Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

I also have absolutely no idea why JJ Abrams would write and direct the first one but is seemingly not directing the two after it.

It's probably so Disney can crank the movies out in a timely manner. For all their faults as an entity (and there are many) Disney do know how to make a good film and quality control is important to them.

I wouldn't worry too much, because Rian Johnson is doing the next one (and the one after that, going by IMDB), and he's a better director than Abrams.

I am not aware of Rian Johnson's work, but at least he's getting positive chat.

As long as Disney have learnt the lessons Lucas should have shown them about his own story: that despite saying it's essentially a kids story so quit moaning and put up with Jar Jar - it clearly isn't, that isn't where the fans are. Fans = money. Jar Jar, shit CGI tinkered scenes = no money.

I can see Jupitus' point of view about the last trilogy

Star Wars fans across the globe rejoiced last month when the first teaser trailer for JJ Abrams' keenly anticipated continuation of the saga was unveiled.

Yet comedian Phill Jupitus, star of TV shows including QI and Never Mind the Buzzcocks - and a one-time aficionado of George Lucas's intergalactic saga - was pointedly not one of them.

Link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30379678

it was an advert for ILM

and at the same time he aimed it at completely the wrong target audience, you can make a PG or 12a film that will appeal to everyone rather than making a film with large elements aimed at kids, the phantom menace especially, 80% of that film is aimed at 8 year olds

That was exactly my last point.

And Jupitus is correct, even though as mentioned it's what we've all been thinking. Abrams has already commented on CGI and modelling, and that the appeal of the effects ILM were making in the original trilogy looked real (because they were) and the grotty damaged miniatures being blown up looked amazing. In the prequels Lucas went mental, turning the whole thing into a computer game, all squeaky clean and shiny.

And actors. Jesus H Christ, the actors. The world waited for Anakin Skywalker, and got....Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen. Thanks George, you sure can pick em.

"WHY NOT TRY SPINNING, THAT'S A GOOD TRICK!" in the Phantom Menace is possibly the worst dialogue ever committed to celluloid.

Â