Where will we finish in 2014-15?

leviramsey

Europa league spot?! Don't you need to finish 5th as the other two spots are given to the Capital One and FA cup winners? So yeah.... Impossible.

Not necessarily. If the cups are won by teams who finish in the Champions League places then you can qualify in 7th.

Us finishing 7th might be very unlikely but it's not impossible.

Europa league spot?! Don't you need to finish 5th as the other two spots are given to the Capital One and FA cup winners? So yeah.... Impossible.

Not necessarily. If the cups are won by teams who finish in the Champions League places then you can qualify in 7th.

I would say it's near on impossible imo, the top 7 picks itself tbf.

I would say it's near on impossible imo, the top 7 picks itself tbf.

I agree

• 2 weeks later...

1st: 0.5%

2nd: 1.4%

3rd: 2.7%

4th: 3.9%

5th: 5.3%

6th: 6.3%

7th: 7.6%

^^^ upper quartile

8th: 8.4%

9th: 8.3%

10th: 9.7% == median, maximum likelihood

11th: 8.4%

12th: 8.2%

vvv lower quartile

13th: 7.3%

14th: 6.4%

15th: 5.2%

16th: 4.0%

17th: 3.0%

18th: 1.9%

19th: 1.1%

20th: 0.4%

3rd: 0.2%

4th: 0.6%

5th: 1.1%

6th: 2.1%

7th: 3.1%

8th: 4.3%

9th: 5.5%

10th: 6.8%

^^^ upper quartile

11th: 7.8%

12th: 8.4%

13th: 9.1% == median

14th: 9.4% == maximum likelihood

15th: 9.1%

16th: 8.7%

vvv lower quartile

17th: 7.8%

18th: 6.9%

19th: 5.4%

20th: 3.7%

Those numbers don't tell us anything. Because we've won at Liverpool we're now more likely to finish in the top ten than before the game?

Yes.

Ceteris paribus, unless it was a game we had no chance of ever losing, no win can decrease the chance of finishing above a certain place in the table.

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

I think we've shown now that there's no reason we can't at least compete for the best of the rest spot - which is 8th. Top 7 take care of themselves as they're all stronger. But us, Stoke, Southampton, Swansea maybe, should be battling it out for 8-10th. Still very early days, but I am reasonably confident we will finish much more strongly than last year. 12th and below and I think I'd be disappointed.