New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

42 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The whole crest redesign process was littered with references to a potential round badge even before the fan survey had taken place. Images of the 1982 win were everywhere. I refer to you to this page for instance: https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/august/24/aston-villa-crest-supporters-survey/

The following paragraph is indicative:548528383_Screenshot_20221110-1838062.thumb.jpg.7e0f4a1300664d105f920e660c583667.jpg

I would also screenshot the header image on the link, of our 1982 triumph with the round badge clearly visible beside the trophy, but your website only allows a total file size of 300k to be attached to posts, so I can't.

Suffice it to say that the above are examples of how organisations attempt to position the option that is favoured by the hierarchy all the way through a "survey" process in order to influence the outcome. It's not hard to do. It wasn't very hard to spot either.

If that's what the club have done, then hurrah I say! They got an outcome which looks very Aston Villa.  (In my opinion, the usual disclaimer.)

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

You've formed an opinion on the club's motivation and assigned it to a named indiviual.

He is the CEO. It's his operation, the redesign is his initiative.

If Twitter rebranded (which they probably will do) according to a user poll, and low-key suggested to users via the accompanying narrative that one option might be preferred over the other, would you call me out for suggesting that Musk wanted the big black lightning bolt to replace the cute little bird?

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Look at the 1 and then look at the 4.

Both of those digits need to be equidistant from the inner (blue) circle above and equidistant from the outer (blue) border beneath, and they're not. The 4 is too tilted on its axis.

It's actually really poor graphic design tbh, easily spotted by anyone with an eye for design and just as easily fixed; I'm amazed they haven't.

I think I noticed that was a bit off to be fair 

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If there was a touch more detail to the badge, I don’t know, a yellow trim to the circle or something, and getting rid of the star, I’d like it more.

It’s better than what we had, but I don’t feel like it’s a badge that particularly unites a majority of the supporters in some meaningful way. It’s just a bit nondescript. 

7/10, not really worth the fuss, but it’s settled. For now.

You reckon it's the Gerrard before our Emery of badges? 😂

• Haha 1

People trying to say the club had already made up their mind about a round badge before the survey... Do realise that the club have access to social media and will have seen loads of fans begging for a round badge to come back right?

Don't think there was any conspiracy.

The results reflect what they've been asking for, whether some of us like it or not 

My final verdict; or, Why I wasn't keen on the idea of the round badge at first but why I now don't mind it.

I wasn't keen on a revist of the round badge at first as I thought it was a nice enough badge in of itself but looked a little dated now and so belonged in the past and we should try something new but I think they've tweaked it enough that it doesn't look too old fashioned and whilst the different elements all kind of look basic in isolation when put all together I think it looks okay, it somehow seems as if to suggest the intrinsic nature and indispensable quality of Aston Villa, or in other words it captures the essence of Aston Villa, certainly better so than the previous badge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Look at the 1 and then look at the 4.

Both of those digits need to be equidistant from the inner (blue) circle above and equidistant from the outer (blue) border beneath, and they're not. The 4 is too tilted on its axis.

It's actually really poor graphic design tbh, easily spotted by anyone with an eye for design and just as easily fixed; I'm amazed they haven't.

Is it worth contacting the club about? Even with the software available to check stuff like this, I’m banking on the designers and the club just not noticing it - leaving it up to us VT posters/autists to spot the error! 😄

It’s distracting. I could probably play my (genuine) autism card and see if that makes them listen.

Edited by His Name Is Death

5 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Is it worth contacting the club about? Even with the software available to check stuff like this, I’m banking on the designers and the club just not noticing it - leaving it up to us VT posters/autists to spot the error! 😄

It’s distracting. I could probably play my (genuine) autism card and see if that makes them listen.

Accessibility is important! You could certainly reach out to Lee Preece or someone like that from the club and see what they say. Agree it's quite distracting alright

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

For those wondering...

spacer.png

It seems fine to me, you often get these tricks of the eye when dealing with text around a circular path. Our eyes naturally want everything to look even, but with characters and in this case numbers they don't take up the same horizontal and sometimes vertical space. When you throw in a slight tilt to accommodate the circular path, the numbers can look off even though they are not, the effect becomes less noticeable the more text you have.

Fair enough, and appreciate the geometric accuracy of what you've done above, but in situations like this, designers will usually adjust it optically so it 'looks' right to the eye. After all it's not much use having something that is technically correct but appears wrong to anyone who looks closely (be they our own fans, neutrals, etc).