Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

France, Belgium, and Germany have the strongest squads. It'll be between them but I'd like a surprise team to win it. I like the look of Croatia. I'd never rule out Italy. For the sake of a peaceful summer I'm hoping the Rep & NI don't meet. I'll be supporting both. It'll be weird without the Dutch. Hope England lose to Wales and get knocked out early. Hope Spain get knocked out early too because they are boring. Hope everything goes peacefully and we can enjoy a month of beer and football in the sun.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

still a few weeks away but thought would start a thread talk about some things going on now like friendlies and squad announcements

Spain have dropped Costa and Mata and no call up for in-form Torres

CipyF3uWEAA4AnF.jpg

Looks really weak upfront tbh....when Spain were at their pomp Torres and Villa were at world class level. Is Vazquez the Deportivo guy? Aduriz has been amazing at La Liga for last few years but he is 35 and only has a couple of caps for Spain as does Nolito. Saul's more of a midfielder.

Midfield is very good of course but like England they're a bit light if anything happens to Pique or Ramos during the tournament...San Jose and Barta is very mediocre CB back up.

Quarter finalists. 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

CiqSfShXIAAQZS5.jpg:large

Now we're talking....what a selection of midfielders and attackers they have, great mix of youth and experience although amuses me they still call up Podolski.

I do think they are dodgy in defence though....lack quality at FB and let in a few in qualifying although Germany in proper competitions is a different beast.

Can France and Germany meet in the final or will they meet beforehand?

9 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Spain won the last Euros without a recognised striker. They played Fabregas as a false 9 and still smashed Italy 4-0 in the final. 

Torres was actually top scorer in that tournament but I take your point.

They've won everything though and lack motivation now. Don't think this is a great generation coming through either. Would be surprised if they make the last 4.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Torres was actually top scorer in that tournament but I take your point.

They've won everything though and lack motivation now. Don't think this is a great generation coming through either. Would be surprised if they make the last 4.

I think he only got 3 though. They basically won it with attacking midfielders and a solid defence. But I agree, I can't see them doing it again. Germany for me.

Edited by One For The Road

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Linked with Chelsea today, same with all these youngsters all about timing that big move, he'll be fine at schalke with goretzka and Meyer for a couple of years

City and utd also linked to him 

I know Germany are world champions and always turn up for tournaments but I dont think they will get further than the semi's.  Podolski or Schurrle wouldn't make the England squad and Schweinsteiger hasn't done much for United. Nothing to fear! France or Belgium for me with England having a punchers chance and Wales are a good bet to go far because they are a team with some very good players and one player who could be the star of the tournament.  

Edited by PaulC

Austria will get further than Wales, in an easier group which they could easily win. One star in Alaba and excellent back up in Aranutovic, Fuchs,Dragovic etc.

I like the person who mentioned Croatia earlier, their midfield options are incredible and they have decent strikers but always internal problems with them and Lovren didn't get a call up because he hates the coach so their defence is pretty weak.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Looks really weak upfront tbh....when Spain were at their pomp Torres and Villa were at world class level. Is Vazquez the Deportivo guy? Aduriz has been amazing at La Liga for last few years but he is 35 and only has a couple of caps for Spain as does Nolito. Saul's more of a midfielder.

Vasquez is the winger from Real Madrid Lucas

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Austria will get further than Wales, in an easier group which they could easily win. One star in Alaba and excellent back up in Aranutovic, Fuchs,Dragovic etc.

I like the person who mentioned Croatia earlier, their midfield options are incredible and they have decent strikers but always internal problems with them and Lovren didn't get a call up because he hates the coach so their defence is pretty weak.

I do fancy Austria as a dark horse, Alaba is brilliant and rest are solid players like Fuchs, Dragovic, Junuzovic. the guy Wimmer looked good at Spurs when Verthongen got injured and he barely gets a game

Ronaldo and friends squad announced.....

Goalkeepers: Rui Patricio (Sporting Lisbon), Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Eduardo (Dinamo Zagreb)

Defenders: Vieirinha (Wolfsburg), Raphael Guerreiro (Lorient), Cedric Soares (Southampton), Eliseu (Benfica), Bruno Alves (Fenerbahce), Jose Fonte (Southampton), Ricardo Carvalho (Monaco), Pepe (Real Madrid)

Midfielders: William Carvalho (Sporting Lisbon), Danilo Pereira (Porto), Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Adrien Silva (Sporting Lisbon), Joao Mario (Sporting Lisbon), Andre Gomes (Valencia), Renato Sanches (Benfica/Bayern Munic)

Forwards: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Eder (Lille), Nani (Fenerbahce), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas), Rafa Silva (Braga)

Some exciting youngsters in there but blimey Carvalho must be in his 40s now...on the whole their defence is quite old now with Alves and Pepe well into their 30s now...even a newcomer like Fonte is 32.

And you've got Eder who is probably one of the worst players at the tournament...could be starting as their main striker.

That said Portugal tend to do well in the euros. 

Edited by VillaChris

Portugal will be OK and this is last tournament for a lot of these players, maybe even Ronaldo as well. good mix of youth and experience.

surprised no Postiga they used always call him up and he is garbage

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Don't agree Chris. Wales had a much tougher qualification group and gave one of the favourites a run for their money. They will finish above Russia and Slovakia and then its down to the draw. 

Turkey could be an interesting team, dont qualify much for tournaments but in last 3 they did make has been a quarter final and 2 semi-finals (records like that do have psychological impact). Have tough group but have some good players and gave Holland a hiding in last game

Â