Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

What I'm happy with is his will to get forward, he's clearly comfortable on the ball but just doesn't seem to react sometimes to the speed in which players will close you down in this league. When he fixes that I think he'll be excellent for us.

• Like 1

I've been disappointed with his tackling and defensive side. He seems to get get too close and is easily turned or beaten far too often.

A DM not great at tackling and decent on the ball is Ashley Westwood. Hopefully he can develop that part of his game.

Really, Cole going off was a blessing in disguise as we looked like a complete car crash until Sánchez's arrival helped stabilise the team to an extent. I thought he played well, a positive reaction to being dropped.

• Like 1

Yeah he was good. I think he'll turn out to be another smart signing by Lambert, though he's still a bit erratic at the moment.

There was one time he ran up the pitch in the second half with players available, didnt pass, ran into a palace player and they took the ball off him and countered. This wasnt due to pace or things happening quickly either. Concerned me that.

Yeah he was good. I think he'll turn out to be another smart signing by Lambert, though he's still a bit erratic at the moment.

There was one time he ran up the pitch in the second half with players available, didnt pass, ran into a palace player and they took the ball off him and countered. This wasnt due to pace or things happening quickly either. Concerned me that.

You sure you're not thinking of Gabby?

• Like 1

He thinks a little too highly of himself on the ball. Must simplify his passing game and leave the more ambitious stuff to the other midfielders.

Yeah, I remember. Like I say, erratic, but he did a useful job for us overall and he's a real presence in the midfield.

He thinks a little too highly of himself on the ball. Must simplify his passing game and leave the more ambitious stuff to the other midfielders.

He could do with cutting the wayward shots out of his game, that's for sure.

You sure you're not thinking of Gabby?

:) no id need to 10 posts to discuss all the times he done that.

Def Sanchez, sort of walked with the ball forward for about 15-20 yards and just lost it without much pressure.

I really disagree with that. The other midfielders have developed the habit of turning their back to goal as soon as they get the ball. Sure Sanchez gets caught in possession too often, and makes the odd wayward pass, but for (albeit still not totally reliable) one-touch passing out of midfield I think he's the best we've got.

• Like 4

I really disagree with that. The other midfielders have developed the habit of turning their back to goal as soon as they get the ball. Sure Sanchez gets caught in possession too often, and makes the odd wayward pass, but for (albeit still not totally reliable) one-touch passing out of midfield I think he's the best we've got.

He has never been that type of player during his career to date though. Lambert was actually questioned about this exact thing in the pre-Orient press conference and he replied:

That's not his game [i.e. providing creativity]. That's not what I brought him here for.

Had a superb first half but was visibly tired in the second, due to him getting used to the league and only having played on Saturday. 

He's really showing some quality now though, very impressed at how he's managed to settle and if we can bring his fitness up I think he'll be an important player for us. 

He was the highest rated player on whoscored for Villa this match.

I really expected him to be utter shit for the first 6 months and then slowly get better. Few defenders coming from any external league have ever adapted quickly or easily to the Premier League and few Premier League players going abroad have done well either. The way defensive lines play is completely different and I wouldn't expect anyone to easily make that change.

He plays best when he's playing directly between two centrebacks during the defending phase then moving forward on the attacking phase. 

Watch the Colombia vs USA game that occurred a few weeks ago in London to get an idea of that.

Â