Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

TROS was probably my least favourite of the new episodes (on first watch), but I still loved it. Moments in it put me right back to the first time I watched New Hope, and I'm not afraid to say my eyes were moist during the last scene. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

TROS was probably my least favourite of the new episodes (on first watch), but I still loved it. Moments in it put me right back to the first time I watched New Hope, and I'm not afraid to say my eyes were moist during the last scene. 

I get you big fella.  For some reason the air con in our cinema was making my ears water at that point as well. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the film though I have seen them all I wouldnt consider myself a huge Star Wars expert. This was definitely more entertaining though for the 3 films I think the Rey/Ren relationship played out way too long

cracking cameo near the end

Spoiler

the C3PO actor playing a fighter pilot

Edited by Zatman

I thought it was utter garbage, there are some good moments and some cool looking planets but nowhere near enough to redeem the god awful writing, everything about the main story is complete pish, broken up every now and then by some cheap emotionless poor attempt at evoking emotion 

knights of REN were even worse than the silver storm trooper whatever her name was

off the top of my head things I didn’t like 

Spoiler

Finn being force sensitive with ten minutes left

chewie / Rey / c3po / REN “dying”

anything to do with palpatine, it felt like a huge get out of jail stretch after snokes death, no way was that the plan at the start 

the opening scrawl

the comment about droid followed by the droid doing something and it being repeated / exact same thing with there’s more of us / probably the worst the Rey “I don’t have a last name” line to the little alien and then that end scene

the 2 new characters doing pretty much nothing whilse rose was demoted, the hobbits role was also pointless

the Finn attempt at romance with Rey which is poorly done and then forgotten

the new droid 

hux being a spy

the Han scene

without trying to get too tied up in to it following the ridiculous stuff from the last film and the debate about what it actually is, the force being able to heal wounds

The whole film screamed desperately trying to fix a **** up 

• Like 2

Worra load of absolute cobblers. I recently rewatched the last one, and it was much worse than I remembered, and this one was not any better. There were two good aspects of watching this film; firstly, absolutely fair play to the casting director or whoever for having the vision to give Richard E Grant the role he was born to play, a simpering, malovent General Baddie whose uppance inevitably comes. He was the absolute best bit of the film, and frankly I'd rather he'd have had a much bigger role as the main antagonist. The second positive was the discovery that at multiplexes in Canada, you can buy beers and take them into the screen with you! VERY CIVILISED.

Everything else was absolute tosh. Hard to see whether the horse-things galloping on the wings of spaceships were the dumbest, or the 'lightspeed-skipping' scene, or the constant **** ghosts of family members turning up at opportune moments, but my personal favourite dumb aspect is the absolute torturing of the concept of time. What was more ridiculous - one character fearfully telling others that an attack would be happening across multiple star systems 'in 16 hours' time', or

Spoiler

someone receiving a message on his intercome about three minutes after defeating the baddies that people all over the galaxy are rising up in joy (!!!!!!)?

Absolute drivel, the lot of it.

• Like 3

Completely agree with that, Richard e grants character is a lot better than hux 

Forgot about the light speed skipping, my problem is that from the 1st line of the opening scrawl my faith in the writing has gone, everything they're doing is make it up as they go along so whereas in force awakens when han did the light speed trick I was on board with it and liked it but this film doesn't get a pass, anything they throw in to the mix now feels like a cheap writing trick to get themselves out of a hole but that kind of "new" stuff happens probably over 10 times in film 9 of 9...you can't do that

With all the criticism though I would say it's a better film than the last jedi, for all the rushed made up at the last minute mess of the main story arc that's still more interesting than the boring chase through space stuff, it also feels more star wars-y, there was a moment during the final 3rd where I couldn't help but smile and think star wars at its core is still really **** cool, they're just making a hash of it (again) 

Im not sure if this trilogy is worse than the 2nd one, definitely feels more frustrating right now, feels pointless whereas the prequals don't 

• Like 2

TROS is an an absolute disaster from start to finish . It was actually painful to watch a 2 hour mcguffin quest trying to retcon itself out of a toilet it shat itself in to.

It's bad when you'd rather watch a teenage Anakin at a sandcastle competition.

And he hates sand.

The Mandalorian on the other hand is excellent, Disney need to give Favreau and Chow the keys to everything.

This is the way.

I have spoken.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sne said:

I thought The Mandalorian was boring as heck. Sunday morning cartoon with a Star Wars skin.

Not a single thing I enjoyed about it. 

Agree with the first bit but not the second, it's throw away and not really gripping or must watch (I'm about 3 episodes behind) but when I do watch it it's solid and enjoyable 

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

Those last two episodes of The Mandalorian were exceptional. Why oh why can't the motion films be of the same standard??

I agree it’s excellent, really enjoyed it. Although I enjoyed TROS too but it’s certainly the weakest of the new trilogy.

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agree with the first bit but not the second, it's throw away and not really gripping or must watch (I'm about 3 episodes behind) but when I do watch it it's solid and enjoyable 

I don't mean that it was all crap, but for me it was all forgettable.

And even by Star Wars standards the "baby Yoda" cuddly toy was a bit cash grabby :D 

On 01/01/2020 at 03:28, Chindie said:

these films have been better than the prequels, but not by as big a distance as they really should have been. They're unanimously well made, but very flawed films that do nothing with the property and end up as rather mediocre eye candy than anything earth shattering.

I think thanks to the latter they will be considered better films, they're better made, definitely better acted and for the most the script is better

but as a trilogy they new films simply don't work, I think they're both poor and disappointing for different reasons but ultimately the new trilogy is disappointing because it feels like a story that was tacked on to the other 6 films (with the 9th film feeling like a tack on of a tack on) a story that doesn't need to be told and actually has little to do with the original trilogy, the prequals they made a mess of but at least it felt like it had its place

whether or not you believe the guff about lucas writing 9 films at the start the prequals felt like yeah maybe he did, the new trilogy feels like even before they started film 9 they had no clear idea of where to go with it, no way in hell were these 3 latest films written as a trilogy and it shows because they don't work

• Like 2

Â