$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

A new owner doesn't necessarily mean a huge new investment.

I've seen people talking about whether we will be getting Klopp or Simeone as the new manager, which is staggering.  If you look at Fulham, Shahid Khan is worth over $4 billion, but the level of investment there has been minimal.

I do believe we'll be in the hands of a new owner, but I refuse to get my hopes up about the level of spend at this stage. 

I've seen people talking about whether we will be getting Klopp or Simeone as the new manager, which is staggering. If you look at Fulham, Shahid Khan is worth over $4 billion, but the level of investment there has been minimal.

I do believe we'll be in the hands of a new owner, but I refuse to get my hopes up about the level of spend at this stage.

Well there is that. Fulham fans thought it was the dawn of a new era and I'm sure they were saying/expecting similar things that are being said/expected on here. I don't think any of them thought they'd be staring relegation in the face a year down the line.

The question is this: why didn't Khan spend £100M+ on players to improve the playing squad when that money wouldn't make much of a dent in his own 4Bn fortune?

to be fair i think the klopp thing came from someone on the the bells are ringing forum and is mostly said as a joke. there is no guarantee of investment but the same people who said the takeover was happening seemed to belive that there will be a substantial one. personally i think we will see an investment, maybe not in the 250m region but if we can get an additional 20m a season, maybe a larger lump in the beggining, bit more to put on wages and if that money is spent wisely we should be looking pretty good after a year or two.

• Like 3

I've seen people talking about whether we will be getting Klopp or Simeone as the new manager, which is staggering. If you look at Fulham, Shahid Khan is worth over $4 billion, but the level of investment there has been minimal.

Well there is that. Fulham fans thought it was the dawn of a new era and I'm sure they were saying/expecting similar things that are being said/expected on here. I don't think any of them thought they'd be staring relegation in the face a year down the line.

The question is this: why didn't Khan spend £100M+ on players to improve the playing squad when that money wouldn't make much of a dent in his own 4Bn fortune?

Easy depends on his motives

when that takeover happened, matt law (telegraph London reporter) said khan had no intentions of pumping millions into the club, and was only there to make money from the tv deal

I think the main reason why anyone would buy Fulham for £190 million is the location.   Just taken purely as a prime location asset it would be very hard for a buyer to lose money on their investment - even if the club got relegated I'm sure the owner would get a good deal of their money back.

If we do go down I expect a Bullseye-esque "let's take a look at what you could've won" style announcement.

If we go down, it'll be the brand new car (a lovely Mini Metro with the hazard lights on).  If we stay up, it'll be the speedboat (useless to anybody living as far from the sea as Birmingham is).  Lambert and Lerner are the equivalent of the shit couple with a thicky for the quiz answerer, and a lady for the darts thrower.  BFH for Randy please.

Now, Paul and Randy, your 20 quid, thats's safe, so for 30 pounds, how do you spell AMBITION.

(Waits for Bully to come across the screen mooing as they run out of time whilst staring blankly at each other)

Edited by One For The Road

I'm not saying we won't spend big - just dampening my expectations in the hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

My personal opinion is that we will/should spend money to improve the first team - maybe 40-50m. Same again next season. I don't think this will be an al guns blazing spending spree, but careful and thought out. The club will also bring in people who know what they are doing.

IMHO of course...

I'm not saying we won't spend big - just dampening my expectations in the hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Same here. Until the identity of the new owner/s is revealed and a clearer understanding of their motives can be made, I'm trying to keep my expectations and excitement in check.

• Like 1

I'm also in the group of not setting my expectations too high & that anything over & above modest investment (which is the minimum required to stay in the division) will be an added bonus.

I love how all the doom & gloom merchants are moving from "it won't happen" to "better the devil you know" or "we're not guaranteed investment"

There has been reports of loud noises coming from around the Birmingham area as pennies have begun dropping that this IS happening.

I have to smile reading this thread. 'Getting ahead of ourselves' does not even begin to describe most of the posts on here.

I totally agree with the assumption that the club is for sale. I think it probably kicked off when that story surfaced a few months about a firm being appointed to look for a buyer and Faulkner could not deny it quick enough. Seemingly it hinges on us staying in the PL which worries me greatly as that is very far from guaranteed. It does make you wonder why RL did not spend a little in January to secure that better and probably why Lambert has not been given the push.

The truth is we have no idea who will buy the club or what plans they have. I hope and it's a reasonable hope that an incoming owner will be more committed to the development of the club. Let's also not forget the spectre of the FFP rules. IF a new owner is going to splash the cash he will need to do it in a very managed way if he wants European football.

My personal hope would be we got owners who brought in the right manager who then brought in 5-6 quality players and then developed from that base. Having said all that the Man City approach does look very appealing based on the disaster of the last four seasons coupled with our poverty stricken status.

• Like 1

If we do go down I expect a Bullseye-esque "let's take a look at what you could've won" style announcement.

If we go down, it'll be the brand new car (a lovely Mini Metro with the hazard lights on).  If we stay up, it'll be the speedboat (useless to anybody living as far from the sea as Birmingham is).  Lambert and Lerner are the equivalent of the shit couple with a thicky for the quiz answerer, and a lady for the darts thrower.  BFH for Randy please.

Now, Paul and Randy, your 20 quid, thats's safe, so for 30 pounds, how do you spell AMBITION.

(Waits for Bully to come across the screen mooing as they run out of time whilst staring blankly at each other)

MOOOOOO

• Like 1