Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

Suarez; Guardian 

“I’d dreamt of this,” he said. “I’m enjoying this moment because of everything I suffered, the criticism I received. Before the game too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years. This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now.”

What pure crack pipe is he smoking, the media have been licking his ring piece over the past 12 months, typical victim mentality. I still think he is a cheating, diving, biting racist who happens to be very good at football. Why does he think being a good footballer absolves his shitty non-footballing behaviour! 

• Like 3

Hard luck. I still think there is a good chance to qualify for England. I couldn't watch the games. Only 4 games I haven't watched most of it, two England games, Japan Vs Ivory Cost and Cameron Vs Mexico.

But I heard England played very good. Especially in their first game.

Blame has to lay squarely with Hodgson

He bought into the hype of Tony Daley part 2 who has no end product , he picked Baines over Cole who clearly is twice the player Baines will ever be , he picked Wellbeck and if that wasn't bad enough he then played him in Midfield , he played Rooney at LM , he picked Henderson and the icing on the cake was picking Gerrard who is clearly past it

Look at the other decent teams in this World Cup and they play with 2 banks of 4 pretty much all the time , and you also see the teams in the champions league do it ... It seems to be the way football is lately

That is the opposite of the way football is now, 2 banks of four is dead. Flexibility is key, the fact that Rooney playing left or centre was such a big debate says a lot.

Playing Henderson and Gerrard in the middle and no one else has cost England, defending from the front is great but not if you can't defend from the back.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

Surely having to sing 'god save our gracious queen...long to reign over us' puts you guys on a downer before you even begin. I'd be embarrassed. Try changing your national anthem.

On a more practical note, try teaching home grown kids to pass.

Where are you from, Kingfisher? Just out of interest? I'm not going to go anywhere xenophobic with this, I'm just curious.

Changing the national anthem won't do anything, and our home grown kids can pass, they just don't do it quick enough.

We should have our kids play Futsal from an early age like other countries do.

Wales.

Ha ha. In that case it's your national anthem too.  :)

Next time you post please type out the first verse of "God save the Queen" before developing your argument.

I have noticed a couple of times that teams belting out their national anthem with great fervour - along with their fans - have gone on to produce winning performances against the odds. The Chilean team vs Spain and Uruguay last night.

The Chilean team were almost scary, shouting the words and banging their chests. Seemed to be a lot about freedom.

The FA get it all wrong yet again hiring Hodgson, whose insistence on starting Gerrard, Jagielka, Glen Johnson, and Jordan Henderson clearly cost them the game. Jagielka is not anywhere near good enough. Uruguay must be having a good old laugh right about now. Pub league defending. Lallana should have been in there, why was Sterling brought off, he was the best midfielder in a white shirt. There was no form to the side, it was all seat of their pants stuff. They were desperate from the first whistle, and it showed. A proper 4-4-2 might have been worth trying too.

There are many reasons why England are no good. Too many foreign players in our top leagues, not enough quality in our players or coaching staff, lack of strength in depth, our best players are past their best etc.

Also, look at how many of the best players from the top countries play outside of their own leagues. All of our players, last night, play in our own league. How many Uruguayans play in their own country?

Overall, we just aren't good enough. I don't think I will ever see England win anything in my lifetime and I'm 42 now.

The FA get it all wrong yet again hiring Hodgson, whose insistence on starting Gerrard, Jagielka, Glen Johnson, and Jordan Henderson clearly cost them the game. Jagielka is not anywhere near good enough. Uruguay must be having a good old laugh right about now. Pub league defending. Lallana should have been in there, why was Sterling brought off, he was the best midfielder in a white shirt. There was no form to the side, it was all seat of their pants stuff. They were desperate from the first whistle, and it showed. A proper 4-4-2 might have been worth trying too.

It is all very well complaining about the players the manager picked after the fact but most of the time his selections are fairly popular. It's not like England have a group of world class players not being picked. Complaining about picking the likes of Jagielka, Henderson or even Glen Johnson is pointless if in reality those are the best players England have in those positions.

It would be like me complaining about the Socceroo manager picking McGowan, Wilkinson and Davidson for the Australian defence.   

Three years ago an official report concluded that coaching is the "golden thread" leading to international success, but new Uefa data shows that there are only 2,769 English coaches holding Uefa's B, A and Pro badges, its top qualifications. Spain has produced 23,995, Italy 29,420, Germany 34,970 and France 17,588.

Between them those four nations have provided eight of the 12 finalists at all the World Cups and European Championships since 1998. England, meanwhile, have not appeared in a tournament final in 44 years.

There are 2.25 million players in England and only one Uefa-qualified coach for every 812 people playing the game. Spain, the World Cup favourites, have 408,134 players, giving a ratio of 1:17. In Italy, the world champions, the ratio is 1:48, in France it is 1:96, Germany 1:150 and even Greece, the Euro 2004 winners, have only 180,000 registered players for their 1,100 coaches, a ratio of 1:135.

From the Guardian. And that right there is our problem in a nutshell. Not enough quality coaching. Too much emphasis on strength and passion. Not enough on ball skills and ball retention. 

A foolish belief by those in the media that we have "the best league in the world" and therefore should be a force on the International stage. Too many players believing the media hype about them and their abilities when in reality they are nothing more than average. Too many average players earning stupendous amounts of money and thinking that means they have made it.

I am glad I don't really bother too much about England and International football. 

• Like 4

Surely having to sing 'god save our gracious queen...long to reign over us' puts you guys on a downer before you even begin. I'd be embarrassed. Try changing your national anthem.

On a more practical note, try teaching home grown kids to pass.

Where are you from, Kingfisher? Just out of interest? I'm not going to go anywhere xenophobic with this, I'm just curious.

Changing the national anthem won't do anything, and our home grown kids can pass, they just don't do it quick enough.

We should have our kids play Futsal from an early age like other countries do.

Wales.

Ha ha. In that case it's your national anthem too.  :)

Next time you post please type out the first verse of "God save the Queen" before developing your argument.

I have noticed a couple of times that teams belting out their national anthem with great fervour - along with their fans - have gone on to produce winning performances against the odds. The Chilean team vs Spain and Uruguay last night.

The Chilean team were almost scary, shouting the words and banging their chests. Seemed to be a lot about freedom.

Kingfisher has a slight point. I refuse to sing our national anthem - it's not a national anthem as far as I'm concerned, just a butt-licking propaganda exercise for our unelected head of state and her inbreds.

Not that it would make much difference, we're dreadful and so far behind the rest of the world it's difficult to see just how we're going to catch up. We just put so much emphasis on power and pace in this country that actual ability and footballing nous is some kind of afterthought. 

Welbeck is a good example of all our problems in one package.

And yet again the lfc media bias carries on. Despite what most fans saw as a woeful performance again from gerrard nothing st all in the media to criticise him. One of the worst England captain performances ever but no comment

100 agree,  utter rubbish from Gerrard,  he talks a good game though.  Looked an old man last night.  Tired,  no ideas,  no drive.  word removed.

Rooney,  joker.  The media talk about him like he is,  at any minute going to turn the clock back 10 years and go past a defender.  Nope,  never going to happen.  The only bright side is Manure gave him a 5 year contract.

Central defenders  :D

Our goalie what a word removed.

Most of them can't or won't receive the ball in places that most other teams will,  they pop it off to sturridge / rooney and they can't even control it ,  let alone 1 touch and go.

If you squint a bit at the telly,  just watch the white bits.........kids football in reality.  No shape and and no ideas.

• Like 1

Given that I was born in 1972,  what have England ever done since then ?

International football is always a bit shite IMO but my desire and drive to watch them in a tournament again is at an all time low,  I don't think it will return.

I have a lot of other things to do and wasting the hours watching these muppets is a crime really.  150 k - 200k a week some of these are on.

How upset are they really ?

Kingfisher has a slight point. I refuse to sing our national anthem - it's not a national anthem as far as I'm concerned, just a butt-licking propaganda exercise for our unelected head of state and her inbreds.

I think of our national anthem a bit the way I think about our (Villa's) defence: It may be rubbish but it's the only one we've got.

Started with 4 forwards again and paid the price, a team that hadn't played together until the world cup, it's incompetent.

Rooney was our best player, the majority of the others didn't know how to play in the positions they were given.

We have the players, it's the attitude and tactics that's all wrong

The blame, for me, lays firmly at the FA's feet. Roy was never the man for the job, as nice as he is he's not exactly inspirational.

English management is poor and not just in football, yes men make it to the top by playing the promotion game, bring on Stuart Pearce, or another bland yes man

Italy will draw to Costa Rica and lose to Uruguay, Italy are a poor team, we are out

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

Whether we advance or not, I hope Hodgson resigns or is given the boot as soon as the tournament is over.

I don't.

I think he's got us heading in roughly the right direction, despite a very bad performance yesterday.

I think to sack him would be knee jerk, and I hope if they do they have somebody lined up to replace him who can carry on a similar strategy