New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

For those wondering...

spacer.png

It seems fine to me, you often get these tricks of the eye when dealing with text around a circular path. Our eyes naturally want everything to look even, but with characters and in this case numbers they don't take up the same horizontal and sometimes vertical space. When you throw in a slight tilt to accommodate the circular path, the numbers can look off even though they are not, the effect becomes less noticeable the more text you have.

Why do you think they didn't make the 1874 the same size as Aston Villa?

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

For all the debate, it’s pretty clear that the new badge/crest is an improvement on our current version. I think most of us will grow to like the new one over time. 

6AC7861E-8F69-4BE4-AA5A-4DE72D99EB48.png.a7cf1ae6f0d37eed84046cb77001c720.png

Would have preferred the other option, but man is the new badge waaaay better than the old. Especially side by side.

• Like 3

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

I would image just to set the visual hierarchy that 'Aston Villa' is more important than '1874', if they are the same size then 1874 would be slightly more of a distraction than you'd want. Size/boldness/colour can all be used in this way to make something stand out more or less.

Personally, I don't mind the 1874 all that much, without it the design would lose balance and become even more top heavy than it currently is.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

1874 isn't the focus. It's the same reason actors' names on a movie poster aren't the same size as the movie title. You want people to be able to read it, but the badge is for Aston Villa and while our founding year is important it's not as important as the words Aston Villa.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

Would have preferred the other option, but man is the new badge waaaay better than the old. Especially side by side.

Agreed.  I preferred the other design but both are a massive improvement on the previous version (which looks almost childlike in comparison).  I get the sentimental nod to the round badge (and yes I am unfortunately now a middle-aged man who remembers the 80s with sentimental affection) but the gaslight version was I think a bit more unique and different.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Despite it’s limitations, not sure I’m really getting the Chelsea comparisons. Their lion is more reminiscent of our ‘82 lion (although I know they had it prior to then). The lions look fairly different. Ours has a better hair cut now.

123042C3-419D-4CD3-9B6B-E2020AA7FFB9.thumb.jpeg.0d0726bacc442408a8c856250d2189d4.jpeg

Besides, presumably we could point to them having a lion as copying us in the first place?

Our Lion looks like an actual powerful lion in it's prime. 

Theirs looks like a ageing, skinny, starving lion looking over it's shoulder at the pack of Hyenas currently hunting it down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It was a utterly pointless poll as it is on season ticket holders who are overwhelming middle aged blokes who remember the early 80s. I have no idea why they limited the electorate to this size, as surely  the badge/crest is far broader in regards to branding on social media and international which is a much younger base.

Have you been to Villa Park because your assertion in the first sentence doesn’t reflect reality.  The crowd is very diverse from young to old, different races, religions and sex’s.  Given 75% of the crowd is season ticket holders I disagree with your assertion of who season ticket holders are plus it wasn’t just open to season ticket holders was it.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, allani said:

Because we are not called Aston Villa 1874 FC?

We used to be called Steven Gerrard’s Aston Villa. We’d never have fitted that in, which is what got Purslow on board with sacking him. That and the murderous look in Nas’s eye at Fulham. 

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

Theirs looks like a ageing, skinny, starving lion looking over it's shoulder at the pack of Hyenas currently hunting it down. 

They’ve got a pole dancing lion who’s party trick is to lick it’s own tail. Typical cockney whores. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah in a fight between those two lions - only one of them is ever going to win.

• Like 2

I hate the old badge, without our name, and all that yellow. Drawn by a child. The new one is claret and blue, lovely.

I also like that the lion face the other way. 

The lion itself is good, but maybe the lion from the 2000-2001 shield looked better, not as slim as the new one.

87964FF3-163A-49D7-B4D5-A92F37C5C2C2.gif