Where will we finish in 2014-15?

leviramsey

Seriously and without wishing to go over the top or anything but Evernot,  are they seriously man for man better than us?

Of course they are. 

If anyone thinks man for man Everton and Villa are close then they should ask themselves what the heck is Lambert doing trailing 20-30 points behind them. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

Everton are a better team than us currently, no question about that. If we finish above them it will be a reflection on their season, not ours. I'd also add Southampton to that list, but apart from them and the top 6, there's no other teams guaranteed a place above us if we can build on the improvements seen so far.

10th place.

Utv

Seriously and without wishing to go over the top or anything but Evernot,  are they seriously man for man better than us?

Of course they are. 

If anyone thinks man for man Everton and Villa are close then they should ask themselves what the heck is Lambert doing trailing 20-30 points behind them. 

Last time I checked, Villa were 5 points ahead of Everton.

• Like 2

Of course they are. 

Last time I checked, Villa were 5 points ahead of Everton.

Everton have a few big players hitting a downward trajectory. Their defence looks fragile this season, and their manager isn't known for building defences.

• Like 1

I'm bored, so let's have a look:

Goalkeepers

Guzan, Given & Steer

vs

Howard, Robles, Stanek

Overall: Similar

Defenders

Baker, Vlaar, Okore, Clark, Senderos, Hutton, Cissokho, Lowton, Stevens

vs

Hibbert, Baines, Oviedo, Distin, Coleman, Stones, Jagielka, Alcaraz

Overall: I'd put Jags and Vlaar as similar. Distin has been a wonderful performer down the years but I think he's over the hill now, and I'd actually prefer Senderos. Stones and Okore are both highly thought of youngsters who need to fully establish themselves. We've actually got more cover at centre half too, so I think we nick it there. However Everton certainly have better full backs, both at first choice and cover, however well ours have started.

Midfielders

Bacuna, Cleverley, Cole, Westwood, Delph, Herd, Sanchez, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Richardson

vs

Gibson, McGeady, McCarthy, Besic, Barry, Atsu, Barkley, Osman, Pienaar

Overall: We've improved in this area massively, but Everton still have more players who can make a difference going forward, so for that they take it. 

Forwards

Weimann, Agbonlahor, Bent, Benteke, Kozak, Robinson

vs

Eto'o, Kone, Lukaku, Mirallas, Naismith

Overall: I'd argue that we have the better Belgian, but Mirallas and Naismith trumps Gabby and Weimann. Kozak/Bent vs Eto'o/Kone... meh. Not sure. Everton maybe nick it, but it's tight.

SO: I reckon Everton still have a stronger squad. It's tight, but they're better in midfield for sure. However I think they're light at the back, and key injuries could really hurt them. Interestingly, our squad options are pretty strong now. Thing is it's not only about players, but manager/style of play/confidence/luck etc... I fully expect them to finish above us, but maybe we're not as far behind as we thought? 

• Like 1

On the Everton debate I think people are seriously getting ahead of themselves.

15 - Lukaku, 8 - Mirallas, 6 - Coleman, Barkley, 5 - Naismith, Baines. 45 Premier League goals between 6 players last season.

Our whole team managed 39 Premier League goals last season. 4 of those 39 were scored by players no longer at the club (El Ahmadi, Luna, Holt)

As solid as Hutton/Cisokho have been they are well behind Coleman & Baines.

Delph needs to add more goals to his game, he is more than capable of rocketing a goal in from 30 yards. Can Delph get 6 this season? He should be trying to.

Finally with 2 each already you would think Gabby & Andi will have to better last years tally of 9 goals combined. Personally I do not rate Naismith at all as a footballer and am shocked every time I see him in the Everton team. We'd be doing well if we could get 20 goals from Gabby, Andi, Libor.

Patrick cheers I was hoping someone would do that

For me its tight and where as you think they have a better midfield I think we have to be honest.  Forward line is interesting as I think Benteke is better than anything Evernot have by a distance but their back up is better than our back up and for that they nick the forward area.

Just saying they are not that far ahead of us in terms of the squad

Patrick cheers I was hoping someone would do that

For me its tight and where as you think they have a better midfield I think we have to be honest.  Forward line is interesting as I think Benteke is better than anything Evernot have by a distance but their back up is better than our back up and for that they nick the forward area.

Just saying they are not that far ahead of us in terms of the squad

Our 2 centre halfs are better, I think our midfield is a bit of an unknown there's 3 new players in there. Their fullbacks are different animals they're about getting forward. It's tough to say, but I think they're gettable.