Spiders

B6 to E6

Yesterday morning, as I was getting ready for work, I noticed a big-ish spider in the hall. It was probably 3 inches from leg to leg. I called one of my cats over, as he seems to like to eat them.

Ten minutes later I was about to walk out my house, and the cat had got bored of playing with him, and left him in the hall (alive and kicking!) (sorry donnie). As I moved towards him, he ran towards the kitchen and stopped between the door and the door frame. I just shut the door on him, which made a nice crunching sound.

Thinking about it. He's still there, I'll clean up his remains when I get home.

Yesterday morning, as I was getting ready for work, I noticed a big-ish spider in the hall. It was probably 3 inches from leg to leg. I called one of my cats over, as he seems to like to eat them.

Ten minutes later I was about to walk out my house, and the cat had got bored of playing with him, and left him in the hall (alive and kicking!) (sorry donnie). As I moved towards him, he ran towards the kitchen and stopped between the door and the door frame. I just shut the door on him, which made a nice crunching sound.

Thinking about it. He's still there, I'll clean up his remains when I get home.

His head will make a fine trophy.

Giant spiders set to invade UK homes this autumn, warn experts

Scientists warn mild weather throughout the summer has led the arachnids to grow bigger than ever - just in time for mating season

RexGiant-House-Spider.jpg

Invasion: Giant house spiders will be a common sight this autumn, say experts

Britain's homes will be invaded by giant spiders in the coming weeks.

That's the view of experts, who say rising temperatures during summer have led to the creepy crawlies growing bigger than ever.

The mild summer has meant the eight-legged creatures have thrived.

And with the temperature set to fall, experts from Sydney University have warned the house spiders will be heading indoors in the coming weeks to find a mate.

Look: YOUR photos of giant spiders

spidermainpic.jpg

If you want to identify your eight-legged guest, check out our guide to the 10 most common UK house spiders.

Professor Adam Hart, of the University of Gloucestershire, agreed with the prediction.

"This year has been seemingly a good one for the invertebrates which spiders feed on, and it's quite mild out there," he said.

Both sexes stay in their webs until autumn when males become nomadic and go in search of females.

Creature comfort: Arachnids are known to take refuge in houses as temperatures begin to drop

But Professor Hart said people have nothing to fear as the big creepy crawlies will offer a free pest control service.

"They often feed on the most common species, preventing a few species from becoming dominant," he said.

"We want to encourage people to respect and learn more about their little house guests."

In Teeside, spider sightings have already begun to surge, with wildlife photographers and arachnaphobes alike keen to display their eight-legged friends.

Mirror

Edited by mjmooney

Giant spiders set to invade UK homes this autumn, warn experts

Scientists warn mild weather throughout the summer has led the arachnids to grow bigger than ever - just in time for mating season

Invasion: Giant house spiders will be a common sight this autumn, say experts

Britain's homes will be invaded by giant spiders in the coming weeks.

That's the view of experts, who say rising temperatures during summer have led to the creepy crawlies growing bigger than ever.

The mild summer has meant the eight-legged creatures have thrived.

And with the temperature set to fall, experts from Sydney University have warned the house spiders will be heading indoors in the coming weeks to find a mate.

Look: YOUR photos of giant spiders

spidermainpic.jpg

If you want to identify your eight-legged guest, check out our guide to the 10 most common UK house spiders.

Professor Adam Hart, of the University of Gloucestershire, agreed with the prediction.

"This year has been seemingly a good one for the invertebrates which spiders feed on, and it's quite mild out there," he said.

Both sexes stay in their webs until autumn when males become nomadic and go in search of females.

Creature comfort: Arachnids are known to take refuge in houses as temperatures begin to drop

But Professor Hart said people have nothing to fear as the big creepy crawlies will offer a free pest control service.

"They often feed on the most common species, preventing a few species from becoming dominant," he said.

"We want to encourage people to respect and learn more about their little house guests."

In Teeside, spider sightings have already begun to surge, with wildlife photographers and arachnaphobes alike keen to display their eight-legged friends.

Mirror

Good, some of VT's posters deserve to be eaten by them.

I have a pet daddy long legs in my bathroom ... He lives up by the ceiling but whenever I go in he comes down to see me and when I leave goes back to his spot

He must have thought I'd gone on holiday as when I came back upstairs earlier today I found 5 daddy long legs in the bathroom having some form of spider party

I removed the other 4 out through the window and expressed my disappointment with the little fella and went to work ... Should be interesting later when I get home

• Like 1

Ah now see, Daddy Long Legs do creep me out and annoy the shit out of me. They're also insanely hard to catch but I do try not to kill them. The little bastards are always getting in my house.

As for those so-called giant house spiders, that's the normal size of most of the spiders we get out here in the country. They're harmless and easy enough to catch and put outside.

I have a pet daddy long legs in my bathroom ... He lives up by the ceiling but whenever I go in he comes down to see me and when I leave goes back to his spot

He must have thought I'd gone on holiday as when I came back upstairs earlier today I found 5 daddy long legs in the bathroom having some form of spider party

I removed the other 4 out through the window and expressed my disappointment with the little fella and went to work ... Should be interesting later when I get home

Does yours have distinguishing features? Like a little moustache or scar?

I've just moved the lawn, and had to destroy a few webs and kill a few spiders. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I wouldn't have been able to mow the whole lawn without getting wrapped in spider webs. Some of the webs were almost 2 metres long, from the washing line to the ground. I'm dreading the garden-dwellers finding their way into the house this autumn!

Â