$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

That's the point though. Who is this mythical "right person" and how does one evaluate the buyer's "rightness"? Most bad owners, like with Gillette and Hicks, (and Lerner) only noticeably become bad over time.

You can't but if Lerner is such a shit owner, how could we possibly get worse?

Gollivan, the Venkys, the criminal hairdresser, Vincent Tan, for a start.

They love the guy at Hull. They have agreed he can change the name as long as he stays.

No they didn't.

Did anyone else google Shunammite today?

That's the point though. Who is this mythical "right person" and how does one evaluate the buyer's "rightness"? Most bad owners, like with Gillette and Hicks, (and Lerner) only noticeably become bad over time.

You can't but if Lerner is such a shit owner, how could we possibly get worse?

Gollivan, the Venkys, the criminal hairdresser, Vincent Tan, for a start.

They love the guy at Hull. They have agreed he can change the name as long as he stays.

No they didn't.

Haha. Ok they probably didn't but they did say they want him to stay.

"The proper way" What does that even mean? You have to spend money to succeed these days.

No one's saying we don't need to spend money. I think the point is that we don't need the world's richest man to achieve success. With responsible and clever ownership we can achieve success organically with the infrastructure we have and not have to sell out and use our club's name as an advert for an airline company or whatever. 

Er no we can't. The only clubs to smash through the glass ceiling since 2000 have been Manchester City and Chelsea who have oddles of cash from suspect places and bought their way to the top.  We don't have enough support to grow the income, nor are we a London club which can charge 70 quid for tickets. Unless someone with deeper pockets than Randy takes over, at best we will forever be a mid table premier league outfit. At best.

It depends what your idea of success is. If you mean winning the league and getting to regular Champions League knock out stages then yes, I agree we would need someone to come in with unlimited money and sell the name of Aston Villa to an oil firm or whatever. But for me success for this club comes in different ways. I believe that with sensible ownership we can expand on the youth academy that we have, be a well run, competitive team that is able to win trophies every now and again, maybe go on the odd European journey and all in all just restore our pride as a great club, once we're established as a top team, who knows where we could push on. That would be success for me, not having the completely sell out and I believe we're not that far off what the infrastructure we have. I don't think it would require some of the world's richest people. 

I so want to agree with you; but I don't think it's possible to grow organically anymore.

Players aren't wired that way - if they can go to a club that pays more and is in the top 6 they will and the only way to keep them long enough to get into the top 6 is to either pay them massively or look like you're going to do it imminently - imminently is a couple of hundred million away.

Growing organically doesn't work.

Look at Southampton.

Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain - all gone before the age of of 18.

Lallana and Shaw - bids made for them within 24 hours of the season ending.

I don't see anybody taking Man City's best players.

• Like 3

I'm a guest. (Using the App. Cant find a way to log in with Facebook)

Keep refreshing. It's like deadline day! Except it could drag on months. And we might be involved.

• Like 1

I think Villa would be a great investment for Qatar Airways on so many levels. Location, colours etc.

Qataris are meant to be in the front running to buy sma. Don't know if they're meant to be mega rich or what though.

SMA?

I think Villa would be a great investment for Qatar Airways on so many levels. Location, colours etc.

Qataris are meant to be in the front running to buy sma. Don't know if they're meant to be mega rich or what though.

SMA?

Sorry I meant sha.

32m bid agreed between Chelsea and Atletico for Costa.....

No I don't want someone to pump half a billion into the club...... lol

Typical Chelsea bidding for someone before his season is over. Athletics and Costa still have 2 massive games in the next couple of weeks and could win some major honours.

Hope that we act with more class if we are bought out by someone with financial clout.

So right - Atletico and Dortmund are prime examples. Achieve any kind of success and the perennial big boys will strip the team apart.

I personally blame the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga. Before that, people had to wait an age for their tape sourced computer game to load - and then we'd play it anyway even if it was shit, mainly because they had waited a week for it to load. Commodore 64, Spectrum, Amstrad CPC 464...

Then the disc drive came along!

Bring in CD's and people had random access to all the tracks on an album. No longer did you have to listen to the whole thing, just play the tracks you know then **** the album off!

Fast forward to Play Stations and XBox, and no one has any patience for anything!!  

Instant gratification is all that matters. Damn kids!!

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 4

32m bid agreed between Chelsea and Atletico for Costa.....

No I don't want someone to pump half a billion into the club...... lol

Typical Chelsea bidding for someone before his season is over. Atletico and Costa still have 2 massive games in the next couple of weeks and could win some major honours.

Hope that we act with more class if we are bought out by someone with financial clout.

Balls. Bloody fat fingers.

Edited by jacketspuds

Growing organically doesn't work.

Look at Southampton.

Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain - all gone before the age of of 18.

Lallana and Shaw - bids made for them within 24 hours of the season ending.

I don't see anybody taking Man City's best players.

Never mind best players, players like Milner, Jovetic and Rodwell will probably still be there come next season. They'd walk into any other team, be the star player in anyone outside of the top 4.

So right - Atletico and Dortmund are prime examples. Achieve any kind of success and the perennial big boys will strip the team apart.

I personally blame the Atari ST. Before that, people had to wait an age for their tape sourced computer game to load - and they'd play it anyway even if it was shit, mainly because they had waited a week for it to load.

Bring in CD's and people had random access to all the tracks on an album. No long did you have to listen to the whole thing, just play the tracks you know then **** the album off!

Fast forward to Play Stations and XBox, and no one has any patience for anything!!  

Instant gratification is all that matters. Dan kids!!

Yeah, Atari ST was shit, Commodore's Amiga was superior! **** ATARI!

-regards, Amiga User.

:D

• Like 1

I personally blame the Atari ST. Before that, people had to wait an age for their tape sourced computer game to load - and they'd play it anyway even if it was shit, mainly because they had waited a week for it to load.

Bring in CD's and people had random access to all the tracks on an album. No long did you have to listen to the whole thing, just play the tracks you know then **** the album off!

Instant gratification is all that matters. Dan kids!!

Yep, plus they listen to any song they like on iTunes or Youtube instantly, rather than taping the charts on a Sunday night and trying to cut out the DJ.......

• Like 1

I think the statement today just confirmed what we already knew, that we had been primed for a takeover for the past 2 years. There is no way on earth that Lerner hasn't already been pimping out AVFC to potential suitors already.

Today just officially unveils it to us, however, I'm sure the process is further along than we're being led to believe just in case of any unforeseen problems. I would imagine a deal is in the works but it would be premature and foolish to rush in and bare all at this stage. Lerner is a private guy, and I imagine any future owner would be of a similar nature.

All the speculation from Pat Murphy and Sky Sports and co is just that... Speculation. They are none the wiser.

We all need to be patient and sit back and enjoy what lies ahead. Looking at the sale of the Browns it seemed to follow a similar pattern, officially stating the club was for sale, then a matter of weeks later it's done. Nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes so until all is revealed lets not jump to any conclusions.

I just can't wait to be able to not be there just making up the numbers anymore!

• Like 1