Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

It's the worst editing I've ever seen from any film with a big budget.   It's deliberate as well IMO.  They clearly  didn't want  viewers having any time to think about a scene before the next one is flung at you.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

It's the worst editing I've ever seen from any film with a big budget.   It's deliberate as well IMO.  They clearly  didn't want  viewers having any time to think about a scene before the next one is flung at you.

LOL the start is jumpy as feck for sure

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Agree with the top 4 posted above, but don't get all the Solo hate. Saying TLJ is better than Solo is madness.

There's not a great deal in it, but the Last Jedi has some things that elevate it above Solo for me.

The Last Jedi admirably tries to do something different with Star Wars, it tries to make a more thematically rich film, although does so cack handedly. It's also very well shot and the performances are top notch across the board. It's plot is completely dreadful as a vehicle for it's ideas and is riddled with plot holes, it's bizarrely small scale and has a weird seemingly disdainful attitude to its predecessor. And it has some truly awful humour and crap scenes.

Solo, meanwhile, on the plus side, isn't as bad as it might have been. Ehrenreich isn't Harrison Ford but he's...  ok. Harrelson is good. Glover is great. It has a decent set piece at the end of the first act. 

But it's still not good. The entire plot is, to pinch someone else's clever thought, not so much an origin story for Solo, but rather how he got his stuff. It's very by the numbers, you could plot the entire thing 30 years ago and be just about bang on besides the details of it's central plot (which has no real bearing on anything). It's also pug ugly - the cinematography is horrible with nasty murky dirty scene after scene, and shit framing of shots, seemingly because Ron Howard's reshoots were done fast with limited sets so they had to do as many quick tight shots as possible to save money and time. Subsequently it's one of the worst looking blockbusters of the last few years imo. And it has a laughable wider universe connection as a stinger, which feels very very 'boardroom genius'.

And that's kinda the problem with it. It feels **** cynical. Where the Last Jedi is a bit crap, it feels like it's trying to do something more than just be a shat out cash in, and it's well made. Solo isn't. It's just cashing in on a bankable character with a story nobody wanted, doing nothing interesting with it, and clearly just because it's the obvious thing to do with the franchise to make some cash from the golden goose. 

Imo of course.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Very telling that both of these lists have the same top 4, and when you think about it, maybe those are the only ones that should have been made.

I thought Rogue One was quite shit as well. I'd rate FA above that

Just back from The Rise of Skywalker.

Quite shit, as expected. Only positive is my expectations were so low, that I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I think I might prefer it TLJ, but again that might be due to expectations.

It's a total mess though. Several moments when I was chuckling to myself at how shit parts were. 

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

everywhere I see says that Disney+ is only available in the US - how are people watching the Mandalorian? 

A VPN will solve many woes...

That or straight up old fashioned high seas stuff...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/01/2020 at 10:17, Tayls said:

everywhere I see says that Disney+ is only available in the US - how are people watching the Mandalorian? 

Usenet, Astraweb, Sabnzbd, Sonarr. Once you have these ducks lined up in a row, the episodes magically appear on your computer every week without fail.

I'll be going to watch TROS at the cinema this week. I was going to just stream it online, but I'll take Mum out to see it instead.

I think that once an ultimatum for the plot becomes apparent to the audience, it becomes more difficult to maintain enchantment and even interest.

I'm hopeful that this is the underlying reason behind such poor reviews for TROS, but I don't know, and after watching TLJ, I'm not so sure it is.

Committed Star Wars fan of 40+ years of experience. Just for the record of this thread, I feel the need to spout off and say what an absolute travesty Episode 9 is for the 'Skywalker' saga this was. 7, 8 and 9 are pointless and seemingly precious little to do with the actual Skywalker saga... Either that, or 1 to 6 become pointless as it renders Anakin's sacrifice completely irrelevant, thus crapping on 40-odd years of lore and established story. The modern trilogy has in places attempted to do a remake of 4, 5 and 6 'fit for a 21st Century beta audience' merely with a female skin... And no, I don't have an issue with female lead characters... only poorly written ones, of which Rey is an example.

Disney would have been far better starting a completely new story arc with a completely separate trilogy.

It's hard, but I'm 'breaking up' with Star Wars. It can kiss my arse now. The wreckage confirmed with 2 hours and 20 minutes of fast paced nonsense. 7, 8 and 9 have been visually stunning in places, eye candy and some fan service... but overall, it's been claptrap. The name of this film is a complete misdirection and cynical attempt to use the Skywalker name in a hope to draw people back in.

One of the most troubling things about Episode 9 is the very final sequence. It's complete gibberish, flying in the face of two other times in the film where the character concerned is advised 'don't be afraid of who you are.' It's like somebody deciding to change their name because an uncle by marriage committed an armed robbery once, it got in the papers about the court case, and they can't deal with the 'stain.' Absolute shite-hawking all over the whole thing. The absolute BRASS NECK of Disney.

If you haven't already been to see it, save your money. And that's from somebody who has previously considered Star Wars to be the greatest story ever told... Delusions of grandeur now unfortunately.

• Like 4

Â