Paul Lambert

limpid

It starts by me not being presumptious enough to think I KNOW what is the right amount of investment and what isn't. I suggest nobody on these Boards - even the accountants- is anywhere near knowledgeable enough to know what is and what isn't correct investment levels. We dont KNOW the TRUE strength or weaknesses of our competitors, their real ability to raise capital, what wages they pay, what contracts are involved, what new markets or commercial revenue they may be able to exploit -or ANYTHING. We didn't know about Man CIty, people didn't predict Leicester - how many more ? Nobody knows. Asian and American markets. Future interest rates. Sides who may sell grounds and relocate. Southampton ? We dont know how overborrowed some are to compete - will they fall apart ?

I agree in parts but then I don't think you need to have all the inside knowledge to know that when offering low wages you're going to struggle to attract quality players to the club. Surely you can agree that in order for us to progress we need to be able to offer more in wages?

Some seem to think because 'we are Villa we should do better' - it is an utterly meaningless statement. (As it happens, asidefrom a couple of seasons we have never - since the war - been a threat -why ? Perhaps because we are in about the right relative place?)

We should be doing better, we've had 3 relegation worried seasons and currently an improvement this season. We are on of only 6 teams to have won 300 premier league games. I think a club like ours should be a regular top 8 team. I don't think that's unrealistic at all.

My point is, we dont know do we ?

But we do know that the books are balanced. We do know that we earn more money than the majority of teams. We do know we have offered low wages to new players over the last 18 months and we do know that TV revenue has increased massively.

It starts by me not being presumptious enough to think I KNOW what is the right amount of investment and what isn't. I suggest nobody on these Boards - even the accountants- is anywhere near knowledgeable enough to know what is and what isn't correct investment levels. We dont KNOW the TRUE strength or weaknesses of our competitors, their real ability to raise capital, what wages they pay, what contracts are involved, what new markets or commercial revenue they may be able to exploit -or ANYTHING. We didn't know about Man CIty, people didn't predict Leicester - how many more ? Nobody knows. Asian and American markets. Future interest rates. Sides who may sell grounds and relocate. Southampton ? We dont know how overborrowed some are to compete - will they fall apart ?

I agree in parts but then I don't think you need to have all the inside knowledge to know that when offering low wages you're going to struggle to attract quality players to the club. Surely you can agree that in order for us to progress we need to be able to offer more in wages?

Some seem to think because 'we are Villa we should do better' - it is an utterly meaningless statement. (As it happens, asidefrom a couple of seasons we have never - since the war - been a threat -why ? Perhaps because we are in about the right relative place?)

We should be doing better, we've had 3 relegation worried seasons and currently an improvement this season. We are on of only 6 teams to have won 300 premier league games. I think a club like ours should be a regular top 8 team. I don't think that's unrealistic at all.

My point is, we dont know do we ?

But we do know that the books are balanced. We do know that we earn more money than the majority of teams. We do know we have offered low wages to new players over the last 18 months and we do know that TV revenue has increased massively.

Do I agree Teams finish higher if they pay more ? - not always but as a general rule over the long term yes. Should we offer higher wages ?  -thats my whole point - how can I possibly KNOW ?

Should we be Top 8 regularly - well this is the same point a different way - yes, if over the long term we pay top 8 wages I would expect average Top 8 positions - but whether we can or should pay top 8 wages - see earlier !!

Balanced books, TV revenue etc - same as my original point -I dont know all the things I would want to know - I have seen Risdales and many others do it.

I am not saying I think it would be wrong to spend more.  I am just saying I also dont know it would be right.

And if we haven't got the money, we haven't got the money.

Theres a lot of things I haven't got the money for - no point at all in complaining, again, unless one wants t ofoster the belief that in some way PL and his advisors were duped when they took the job  - lol.

Definitely don't think they were duped and I genuinely hope that come the Summer, Lambert will be backed to bring in some quality players to improve the squad. I believe that is what HH said if I remember correctly, that Lambert's belief was that after 2 seasons of rebuilding the squad he'd be able to start pushing forward. That is also what I myself hope for, I really do, I actually hope that Lerner just wanted to strip things back and start fresh with Lambert.

Basically my worry is that what myself and many others hope for, including Lambert himself, is actually not going to happen. Maybe I shouldn't assume negatively, but I guess that is built up from a somewhat distant owner and foolish decisions made by the owner/board over the last few years. 

Fingers crossed that things turn out well for the club as that is all that matters to me anyway, whether or not it is with Lerner, Lambert, Benteke or whoever else may come and go under the current regime. I just want the club to be stable and able to compete without worrying about relegation. If we can begin to achieve that stability then hopefully we can push on from there.

Overall:

- I hope we manage to end the league on a good note, finishing 9th, 10th or 11th

Following on from such a finish:

- I hope Lambert is backed in the Summer and given a new deal

- I hope Lerner stays on and proves us all wrong, showing a genuine interest in getting our club back to the state it belongs to be in

• Like 3

Shocking from Lambert yet again highlighting his limited managerial ability

After two games where we have played well and used the diamond were now back to playing the bore panicking hoof ball from earlier on in the season

This coupled with poor team selection tactics and substitutions cost us the 3 points today

It can be argued that the referee can take some of the blame but bear in mind 1 goal was never going to be enough to get any points today especially the way we set ourselves up to invite pressure and allow Everton to draw the fouls from us

We needed to attack them in the second half and keep the ball for spells to relieve the pressure on our back four... Vlaar even looked like he picked up an injury because he was having to work so hard

We are going to regret not signing a CM in January

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

The table as things stand (unless I have messed up) using just points total.

Villa - 27

Stoke - 25

Swansea - 24

Sund - 24

Norwich - 24

Hull - 24

Palace - 23*

WBA - 22*

West Ham - 22

Cardiff - 21

Fulham - 19

As it stands

I don't know why people think we would've automatically done better had we used the same tactics that we used against West Brom. The two games are completely different.

And no I don't think he's blameless before the black and white thinking gets hurled at me.

Edited by Mantis

Why change a winning formation and team? The three at the back doesn't suit us because we play so deep and invite pressure and it is just inevitable that the opponents will score.

Anyone can see this problem, why can't Lambert?!

I honestly don't know what goes on in his head sometimes.

We could have easily played the diamond against them. It's not as if either wing back had a lot of help anyway.

So **** stupid from Lambert

• Like 1

Â