Aly Cissokho

samjp26

Left back has been a weak spot for years. No one has really convinced I include Richardson in this.

Agreed.

I think Richardson is fine as a squad member. he can do a job there.

But we need someone better in the first XI

• Like 2

Left back has been a weak spot for years. No one has really convinced I include Richardson in this.

Agreed.

I'd go as far as to say I think we could do with brining in two LB recruits. Especially if we end up changing things up and play both 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 formations we could do with having someone who is more attack-minded (wing back type) as well as a true LB. Also, cover is needed.

http://www.fiorentina.it/it/news/articolo.54.32560/fiorentina-chiesto-aly-cissokho-allaston-villa-e-gilberto-del-botafogo.html

Aly CissokhoCome back Gianluca Di Marzio , remember Aly Cissokho ? One step from the landing in Italy in 2009. Agreement between Milan and Porto to bring the player to the Rossoneri , and then negotiations interrupted for dental problems during medical visits . After six years, Cissokho could re-open the doors of the new Serie A: the outside interests to Fiorentina , who asked to Aston Villa , the current team of the player , a loan with the right of redemption . Deal that can be done , and that could have positive developments soon .

Edited by mightysasquatch

Welcome news.  A nothing player.  A wisp.  One should not get into the habit of admiring footballers just because they do not make an utter arse of themselves when the ball is near them.  He shall not be missed.  A little mean, maybe, but true.

Aston Villa deserves better than water-treaders.  How can we move forward if we tolerate utter, utter averageness?

I read all of Shomin Geki's posts in the voice of Brian Blessed.

I just did that and it made his most infinitely better. I tried reading yours in the voice of Sarah Millican... it did not have the same effect.

• Like 1

The last good LB we had was Bouma - we have struggled there since

Not sure why people tend to focus on LB when they say this - think there was a recent ESPN article along these lines too. I think you could say that about half the positions on the field as far as Villa are concerned. We haven't had a reliable player in terms of both quality and fitness for RB or CB in that time either. Other than Benteke we haven't had any reliable and consistent quality in the final third since Ashley Young left.

Get what you pay for.

I read all of Shomin Geki's posts in the voice of Brian Blessed.

I generally use the Queen's voice for his/her posts, even though from the name I actually imagine he's a member of exiled former Nepalese royal family. 

Man, I hate her. Why her?

I wanted someone with the complete opposite voice to Brian 'Booming' Blessed... what better than the squeaky voiced Geordie? :D

Joe Pasquale.

bye then Ally,  not sure what you did to upset Sherwood somewhere....

Not sure if he upset him, that's a bit of a leap. He's utterly hopeless going forward and he is a little error prone though decent overall defensively. He'd be OK for a McLeish/Pulis/Lambert type team, but if your aim is to play progressive, dynamic and attacking football you need full backs who can carry the ball. Whether we achieve those lofty goals or not, Cissokho simply doesn't fit. Not even as an "option" given his presumed wages.

All IMO. 

Maybe I didn't watch as much of him as everyone else, but for me he wasn't that bad and was certainly better than Richardson. I still think he's the best left back in our current squad. But if we're bringing in Jordan Amavi then it makes sense to sell Cissokho because he's also the most valuable left back in our current squad. Ironically Keiran Richardson is more valuable to us as a player than the 3 bags of crisps he would command in the transfer market.

• Like 4

Agreed.

I'd go as far as to say I think we could do with brining in two LB recruits. Especially if we end up changing things up and play both 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 formations we could do with having someone who is more attack-minded (wing back type) as well as a true LB. Also, cover is needed.

No way we will sign two LB's this summer, Bennett and Richardson will be the cover.

The last good LB we had was Bouma - we have struggled there since

Not sure why people tend to focus on LB when they say this - think there was a recent ESPN article along these lines too. I think you could say that about half the positions on the field as far as Villa are concerned. We haven't had a reliable player in terms of both quality and fitness for RB or CB in that time either. Other than Benteke we haven't had any reliable and consistent quality in the final third since Ashley Young left.

Get what you pay for.

Its probably more to do with the amount of players who have played that position since Bouma left.

From memory clark, baker, cissokho, herd, hutton, richardson, lichaj?, shorey, Bertrand,

Â