Where will we finish in 2014-15?

leviramsey

Reckon we stumble in on 36-40 points.

Now if that leaves us in 15th or 20th is up to how the other teams perform.

A lot can and will happen before the window closes, so it's difficult to say atm.

We are turning into a club no one cares about, just making up the numbers.

But hey, at least we start the season in second place in the table

To be honest we could feasibly finish above the likes of Burnley, Leicester, West Brom, QPR, Sunderland, Crystal Palace and West Ham (any three of those would do just fine ;) )

Swansea will be down there aswell if they sell Bony.

To me in the premier league there's a top 7 who are playing their own league. Then after that Stoke and Newcastle look to have the strongest current squads to me so won't be in any relegation danger.

I doubt think I'm exaggerating to say from 9th downards everyone else will just be glad to stay up and a lot will struggle to get much past 40 points. That was the case last season anyway.

• Like 1

I think we'll see a comfortable mid table finish this season, perhaps even top 10. I think it's easy to write us off, considering what's been going on lately, and the fact that we've had three piss poor seasons in a row. Still, I don't buy into this pessimistic view that seem to be the reigning opinion on here. I don't blame anyone for thinking we'll get relegated, but looking at the squads of newly promoted teams, and of those that finished close to us last season, we should be able compete quite well.

I would rank Burnley, Leicester, QPR and Albion far worse than us, at least on paper. The likes of West Ham, Hull, Palace and Stoke seem on par with us, imho. Also I think our first eleven when fit easily surpasses all the aforementioned teams.

The far bigger concern for me is, will we have the hunger and needed attitude to compete, and what if our counterattacking "tactics" fail, will we have a plan B!?

• Like 1

As of right now - relegation is very, very likely. Nothing last forever, certainly not the flirtation we have had with relegation for the last few years.

Benteke is injured and might not return for a good while - who knows when he will reach the levels he can be at?

Our signings have been lackluster and will not make us any better in my opinion. I don't want to see Senderos anywhere near our team and Cole is always injured + old. Richardson is versatile, but he has never been a good player. I am quite "happy" with him in a sense that he somewhere we can play all over the field, but let's be honest, there is a reason why nobody else wanted to sign him up. Signing Joe Cole is decision based on the old imagine of this player, that he has something to offer. However, he has played 749, 792, 0 and 802 minutes over the last few seasons. That equals to what? 7-8 full games each season? He is soon 33 years old and is someone we should have stayed away from. Relying on aging players is one thing - but when he is injured all the time it is pointless. Why not get in Damien Duff and Kieran Dyer while we're at it?

Right now I would take 16th in an instant. The clubs going to be down there are of course QPR, Burnley and Leicester - but often one of the promoted sides surprise everyone and end up doing well. Crystal Palace will most likely struggle to copy what they did after Christmas and then you have Hull - maybe Sunderland as well. A few clubs will be dragged in there and on paper we are among the 3-4 weakest squads to be honest.

It all comes down to Vlaar and Benteke. If they stay and we get 30+ games out of both of them, we should be fine. However, an injury to Vlaar and setbacks for Benteke and we are doomed.

I think Chelsea will be strong this year, I think United will get 4th in front of Liverpool and I dread us going down. To be honest, we have it coming. The atmosphere around Villa Park will be dreadful in October when we have finished this "tour" of playing all the best teams on the trot. 

First 3 games are key for me get 5-9 points we will be fine 0-4 we will be chasing for the rest of the season because we won't get anything from the next 5 games :(

17th for me it will come down to goal difference.

Saw an article on Ladbrooks re our chances this season and theyve got us at 3/1 to go down. Looking on Odds Checker and we've got some breathing room there but were still apparently more likely than Hull, if you want to feel a bit more depressed.

If we get Benteke back in good time and he hits the ground running I think we should have more comfortable season than many are expecting. We're such a chaotic team though it's very difficulty to predict.

I can only see another season of boring football dished up by Lambert who will be in no danger of getting the sack.

With plenty of "we go again" after some inevitable hammering's, out of the cups in the early rounds, more serious injuries along with the competition between Hutton and Delph to see which one of them gets suspended 1st.

17th if we are lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

1st: 0.1%

2nd: 0.4%

3rd: 1.0%

4th: 1.7%

5th: 2.4%

6th: 3.4%

7th: 4.4%

8th: 5.4%

9th: 6.3%

^^^ upper quartile

10th: 7.2%

11th: 8.0% == max. likelihood (for the record, the max likelihood finish for Man Utd is currently projected to be 12th...)

12th: 7.7% == median

13th: 9.0%

14th: 8.3%

15th: 7.9%

vvv lower quartile

16th: 7.3%

17th: 6.4%

18th: 5.6%

19th: 4.5%

20th: 3.0%

(NB: for now the Monte Carlo is using Norwich's form late last season as a stand-in for Leicester, Fulham's for Burnley, and Cardiff's for Leicester)

7th: 0.1%

8th: 0.1%

9th: 0.3%

10th: 0.8%

11th: 1.3%

12th: 2.7%

13th: 4.7%

14th: 7.0%

15th: 9.5%

^^^ upper quartile

16th: 11.8%

17th: 13.9% == median

18th: 15.1%

vvv lower quartile

19th: 16.8%

20th: 15.9%

(This is strictly based on the second half* of this past season, without taking any transfers etc. into account)

*: the Villa results considered start with Cardiff away