Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

for me Rogue One is the best Star Wars film and the only one that holds up to repeat viewing  , so with that caveat out the way  ....

I watched  the last one on Tuesday  , watched it mainly for closure  , same reason I saw The Matrix 3 even though the Matrix 2 was possibly the worse film ever made  , until they made The Matrix 3 ....

It was pretty shit if I'm honest , I think I could have predicted 90% of the story line  , although thye wrapped things up with a nice bow at the end  , the last trilogy offered nothing really , even if the prequels were disappointing at least at added something to the whole storyline of who and how Luke skywalker came about  ... hopefully that's the end of it now and i won't get suckered into watching another Star Wars trilogy

Edited by tonyh29
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

Even longer ago in a galaxy far, far away?

Marvel’s Kylo Ren #2 comic echoes a big rumor about future Star Wars movies

Rise of Skywalker makes greater demands, and if Marvel’s The Rise of Kylo Ren #2 is any indication, the future of Star Wars storytelling is an all-encompassing transmedia odyssey.

A few days before Kylo Ren #2, MakingStarWars.net, which has published reputable plot specifics in the past, ran a brief rumor about the story of the next, yet-to-be-announced chapter in the Star Wars film saga. According to an unnamed source next movies will take place in a period of time dubbed “The High Republic” era, which would land about 400 years before the events of the Skywalker saga. It’s a period when, according to the report, the Sith’s “Rule of Two” has been established by Darth Bane and Yoda would be a scrappy young Jedi. The movies would align with Project Luminous, a massive storytelling campaign previously teased at the 2019 Star Wars Celebration. According to a report by fan site ziro.hu, Luminous will tie together video games, comics, and books to chronicle the story of multiple Jedi investigating ancient Sith gods in “unknown regions” of the galaxy, a saga MakingStarWars.net says crosses over to the new films.

Taken all with a grain of salt, the idea of Star Wars catapulting back in time to escape the sameness of the Skywalker saga is a logical and daring move, one that allows them to carve out deeper, interconnected mythology with the shine of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The big shock this week is that The Rise of Kylo Ren #2 bolsters the rumor with a direct reference to the unestablished moment in time.At the top of the year, Marvel rebooted Star Wars comics in anticipation of a new era for the mega-franchise. Star Wars #1, released on Jan. 1, 2020, begins to rewrite the aftermath of Empire Strikes Back for the new canon. Kylo Ren will continue to fill in the backstory of how Han and Leia’s son was courted by the Dark Side (and hopefully tell us a little more about that whole Snoke clone thing).

But in passing, the new Star Wars books are also preparing us for something fresh: a step back in time before the days of the First Order, the Galactic Empire, the Republic, and everything we’ve seen on screen so far. If rumors are true (and they’re looking that way), Lucasfilm will lightspeed skip away from the original trilogy touchstones into the unknown regions of storytelling. And in that future, Marvel’s comics become more essential than ever

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/1/8/21055723/marvel-rise-of-kylo-ren-2-comic-new-star-wars-movies-high-republic-era

1 minute ago, sne said:

Even longer ago in a galaxy far, far away?

:snip:

that's a perfect TV series

I also like how its sounding like this trilogy will be the same as the last, nowhere as good as the additional content and filler that they put out, the clone wars books are still the best thing about the prequels 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you're going to love the matrix 4 then tony...

yeah heard about this the other day , I kinda know I'm going to end up watching it unless someone slips me a blue pill   ...

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah heard about this the other day , I kinda know I'm going to end up watching it unless someone slips me a blue pill   ...

and me, its only one of the "brothers" this time and my enjoyment of it will depend on the martial arts and big set pieces, hopefully they've learned their lesson and keep it in the matrix rather than bullshit scenes in the real world or mind blowingly convoluted talking scenes about stuff no one gives a shit about

deep down even the shite 2nd and 3rd film have good characters and a great villain, just try way too hard and went off in a direction no one wanted

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

My favourite (and one of my favourite Sc-Fi movies ever).

Lovely, lovely movie.

The shittest Star Trek movie is better than anything Star warszzzzz

21 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Committed Star Wars fan of 40+ years of experience. Just for the record of this thread, I feel the need to spout off and say what an absolute travesty Episode 9 is for the 'Skywalker' saga this was. 7, 8 and 9 are pointless and seemingly precious little to do with the actual Skywalker saga... Either that, or 1 to 6 become pointless as it renders Anakin's sacrifice completely irrelevant, thus crapping on 40-odd years of lore and established story. The modern trilogy has in places attempted to do a remake of 4, 5 and 6 'fit for a 21st Century beta audience' merely with a female skin... And no, I don't have an issue with female lead characters... only poorly written ones, of which Rey is an example.

Disney would have been far better starting a completely new story arc with a completely separate trilogy.

It's hard, but I'm 'breaking up' with Star Wars. It can kiss my arse now. The wreckage confirmed with 2 hours and 20 minutes of fast paced nonsense. 7, 8 and 9 have been visually stunning in places, eye candy and some fan service... but overall, it's been claptrap. The name of this film is a complete misdirection and cynical attempt to use the Skywalker name in a hope to draw people back in.

One of the most troubling things about Episode 9 is the very final sequence. It's complete gibberish, flying in the face of two other times in the film where the character concerned is advised 'don't be afraid of who you are.' It's like somebody deciding to change their name because an uncle by marriage committed an armed robbery once, it got in the papers about the court case, and they can't deal with the 'stain.' Absolute shite-hawking all over the whole thing. The absolute BRASS NECK of Disney.

If you haven't already been to see it, save your money. And that's from somebody who has previously considered Star Wars to be the greatest story ever told... Delusions of grandeur now unfortunately.

I agree with everything you wrote here. (The Mandalorian is great though)

It was “alright”

they closed out the old saga and was a bit obvious in their approach.

light saber  fights were fantastic and the battles overall. 

the pace of the film was a bit average, never really on the edge of my seat apart from one battle. 

Rogue one remains the best of the Disney franchise Star Wars movies. That was genuinely brilliant. 

Disney may make cynical cash-grabby movies with lots of colors, explosions and disposable CGI-armies aimed at kids and young (at heart) adults, but it works for them.

The Rise of Skywalker just became Disney’s seventh billion-dollar hit of 2019

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker topped $1 billion in worldwide box office earnings on Tuesday, according to released estimates. The milestone, crossed after 28 days in theaters, gives Disney seven of the nine billion-dollar earners launched in 2019. Both are records, of course, and probably not ones to be matched anytime soon.

Disney’s ongoing estimate of The Rise of Skywalker’s haul had it crossing the milestone sometime Sunday. Last weekend, Disney said Star Wars’ ninth episode had taken in $919 million since its Dec. 20 premiere. After a $4.5 million take on Tuesday, Rise of Skywalker stands at $1.001 billion overall. That means $1 billion and an extra million dollars carrying them over the threshold.

2019’s billion-dollar earners are, in order:

1. Avengers: Endgame ($2.7 billion, Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
  2. The Lion King ($1.6 billion, Disney)
  3. Frozen 2 ($1.3 billion, Disney)
  4. Spider-Man: Far From Home ($1.1 billion, Sony Pictures Releasing)
  5. Captain Marvel ($1.1 billion, Disney)
  6. Toy Story 4 ($1.07 billion, Disney)
  7. Joker ($1.06 billion, Warner Bros. Pictures)
  8. Aladdin ($1.05 billion, Disney)
  9. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker ($1.001 billion, Disney)

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/15/21061384/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-box-office-billion-dollars-disney

Edited by sne

Â