight victories? Those who dont want him change their mind?

All I am saying is I am not sure our fans would be prepared to change their opinion on Lambert like wet spam and barcodes fans have done for their manager

What happens if we go on a ru n of ten straight victories? 

And what happens if we win the league? 

The fact is, we wont win the league, we wont go on a run of 10 wins, in Lambert's 3 years here we've barely won 2 games on the bounce. 

If we went on a run of 10 wins then fans would change their mind for sure, but we won't, and fans have made their minds up on Lambert because of 3 awful years and terrible football to go with it. Not because of the past 10 games.

Lambert isn't suddenly going to get something right and we will become a good team playing half decent football. What we're seeing is how it will always be I'm afraid, because of the limitations he has in bringing players in, and the limitations he has as a football manager. 

Edited by PieFacE

If we went on a run of winning 10 games I think we'd all say how great he's doing.

But we just won our first in 10 games. I think that was our 8th win in 2014. There's nothing happening to currently make people change their minds about him.

Of course I have I totally accept that and everyone I would assume gets that.

However we have had bad results and performances to prove that.  What happens if we go on a ru n of ten straight victories? Those who dont want him change their mind?

All I am saying is I am not sure our fans would be prepared to change their opinion on Lambert like wet spam and barcodes fans have done for their manager

If we go on a run of 10 straight wins i'll be very impressed by Lambert and the players. 

And i do think our fans are more than willing to change their opinion. In fact it's already happened with Lambert both at the end of his first season and possibly even at the start of this one. 

And that's saying something as changing one's mind is apparently the worst thing you can do as a Villa supporter, because then you are labelled "fickle".

I doubt he has. But in my case I've been more than definitive that I'll hold judgement until the end of the season with the 22 points at half way stage enough to keep me content.

Unlike others I see this season as the season to judge Lambert fairly on given he was backed in the summer to bring in experienced players on competitive wages.

I believe this team are solid mid table team. If Lambert can get us there I'll be happy. Anything like 47 points and 13th is me happy.

• Like 1

I believe this team are solid mid table team. If Lambert can get us there I'll be happy. Anything like 47 points and 13th is me happy.

Probably wouldn't say happy. I'd be fairly content with that and say lambert had done a decent job this year.

Then hopefully we have a takeover and can start looking forward to more positive things.

• Like 1

I do wonder how people's views would be different if Benteke hadn't got sent off at Spurs we'd won that game and then got the same results in the 4 games since.

I wonder what might have happened if Lambert used the money and players better. What we could do if he got the best out if players on more ocassions.

Can you imagine?

I do wonder how people's views would be different if Benteke hadn't got sent off at Spurs we'd won that game and then got the same results in the 4 games since.

I wonder what might have happened if Lambert used the money and players better. What we could do if he got the best out if players on more ocassions.

Can you imagine?

One stupid decision by Benteke is a single incident that if different could have had a big impact.

You are speculating about hundreds of things, combined.

Probably wouldn't say happy. I'd be fairly content with that and say lambert had done a decent job this year.

Then hopefully we have a takeover and can start looking forward to more positive things.

I still believe that a takeover should be the trigger for a new manager. Hopefully someone like Moyes to take over. But while Lerner is still here I'm happy to stick with Lambert given my performance targets of 47 points

Can you imagine?

One stupid decision by Benteke is a single incident that if different could have had a big impact.

Can you prove without any doubt that we would have beaten Spurs and the teams that followed?

For fans who dont rate Lambert we are told that not many were complaining about him after the first four games but now we are told that after ending an horrendous run without a win that some of us have made our mind up about him and wont change.

Can you imagine?

Its not set in stone we would have got anything more out that game had Benteke stayed on the pitch, we might however have done better in the 3 games he missed.

Â