$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Dmitri posted about 20 various crest designs on here back before the current one was released, and there were some absolute gems on there. 

Edited by maqroll

From memory the Lerner takeover dragged on throughout summer 2006 and wasn't actually completed until the September so it was a bit of a wasted season if exciting for what was to come...

Hopefully this can all be done by end of June so we can make a decision on the manager and get some exciting new players in.

He had to obtain a certain percentage of the shareholding before he could take full control. The acceptances required from the shareholders meant it took time.

This would be a private sale so should go through much quicker.

It's me guys, I'm buying the club. I had you all fooled.

So, will we get a new crest design?

The Telegraph article mentioned a "total rebranding", so let's hope so!

Did it? I don't remember seeing that, I'll have to go look

One beautiful side-effect of this might be that Benteke stays here for several years....

Yes this occurred to me and would be great news.

I think the Lerner statement is definitely heartening but years of disappointment are keeping me in the believe when I see it camp

• Like 1

Apparently this is blog post gives a link between Larry Ellison and the Lerner family I haven't read it or the linked article myself though.

I think that is far fetched to be honest and I think it would be difficult to put a direct link between Ellison and the Lerner family. That said, Ellison has tried to buy several NBA and NFL franchises in the past, he even took out a $4,000,000,000 credit line a few years ago with Oracle in case something came up that he'd like to buy.

We aren't quite the LA Lakers I know, but maybe he has decided to look abroad being as his previous sporting venture attempts in the USA have never came to fruition. Personally I think it is a long shot and I doubt he'd be interested, but it seems strange for his name to be popping up.

• Like 1

IF there is anything in this, I would presume that the huge process of doing due diligence is well started or maybe even finished to some degree. These guys are smart, and unlike Ellis I think Lerner has a much better idea on how to make this process go swiftly. The new guys would want the summer to get to know Villa and they need to hire a new manager and make sure that new players get their pre-season here or at least right after the World Cup.

Not getting my hopes up though, like I have said before, a new owner does not mean a stinking rich owner with lots of cash. Suddenly it's some half-assed millionaire with plans to interfere all he can possibly do.

Edit: Also, it's a bit strange that extremely wealthy people would look at Villa and not Newcastle or Everton. Newcastle have a huge fan base and they have a big stadium, they crave some spending and influx of cash. Villa are from a bigger city and I guess there is a lot of potential in there somewhere, but our global fan base is pretty small compared to other candidates.

Edited by Papillon

The way Mat Kendrick is eviscerating Lerner on his Twitter feed suggests to me that he knows Lerner is OUT. 

Considering he's been an unabashed Lerner apologist up until now says it all.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

Lerner will want this done as quickly as possible so that he can wash his hands of us. Like said above, due diligence has likely been done already, and there's a good chance that all we need now is to confirm our safety. If that happens, I wouldn't rule out an announcement within the week of the season ending, a press conference with the new owner before the world cup, and a new manager announced before the WC final with the signings starting in July (depending on how deep the  new owner's pockets are).

The wording of Lerner's comments are more like a job reference for Lambert and Faulkner, with Lerner accepting all the blame for the shackles placed on his staff

This is the most excited i've felt about Villa in a long long time. Hope i'm not getting carried away. 

Let's just hope the new owner doesn't rename us The Birmingham Lions

IF there is anything in this, I would presume that the huge process of doing due diligence is well started or maybe even finished to some degree. These guys are smart, and unlike Ellis I think Lerner has a much better idea on how to make this process go swiftly. The new guys would want the summer to get to know Villa and they need to hire a new manager and make sure that new players get their pre-season here or at least right after the World Cup.

Not getting my hopes up though, like I have said before, a new owner does not mean a stinking rich owner with lots of cash. Suddenly it's some half-assed millionaire with plans to interfere all he can possibly do.

Edit: Also, it's a bit strange that extremely wealthy people would look at Villa and not Newcastle or Everton. Newcastle have a huge fan base and they have a big stadium, they crave some spending and influx of cash. Villa are from a bigger city and I guess there is a lot of potential in there somewhere, but our global fan base is pretty small compared to other candidates.

People have mentioned it before but transport links between Birmingham and London (as well as the rest of the world) are continually improving. We're in the middle of the country, we're in the second biggest English city and we have an international airport too. I'd imagine expansion in terms of building and such would be a lot cheaper/easier than it would be in London as well.

There is also the fact that Lerner probably wants to sell, whereas the likes of Newcastle and Everton are not exactly up for sale. Our history and stature is good, we'll have a smallish wage budget compared to other teams when these last few cloggers move on in the summer (hopefully), we've taken on a fair few new sponsorship deals over the last couple of years as well.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

I first heard something back in January, the people I heard it from repeated the same claims - although with different details due to some changes - last month. I said a few months back I am 98% sure we will have new owners by June, I am now 100% confident.

• Like 3

I first heard something back in January, the people I heard it from repeated the same claims - although with different details due to some changes - last month. I said a few months back I am 98% sure we will have new owners by June, I am now 100% confident.

Well, surely 99.9% considering it sounds like it's dependent on us staying up. Yes, the chances are greater that we will, but you know what we're like in these situations. We don't seem to help ourselves much while other teams around us pick up crazy results like Sunderland did yesterday. I don't think I've ever wanted the end of the season to come sooner in my 28 years as a Villa fan. I don't know if we will be sold or not, but I just want some closure on this and the question regarding our Premier League status.

It's me guys, I'm buying the club. I had you all fooled.

So, will we get a new crest design?

The Telegraph article mentioned a "total rebranding", so let's hope so!

This is more about what they will do with the club 'worldwide' - we might have a new crest but I think the plans would be to make/take us more global.

This is the most excited i've felt about Villa in a long long time. Hope i'm not getting carried away. 

Let's just hope the new owner doesn't rename us The Birmingham Lions

wouldn't be allowed to. Hull Tigers has set a precedent surely?