$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

People need to be patient otherwise it will be a long and gruelling summer. I am confident something will happen in terms of a new owner before the season starts. PL staying is good news as at least it means we are not stuck with no manager and no money. We can get some players in and the tranisition between owners/coaching staff will be easier.

Exactly. I think some are letting their hatred of Lambert cloud their rationality a little bit. As you said, being stuck with no manager or no money is the absolute worst scenario.

That's not a possible scenario though is it? Lerner isn't going to risk damaging his investment even more and there will always be a manager.

Out of the actual realistic scenarios Lerner and Lambert being here at the start of the season is the worst one.

You can't really rule anything out, including that.

Disagree. The worst one would be Lambert leaving and us forced to get in a new manager yet again who in all likelihood might not even be here for long either if a takeover happened next summer.

If Lambert walked we'd have massive problems convincing a new manager to sign on knowing that he could be sacked if a takeover happens in the next few weeks/months.

Out of the actual realistic scenarios Lerner and Lambert being here at the start of the season is the worst one.

I'll raise you Dunkin' Donuts and a poorly-chosen Lambert replacement.

"As far as I know...statement to se...agree to buy the club...dependent on looking at the club etc....funds transferred to a holding account...blah blah..."

That is his latest post. I don't really get if he is being serious or not though.

Couple of decent players and we'll have a much better season.

Just need a left back, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder and keep Benteke. Comfortably finish around 13th. 

• Like 1

Just need a left back, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder and keep Benteke. Comfortably finish around 13th. 

Thats exactly what we said last season :(

• Like 3

Money is there to spend.

I'd imagine if he does sign a player or two he will see out the season with or without new owners.

Otherwise it's a bit of a waste letting him spend money only for him to go later on down the line.

1. @dvtavfc similar to last two seasons, maybe a little less. Quality over quantity this time though

So thats about £20m then, bollocks all really. 2 players at most??? maybe another loan signing. If that info is correct then we are well and truely buggered, this squad needs 6 players minimum to be half competetive, 15 new players if it is to achieve anything :-(

You could argue we were very competitve last season. Just for the wrong things.

Seriously though we don't need 15 players - or 6. If he's got £20m to play with (assuming there is no buyer) a new starting CB and a creative midfielder bought, and a loanee LB should see us ok.

Id say we need to replace Lowton,Bennett,Luna,Bertrand,Baker,Sylla,Tonev,Bowery,Helenius,Hutton,Bent,Nzogbia and Given at least. They are either bomb squad or shite with the exception of Bertrand who wont stay. Allbrighton may leave too

If we wanted to be Top 6 I'd absolutely agree with you, but dumping 15 new faces into the team all at once is a shocking idea and never ever works. Look at QPR and Norwich for two recent examples. Its never going to happen and is a terrible idea, takeover or no.

Some of the names listed need more time to judge, Luna, Tonev and Bowery especially. I don't get the hatred for Bowery the OG aside I can't recall a game where he let the team or himself down, his major crime for most of the season was that he was more often than not, not the player the fans wanted to see subbed on.

Yeah I dont expect 15 new faces at once, I think we need about 5 players of some considerable quality in the summer, however who would wnat to sign for a club that has no direction and a manger surrounded by uncertainty???Also I dont think the funds are available. This is building up in to a colossal mess IMO

People need to be patient otherwise it will be a long and gruelling summer. I am confident something will happen in terms of a new owner before the season starts. PL staying is good news as at least it means we are not stuck with no manager and no money. We can get some players in and the tranisition between owners/coaching staff will be easier.

Exactly. I think some are letting their hatred of Lambert cloud their rationality a little bit. As you said, being stuck with no manager or no money is the absolute worst scenario.

That's not a possible scenario though is it? Lerner isn't going to risk damaging his investment even more and there will always be a manager.

You can't really rule anything out, including that.

Disagree. The worst one would be Lambert leaving and us forced to get in a new manager yet again who in all likelihood might not even be here for long either if a takeover happened next summer.

If Lambert walked we'd have massive problems convincing a new manager to sign on knowing that he could be sacked if a takeover happens in the next few weeks/months.

Exactly. We'd end up with someone worse than Lambert and with a squad that had been signed by a different manager. We really can't afford yet another transition season on so little investment.

I think we would struggle to attract players to the club with the long term future of the owner and manager open to question. I also think we may struggle to get players who are with us to sign new contracts for the same reason and because the club will not want to increase the wage bill too much pending a potential sale.

I suspect we will be looking to sell where we can and using any savings in wages or fees on bringing in the odd player on loan. I think money wise £5m - £10m might be the very most we will see being used in our current state of limbo over this transfer window. We need change and we need it now or we run the risk of looking back at last season as the good old days by this time next year or should I say the slightly better days? 

Okore and Kozak back too (N'zogbia  :rolleyes: ) ! Also hopeful progression of Grealish, Robinson and Carruthers!  :D

Thats exactly what we said last season :(

Problem is, we didn't go sign a couple of decent players, nor did we sign a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder, people like myself were crying out for it. We're so desperate for players who can play between the lines i'll be outraged if we don't get some this summer. Last summer instead of getting in a couple of key players, we got in loads of players who have hardly featured. I think Lambert has realised that's not the way to go judging by his constant comments about investment. 

Edited by PieFacE

Slow and steady progress is the way look at City the time they bought a hat full of players under Sven, they got hockied 8-1 by Boro. QPR is the other obvious example. We need to add to the squad, but can't rip it out. If Lerner is here for the majority of the window Lambert needs to be thinking about strengthening both the defence and midfield. I'd see one (preferably 2) CMs as being more of a priority than a CB assuming Okore makes a full recovery, also I think we'd struggle to offload both Clark & Baker. If we can get in a box to box midfielder that has a huge engine can play the ball, and tackle, and add a creative midfielder we'd be much stronger both going forward and at the back as a result. People calling for Lambert's head are insane, the club is in uncertain waters at the moment, the bomb squad aside, this is very much Lambert's team and we need a united front at this moment in time. I think the new managers would be mad not to give the man time with a budget. Hughes, Raineri, King Kenny, all got time from new owners, and ended up buying some very important players for the club, in the short time they got.

Edited by Folski

Okore and Kozak back too (N'zogbia  :rolleyes: ) ! Also hopeful progression of Grealish, Robinson and Carruthers!  :D

Nzogbia was training with the kids at the end of lat season, I doubt we will be seeing him ever again

I think there is a whole lot more wrong with this club than missing a couple of decent players to be fair!

This is what people seem to forget.

Okore will be back, perhaps Zog as well then Benteke after a few months.

We were one of the teams with the highest amount of injures, yet we were still meant to be steaming up the league. This is not an excuse for Lambert who was shite a lot of the time, its fact about the injuries.

Edited by VillaForever1970
  • Like 1

With Okore coming back and Vlaar/Clark/Baker still around, I'm actually not too fussed about another CB for the time being.

I still think the midfield is what needs work.  Bring in a creative midfielder alongside a destructive midfielder and we'll look stronger.  Depending on the amount of money being spent (let's assume £20m), I think we could pick up good players in both departments.

However, I also think Benteke has the potential to be our major problem; and a lot depends on when Kozak will be back too.  If we got 2 midfielders in, maybe we should switch up to 4-4-2 and play a narrow diamond with Gabby/Weimann as proper strikers? 

Dan Pallett ‏@Dan_Pallett 

BBC has learnt that Paul Lambert “will stay as manager for the time being - at least until the club is sold” #avfc #villa

(Same as Nursey and the other journo)

Appears Lambert is staying now, I think they will wind it in with Admin now as he stated Lambert had gone. Unless they ITK spin it as Culverhouse/Karsa as being gone and saucy wires were crossed.

Anyone ready to admit they're isn't a buyer? Lamberts not gonna have talks and stay for the sake of 2 weeks or so

He's been given money, and knows he's staying probably for at least another season

The takeover won't happen for at least another 6 months in my mind. Of course this will be labelled as nonsense as it's not what people want to hearIf couro

If we were able to sign the likes of Barry and Milner as they are released from City (which I know is a pipe dream at the moment but perhaps with the knowledge we'll be sold they might be swayed), we'd instantly be a much, much better side.

A fit Benteke and a strong central midfield pairing and we'd improve at least enough to keep us out of a relegation battle.

• Like 2

With Okore coming back and Vlaar/Clark/Baker still around, I'm actually not too fussed about another CB for the time being.

I still think the midfield is what needs work.  Bring in a creative midfielder alongside a destructive midfielder and we'll look stronger.  Depending on the amount of money being spent (let's assume £20m), I think we could pick up good players in both departments.

However, I also think Benteke has the potential to be our major problem; and a lot depends on when Kozak will be back too.  If we got 2 midfielders in, maybe we should switch up to 4-4-2 and play a narrow diamond with Gabby/Weimann as proper strikers? 

It the wages though as well, for instance you look at the plethora of midfielders at Spurs and think some could slot in nicely here (Sandro/Holtby) but are we willing on the wage front, I suppose would they come, perhaps not anyway! We also need to be smart with the loan system (look at evertons loanees last season, Lukaku, Barry and Deulofeu stand out players IMO) and maybe more experience un-contracted players