Paul Lambert

limpid

Thought he got his subs and formations spot on today.

- Subbed Holt for Lowton. Lowton was struggling defensively and we had just taken the lead. Pushed Bacuna into a defense and Holt gave us fresh legs to aim at.

- Subbed KEA for Sylla. Not KEA's best game. While I didn't think Sylla did much, he was fresh legs in an outnumbered midfield.

- Subbed Wiemann for Baker. Last 10 minutes and WBA are pushing. Changed to a 5-3-2 system with 2 target men up front to hold the ball up and slow down the play.

Actually while at the game, I wondered wtf is going on! I thought some of his subbing and timing was strange and that we were lucky the baggies are so shit going forward. I agree that Lowton was struggling (looked like he had taken a knock as he limped off) - so Bacuna at RB had to be done, but I would have brought Albrighton on instead of Holt who was all over the place.

KEA ditto had run out of steam so Sylla was a no brainer but when he bought Baker on ,Bacuna hadn't got a clue for 5 minutes whether he was still at RB or supposed to play RW.

I was watching lambert and culverhouse on the bench going nuts as they clearly hadn't got the message out on what the formation was supposed - they were not happy but I think it was of their own making.

I think you're talking rubbish.

Holt was bought on as a destroyer, which he did an amicable job of. Baker was a switch to 5-3-2 and as for Bacuna not knowing what he was supposed to be doing, that's more an issue with the player I suspect. A player that cost £800k.

The idea was to shut up shop because the game was getting stretched as both sides were tiring after such a rollercoaster. Whether you conjour up some hypothetical situation in your mind where the baggies are better going forward is by the by, it worked. We beat the team in front of us, deservedly so.

It's no wonder Lambert and Culverhouse were animated, weren't you?

You are entitled to your opinion as i am mine. I agree that we were well worth the win and were the better side. My point concerned the last 15/20 minutes and how we "shut up shop" - you have totally lost me on the "conjure" bit!

Funnily enough you effectively agree with me on Bacuna point. Whether it was down to him or not, he didn't know he was supposed to be playing in a back 5.  I was not criticising how "animated" Lambert and Culverhouse were, I was simply making the point that their new formation hadn't got out. As for bringing Holt on, I disagree, imho he is an out an out donkey - Albrighton could have done as good a job harrying and better, would have been a lot more mobile and given us a better outlet. All that said great win! UTV

Edited by MikeMcKenna

People say Lambert cannot motivate players but we have taken 10pts from losing positions this season the 2nd highest in the league and only dropped 2pts from winning positions the lowest in the league.

Great stat to be fair.

One of our huge problems over the last few seasons has been conceeding late goals (honestly, we seemed to do it every single game) but it looks like Lambert has worked on this massively.  It might partly be why we've been as conservative r.e: attacking football this season, but the defence looks much more solid this season - even with Luna/Lowton as our full backs...

...granted, though, we now seem to conceed the first goal.  At least that gives us time to score rather than having points stolen away from us, right?

Building on the comment here about conceding late goals - a frustration dating back to MON days I might add... I also offer a crumb of comfort for those still looking over their shoulders to teams below us. Our goal difference is currently much better off than this time last year (I think) and appears much healithier than the majority below us. That's almost as good as an extra point right now IMO.

Though we do have to go to Etihad stadium... No matter how good we've been over the last 3 weeks, I am shitting myself about going there. Big Chris - be ready for that.

Ha ha! A couple of good results and the Lambert love has come back. Lets see how long it lasts this time.

Im full if positivity after last night, but cant stop thinking the 3 goals against us were from very very poor defending!!

I don't think someone smashing in a wonder strike from 30 yards can go down as poor defending.

• Like 1

Thought he got his subs and formations spot on today.

- Subbed Holt for Lowton. Lowton was struggling defensively and we had just taken the lead. Pushed Bacuna into a defense and Holt gave us fresh legs to aim at.

- Subbed KEA for Sylla. Not KEA's best game. While I didn't think Sylla did much, he was fresh legs in an outnumbered midfield.

- Subbed Wiemann for Baker. Last 10 minutes and WBA are pushing. Changed to a 5-3-2 system with 2 target men up front to hold the ball up and slow down the play.

Actually while at the game, I wondered wtf is going on! I thought some of his subbing and timing was strange and that we were lucky the baggies are so shit going forward. I agree that Lowton was struggling (looked like he had taken a knock as he limped off) - so Bacuna at RB had to be done, but I would have brought Albrighton on instead of Holt who was all over the place.

KEA ditto had run out of steam so Sylla was a no brainer but when he bought Baker on ,Bacuna hadn't got a clue for 5 minutes whether he was still at RB or supposed to play RW.

I was watching lambert and culverhouse on the bench going nuts as they clearly hadn't got the message out on what the formation was supposed - they were not happy but I think it was of their own making.

I think you're talking rubbish.

Holt was bought on as a destroyer, which he did an amicable job of. Baker was a switch to 5-3-2 and as for Bacuna not knowing what he was supposed to be doing, that's more an issue with the player I suspect. A player that cost £800k.

The idea was to shut up shop because the game was getting stretched as both sides were tiring after such a rollercoaster. Whether you conjour up some hypothetical situation in your mind where the baggies are better going forward is by the by, it worked. We beat the team in front of us, deservedly so.

It's no wonder Lambert and Culverhouse were animated, weren't you?

You are entitled to your opinion as i am mine. I agree that we were well worth the win and were the better side. My point concerned the last 15/20 minutes and how we "shut up shop" - you have totally lost me on the "conjure" bit!

Funnily enough you effectively agree with me on Bacuna point. Whether it was down to him or not, he didn't know he was supposed to be playing in a back 5. I was not criticising how "animated" Lambert and Culverhouse were, I was simply making the point that their new formation hadn't got out. As for bringing Holt on, I disagree, imho he is an out an out donkey - Albrighton could have done as good a job harrying and better, would have been a lot more mobile and given us a better outlet. All that said great win! UTV

Fair enough. We agree to disagree on just about everything then!

Though you did say we were lucky the baggies are so shit going forward. In which case you're basing that on a hypothetical situation where they're not. Aside from the Lugano header, we barely gave them a sniff after the switch, so I can't see your evidence for this hypothesis.

Though we do have to go to Etihad stadium

It is not beyond us. This team is capable of beating Barcelona and then the following week being defeated by Rochdale. Inconsistent is a great word to describe the club, probably for the past fifty years or so.

On his day, I think Guzan could have got to the first.

Anyway, as a group of fans, we are allowed to change our opinions from time to time. Personally I can say my support for Lambert has dwindled somewhat this season (though I'd never called for his head) and I can also say that some recent performances have restored a lot of my faith in him. If that makes me fickle, then so be it, but being open to changing your opinion is never a bad thing.

• Like 1

I think I said at the beginning of the season I'd be happy with a 12th - 14th finish.

We are on track for that so I think he's doing a good job so far.

I do believe it says a lot about how shit the teams are in the premier league though, that a team like us (after some awful performances) are sitting in 10th.

But I look at the teams above and the money they have spent and we have no right to be higher than we already are.

We are top of the shit heap!

Their last two goals were some poor defending but that first goal you just have to let it go.

The second was abysmal as Westwood and Lowton completely switched off and got caught out be the quick freekick.  The third Mulumbu should've been tracked by Westwood, and the first while a wonder goal, Westwood could and should have looked to close down brunt a lot quicker, as he should know that in that situation the CB would stand off, its the job of the midfield to close down!

I think I said at the beginning of the season I'd be happy with a 12th - 14th finish.

We are on track for that so I think he's doing a good job so far.

I do believe it says a lot about how shit the teams are in the premier league though, that a team like us (after some awful performances) are sitting in 10th.

But I look at the teams above and the money they have spent and we have no right to be higher than we already are.

We are top of the shit heap!

I agree! It seems to me that you have 7 or 8 teams that are very good (in terms of the quality of their squads), then the rest are very average! Maybe only Southampton and Newcastle are somewhere in between!

Their last two goals were some poor defending but that first goal you just have to let it go.

The second was abysmal as Westwood and Lowton completely switched off and got caught out be the quick freekick.  The third Mulumbu should've been tracked by Westwood, and the first while a wonder goal, Westwood could and should have looked to close down brunt a lot quicker, as he should know that in that situation the CB would stand off, its the job of the midfield to close down!

Thank god you're here, Captain Hindsight!

The first time we've had 2 good performances and results in a row. I like being in 10th but it doesn't take away just how unenjoyable the season has been so far.

Big improvements in the last two games, 2 games I've enjoyed and two results to be proud of. Continue this Saturday and let's see what we can do.

• Like 1

I honestly believe that very few managers would have kept us up last season with that squad, and I honestly believe that we would be in the bottom third this season if Lambert wasn't an exceptional manager. What stands out to me is that he actually develops players, which is a great talent to have as a manager, he has nurtured and great team ethic and togetherness and is tactically flexible! Many manager will have a system and philosophy and never deviate, but for me I have always thought that the best managers pick the philosophy and system that will get the best out of the players, and then if you want to implement your preferred system and philosophy you change things gradually as players develop and new player in and integrate.

• Like 2

Thank god you're here, Captain Hindsight!

My pleasure!

The first time we've had 2 good performances and results in a row. I like being in 10th but it doesn't take away just how unenjoyable the season has been so far.

Big improvements in the last two games, 2 games I've enjoyed and two results to be proud of. Continue this Saturday and let's see what we can do.

Maybe you should just enjoy living for the moment a bit more, instead of being a grudge-bearing Graham 

Still got a MASSIVE amount to do for me to want him here next season. Unlike some above i thought the substitutions last night were mental. Good job we got the win

He's not going to toss you off mate, sorry. 

• Like 1

I honestly believe that very few managers would have kept us up last season with that squad, and I honestly believe that we would be in the bottom third this season if Lambert wasn't an exceptional manager. What stands out to me is that he actually develops players, which is a great talent to have as a manager, he has nurtured and great team ethic and togetherness and is tactically flexible! Many manager will have a system and philosophy and never deviate, but for me I have always thought that the best managers pick the philosophy and system that will get the best out of the players, and then if you want to implement your preferred system and philosophy you change things gradually as players develop and new player in and integrate.

Furthermore, Delph mentioned last night the team have a game plan to win each match and they have recently been working on penalty taking techniques after training. 

I don't even think Lowton was on the right side when the free kick was taken so not sure how he's held up as accountable. From memory he'd been assigned a job in the middle

Vlaar was as accountable as anyone for their third

Maybe you should just enjoy living for the moment a bit more, instead of being a grudge-bearing Graham 

Still got a MASSIVE amount to do for me to want him here next season. Unlike some above i thought the substitutions last night were mental. Good job we got the win

He's not going to toss you off mate, sorry. 

He'd probably like to

Â