Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think thanks to the latter they will be considered better films, they're better made, definitely better acted and for the most the script is better

but as a trilogy they new films simply don't work, I think they're both poor and disappointing for different reasons but ultimately the new trilogy is disappointing because it feels like a story that was tacked on to the other 6 films (with the 9th film feeling like a tack on of a tack on) a story that doesn't need to be told and actually has little to do with the original trilogy, the prequals they made a mess of but at least it felt like it had its place

whether or not you believe the guff about lucas writing 9 films at the start the prequals felt like yeah maybe he did, the new trilogy feels like even before they started film 9 they had no clear idea of where to go with it, no way in hell were these 3 latest films written as a trilogy and it shows because they don't work

I completely agree. I'm pretty sure the original screenplay was split into 9 parts - that nugget was being thrown around long before even parts 1-3 were a thing - but I don't believe for one second that any of the later three had anything to do with that original story. As you say, it showed, and the three films don't hold together as a trilogy very well.

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I completely agree. I'm pretty sure the original screenplay was split into 9 parts - that nugget was being thrown around long before even parts 1-3 were a thing - but I don't believe for one second that any of the later three had anything to do with that original story. As you say, it showed, and the three films don't hold together as a trilogy very well.

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I don’t even buy that the prequels were pre written.  So much shoe horning and retconning in them.  The word ‘Sith’ isn’t uttered once in the original trilogy. 

I think the story is that Lucas originally pitched something that began roughly where Phantom Menace began, and with a plan to run over multiple films in a long running saga, but then ended up going with the midpoint story and actually fleshed that out into roughly what we ended up with with A New Hope. Which itself was famously a mess and was rescued in the editing room by his wife.

There's no way at all there was a complete plot to much if any of the overall saga from Lucas's POV, and I'd be surprised if his original plan for a trilogy of trilogies had much more than blank sheets with 'part 1, part 2, part 3...' written on them.

The prequels are painfully obviously written retrospectively, plotted and structured to reach a basic goal while touching on some bigger themes (I.e. it's a rise of Nazism allegory). It buggers that up because Lucas is a dreadful writer - he does ideas and themes, but the nitty gritty of writing he **** sucks at, hence why we get awful dialogue throughout the films and one of the least convincing romances in cinema history as a long running plot.

The sequel trilogy completely disregarded anything Lucas had in mind, Disney apparently rebuked George when he offered his thoughts for episodes 7-9, which probably wasnt a bad idea, but then they **** up by not having a roadmap at all (which is all the more galling because it's stablemate series has shown what having even a basic outline of ah overarching plot can do for a running plot). Instead they gave JJ Abrams largely free reign to do a soft reboot, which he did by remaking A New Hope and riddling it with mystery boxes, and then have Rian Johnson free reign to take the gaggle of ideas Abrams left around the writing room to do what he wanted with, and it turns out what he wanted to do with those is bin them and to make a very different Star Wars film. And everyone hated it. So they hurriedly sacked the next director and parachute Abrams back in to do a fanboy pleasing rescue job on the flaming wreck. And he achieves a slightly more canon flaming wreck, perhaps because the guy that co-wrote BvS helped him write this car crash.

Imagine if they'd had a general roadmap sketched out. There's enough here to suggest they could have done something decent enough. Instead they fudged it.

What a complete **** up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Going to see it tonight.

Don't think I've looked forward to going to the cinema less in my life.

Going purely because me and my mate have been to see all the previous "new" ones (Actually we skipped Solo because TLJ was so so bad it put us off completely)

47 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Solo is worse then TLJ.

ROS is entertaining and well made but ultimately frustrating.

p.s. Solo is the worst Star Wars universe movie by a mile, avoid.

Jar Jar Binks says Hi.

TLJ is by far the worst IMO (yes even worse than Solo)

It's a driving miss Daisy car chase with a totally pointless side quest where they let some horses free.

This one is spot on.

• Haha 1

TLJ is definitely the worst I've seen. And I've seen them all except Solo.

It was utterly dreadful, and about 75% of the film only happens because of a ludicrously stupid plot hole.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

TLJ is definitely the worst I've seen. And I've seen them all except Solo.

It was utterly dreadful, and about 75% of the film only happens because of a ludicrously stupid plot hole.

I went to a special showing here, free alcohol, I was PISSED, and I loved the film.

I went back and watched it sober and hated it 😂

• Haha 2

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Return of the Jedi

3. A New Hope

4. Rogue One

5. The Force Awakens

6. Rise of Skywalker

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. The Last Jedi

9. Phantom Menace

10. Solo

11. Attack of the Clones

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

ESB

ANH

RotJ

RO

FA

RotS

TLJ

Solo

Rise of Skywalker

PM

AotC

There's more poor to outright bad Star Wars films than there are good. Rise of Skywalker is lucky there's 2 absolutely horrific films in the series, and that most of its problems are just down to a terrible, terrible ideas and plot and writing, as opposed to that x10 plus bad acting and weak CGI. It's been saved from the bottom by others being worse.

Like whoever comes 17th in the league this season.

The Empire Strikes Back is the only legitimately good film in the whole franchise. A New Hope is a bit of fun but ultimately just a cheesy kids movie and the rest of them are a bunch of wank. 

Edit: Possibly should have posted this in the ‘Unpopular Opinions’ thread. 

Edited by LondonLax

Pretty much every franchise with loads of movies have the odd good ones and the bulk made up of mostly crap.

Even the ones who have tons of ready made source material to choose from.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Return of the Jedi

3. A New Hope

4. Rogue One

5. The Force Awakens

6. Rise of Skywalker

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. The Last Jedi

9. Phantom Menace

10. Solo

11. Attack of the Clones

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

ESB

ANH

RotJ

RO

FA

RotS

TLJ

Solo

Rise of Skywalker

PM

AotC

There's more poor to outright bad Star Wars films than there are good. Rise of Skywalker is lucky there's 2 absolutely horrific films in the series, and that most of its problems are just down to a terrible, terrible ideas and plot and writing, as opposed to that x10 plus bad acting and weak CGI. It's been saved from the bottom by others being worse.

Like whoever comes 17th in the league this season.

Very telling that both of these lists have the same top 4, and when you think about it, maybe those are the only ones that should have been made.

3 hours ago, sne said:

TLJ is by far the worst IMO (yes even worse than Solo)

It's a driving miss Daisy car chase with a totally pointless side quest where they let some horses free.

This one is spot on.

"Make her fly . . . like Mary Poppins" :crylaugh:

17 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Agree with the top 4 posted above, but don't get all the Solo hate. Saying TLJ is better than Solo is madness.

solo was ok but suffered from futility, felt like the movie that no one wanted that didn't need to be made that told us nothing of interest (apart from his lucky dice! I always wondered where he got them from....said no one)

it was a horrible cash in with very few redeeming scenes, you can argue RO was the same but RO did have the redeeming scenes, it had the mother of all redeeming scenes

Â