Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

how the hell have France got the euros when they had the world cup not so long ago? yet we havent hosted a tournament since euro 96.

backing france for it, home soil and all that

world cup in France was just 2 years after euro 96

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

how the hell have France got the euros when they had the world cup not so long ago? yet we havent hosted a tournament since euro 96

Spain haven't hosted either since 1982.

So we're hardly at the front of that queue

32 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Spain haven't hosted either since 1982.

So we're hardly at the front of that queue

well that's almost 20 years difference so I would say that's significant in terms of world cup. 

Surprising with the force of english football, the stadiums etc that we have not seen another world cup since 66. I have only memories of euro 96 and it was brilliant hosting 

*cough* legacy *cough*

germany in 06 is obviously different but you can see what FIFA are doing, i for one dont believe everyone single one of them are corrupt in the sense that they accept brown envelopes under the table but they are voting for countries that offer them shiny new things and the jolly of a life time, fly first class in to a brand new airport, chauffeur driven down a brand new motorway to a new 5 star hotel before watching the game in a brand new stadium in front of fans who arent considered your traditional set of fans

i honestly believe that all our infrastructure and existing fanbase, and id throw in the already established market that their major sponsors have here, means that they dont see us as a great host, the states will host it again before we do as they try and further develop that market

the argument against that is UEFA have blatantly clocked on to the corporate side of the events, the rumours that ukraine / poland performed poorly in terms of corporate sales and that directly influencing the decision to spread 2020 over several cities that all have great corporate facilities and will generate the demand, as well as the cash cow wembley get the semis/final, if FIFA were the same way inclined and looked at wembley, emirates, even VP has great corporate facilities...they might be swayed 

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Marchisio and verratti are out injured for Italy

This is the weakest Italian squad I've ever seen tbh even if those two were fit. Their attacking options are pitiful imo.

While England are usually sold in terms of getting out of a group and then losing in the knock outs Italy tend to be an all or nothing team so pretty difficult to predict but I don't think this side is anything to be scared of for the Irish.

Italy since Euro 2000:

2000: Finalists

2002: 2nd Round

2004: Group stage

2006: Winners

2008: Quarters

2010: First round

2012: Finalists

2014: First round. 

Talksport had a bloke on earlier who had interviewed conte in Italian, said he's frustrated that there's just no yoof coming through

Think the next manager might have rugani and romagnoli at the back so they'll be ok but it looks like this is another poor looking transitional Italian team that'll either go out in the group or win it

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Talksport had a bloke on earlier who had interviewed conte in Italian, said he's frustrated that there's just no yoof coming through

Think the next manager might have rugani and romagnoli at the back so they'll be ok but it looks like this is another poor looking transitional Italian team that'll either go out in the group or win it

No good strikers or attacking midfielders as far as I can see. Not so long ago they had Del Piero, Totti, Cassano etc. 

Yeah El shaaaaraaaawaaay hasn't worked out, Berardi can't break through, super Mario is super Mario... But verratti in the middle is a proper player IMO maybe another who falls victim of "only" playing for psg, mauri declared for Italy I think, GK with scuffet and donnaruma looks ok, CBs look good

They'll never slip away and I'd never bet against them, they seem to have that ability to turn up that we really lack

Italy teams that have been worse than us have performed better than us almost constantly

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Still surprised people see France as favourites. They have only played friendlies, untested in competitive environment. 

True but home advantage and quality of the players they have make them favourites I think. 

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah El shaaaaraaaawaaay hasn't worked out, Berardi can't break through, super Mario is super Mario... But verratti in the middle is a proper player IMO maybe another who falls victim of "only" playing for psg, mauri declared for Italy I think, GK with scuffet and donnaruma looks ok, CBs look good

They'll never slip away and I'd never bet against them, they seem to have that ability to turn up that we really lack

Italy teams that have been worse than us have performed better than us almost constantly

Seria A declining is a massive problem, it's still an interesting league to watch I think but the quality is so poor now compared to the glory days of the 90s....you rarely see the Italian clubs make the latter stages of the euro competitions so how good are some of these players, I really don't know if Insigne is an excellent second striker or not due to him scoring against likes of Chievo and Bologna rather than in the CL.

Milan demise sums things up really, Inter hardly have any Italian players and Meelan have a few but they're just so poor nowadays.

Obviously Juve have the formidable defensive unit....but when Bayern ran at them they conceded 6 goals over two legs so that might be an issue in the knock outs. 

Edit: Verrati and Marchiso are both injured btw so their decent looking central midfield isn't looking so great...will probably have to rely on De Rossi to plug the gaps, now in his 30s and not that great anymore really. 

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Still surprised people see France as favourites. They have only played friendlies, untested in competitive environment. 

open tournament, the host nation and with that get a few dodgy ref decisions. France are better team than Brazil who got semi-finals last World Cup through Neymar and couple bogey calls

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 13:42, Demitri_C said:

how the hell have France got the euros when they had the world cup not so long ago?

You do realise the Platini was the head of UEFA when the decision was made? That's how they got it.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

no Pirlo :(

Midfielders: Marco Benassi (Torino), Giacomo Bonaventura (Milan), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Emanuele Giaccherini (Bologna), Jorginho (Napoli), Riccardo Montolivo (Milan), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint-Germain), Marco Parolo (Lazio), Stefano Sturaro (Juventus), Antonio Candreva (Lazio)

Yeah Italy midfield looking pretty bleak tbh.De Rossi and Motta are well in their 30s now, never been hugely impressed with Montolivo but I do like Candreva, surprised he hasn't kicked on in his club career since the WC.

Not a huge amount upfront either although one player upfront to watch is Bernarndeschi who plays for Fiorientina. He scored some excellent goals in the run in so an interesting newcomer. 

Â