$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

The biggest clue that there is a buyer out there as we speak is pure economics. If a sale is not completed any time soon, the statement from Randy today quite simply means that any prolonged process will turn into a fire sale and Randy will achieve a lower price. That statement is a statement of a desperate seller unless the seller knows he has a deal more or less in place. So, to me he must be confident that he can complete a sale when putting that statement out.

I hope you are right. It makes sense, but I'm not holding my breath.

Does anybody know the timeline of the sale to Lerner? I can't remember. Was we put up for sale? I know there was more than one interested party and I'm sure it didn't last too long from start too finish. I believe that Lerner has been working on the sale for months and this statement is just a step closer to the announcement of a sale. You don't need a billboard outside the ground to let people know that we are for sale so it's inconceivable that we have only been on sale since 10am. As people have mentioned wording the statement the way it is would be detrimental to the price and who would do that?. Surely a I'm looking for a buyer but still 100% committed sort of statement would protect his investment more? Openly time will tell though.

It wasn't long.

But I beleive the other consortuims didn't have the finance in place - so although you say there were a number of interested parties - they was really only Lerner with any clout.

I fully expect the consortuims to start circling in the next few days - problem with them is they don't have the money - I think a couple of rival consortuims merged in the end....

Nicholas Padfield - Led a consorstuim (not credible Imo) last time.

On the contrary, It was actually quite a long time. Ellis effectively put the business up for sale in May 2006 when he said:

"..... if the right people come in and really want to take the club forward then I'll treat it very seriously."

The first registered interest by other parties iirc was June 2006, Lerner didn't come into the frame till mid-late June/early July and only reached agreement with Ellis on 14th August.

So it didn't happen very quickly at all. Not saying it won't this time and in theory it should be simpler as Lerner holds all the shares whereas back then Ellis only controlled around 40% (?)

Right now - Id jump at those timescales - Id be chuffed if we had new owners by Aug 14

I think the difference being Lerner has been getting us ready for a sale for some time Doug probably said that to call the fans bluff!! Hopefully because he's been getting us ready to sell we are further along than then!!

The biggest clue that there is a buyer out there as we speak is pure economics. If a sale is not completed any time soon, the statement from Randy today quite simply means that any prolonged process will turn into a fire sale and Randy will achieve a lower price. That statement is a statement of a desperate seller unless the seller knows he has a deal more or less in place. So, to me he must be confident that he can complete a sale when putting that statement out.

I hope you are right. It makes sense, but I'm not holding my breath.

What youre saying is Randy would loose money - and he wouldn't allow that to happen. Sadly I think he is in the business of cutting his losses - not covering them.

Also - Why would we be told a deal is "close", no matter how close it may be? This is not the Daily Mirror reporting, it's a proper club statement. From the owner no less.

Also, the rumours were that we were up for sale AND it depended on us staying in the league.

That very much indicates that a buyer was at least interested, but didn't want to buy us if we got relegated.

The first part of the rumour appears to be true. If it's all the same rumour, then to me it points towards a buyer being lined up.

All speculation. But I don't see why lerner would suddenly make a statement if things weren't at least part of the way towards a sale.

• Like 1

Peter Bell, the MD of ML/BoA, is in charge of the sale apparently.  Massive indication that we are in advanced negotiations to be sold.  

How'd'ya know thet mate?

I typed that like a BLADDY' OZZIE(!) would, just for fun :)

Peter Bell, the MD of ML/BoA, is in charge of the sale apparently.  Massive indication that we are in advanced negotiations to be sold.  

Isn't the role of those people to find buyers ? - rather than the close the deal - granted they do both - but I thought sourcing a buyer was what those guys were about ?

Also, season tickets.

This sort of leaves those who have already renewed in a somewhat precarious position - what about the "maybe" fans like myself - who will get a ST if we turn into the next Man City?

I'm a glory hunter, so what? :lol:

I'm not sure I'll buy until I know what the future of the club is, I bet others are in the same boat.

Not that ST holders hold much weight anymore - fans are pretty much unimportant these days to the running of a club. What - about £10-£20 million quid a season?

Good point, I think a good proportion of ST holders will wait to decide after the season we've had.

I'd be surpised if someone wasn't lined up for the sale. It's not like this has just been announced. There was an announcment about the announcement weeks ago and he hasn't been sat on his hands since then.

To be fair, that's probably mostly wishful thinking. I don't want to go through a summer of not knowing.

• Like 1

How'd'ya know thet mate?

It's only in the bladdy Evenin Stenderd, mate

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/in-brief-lerner-puts-aston-villa-on-the-market-lagarde-pressing-for-ecb-stimulus-lonmin-battered-by-worker-unrest-9356348.html

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has appointed Bank of America Merrill Lynch to sell the Premier League football club after eight years.

The sale will be handled by Peter Bell, one of BoA Merrill Lynch’s star investment bankers. The club, a founder member of the Football League, boasts the highest-ranked academy in the country and, in Villa Park, the UK’s seventh-biggest ground.

• Like 3

Has a premier league club ever been publicly for sale before?

I'm sure Al Fayed was trying to flog Fulham for ages. Turned out that when he found a buyer they got relegated anyway.

Anyone with any sense knows that was due to the curse of the Jackson Statue being torn down.

Maybe we should reserect it in the Villa tunnel to ward off relegation - a couple of kiddies can wheel him out at half time..

How'd'ya know thet mate?

It's only in the bladdy Evenin Stenderd, mate

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/in-brief-lerner-puts-aston-villa-on-the-market-lagarde-pressing-for-ecb-stimulus-lonmin-battered-by-worker-unrest-9356348.html

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has appointed Bank of America Merrill Lynch to sell the Premier League football club after eight years.

The sale will be handled by Peter Bell, one of BoA Merrill Lynch’s star investment bankers. The club, a founder member of the Football League, boasts the highest-ranked academy in the country and, in Villa Park, the UK’s seventh-biggest ground.

Thenks mate,

It's barby flippin' fun to speak loik an ozzie! :D