$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I take heart from the face that Doug Ellis had 5 potential suitors when Randy brought us. Therefore justifying my opinion that Villa are a far, far, far more attractive proposition than say the likes of Everton and West Brom who have been for sale for ages.

But remember the cost when Lerner brought us was £62m, he is now looking for £200m bit of a difference.

People keep saying that Everton are up for sale which is rubbish because as far as I am aware Kenwright has never appointed someone like BOA Merrill Lynch to find an owner? People just speculate that they need a new owner to be able to move grounds etc there is a big difference?

The Merrill Lynch - I think is a positive thing. I am not versed in high finance - but that to me says he is serious about selling - not just "If anyone wants to buy - Im open to offers - until then im the best youve got" 

Has a premier league club ever been publicly for sale before?

Yes - Aston Villa.

Brilliant, before today?

Liverpool ?

News of the sale was revealed by BBC reporter Pat Murphy, who said the likely asking price would be about £200m - which is £100m less than Lerner's estimated total investment in the club.

"This is the start of a process that will take some time," added Murphy.

"I understand no deal has been struck and that Paul Lambert is expected to fly out to the United States this week."

I take it from that - 1. Paul Lambert will still be in charge when the season starts

2. No / Little money will be spent this summer

Its not looking good - other teams will sack their managers soon - WBA have already - the pot to pick from will reduce the longer the sale takes, and I guess that goes for available players aswell. I'm just a little concerned about the contracts of the players we have not yet renewed - Albrighton being one, are there any others ? as surely until things have been finalised no player will sign a new contract knowing that the new man in charge doesn't fancy him! (as in footballing terms before any wise cracks are made)

I don't know anymore raver 8 of the 9 clubs accepted sanctions so they must think its legal I hope city win.

I hope man city fight uefa all the way with this. It wouldn't surprise me if the clubs accepting the sanctions realise they are likely to get screwed over worse due to their own malpractices and underhand dealing's. Clubs on mainland europe especially spain and italy are as corrupt as they come. I know this country is corrupt but it's far better regulated on the whole imo. Uefa just like fifa are scabby thieving bastards.

• Like 1

News of the sale was revealed by BBC reporter Pat Murphy, who said the likely asking price would be about £200m - which is £100m less than Lerner's estimated total investment in the club.

"I understand no deal has been struck and that Paul Lambert is expected to fly out to the United States this week."

I take it from that - 1. Paul Lambert will still be in charge when the season starts

Its not looking good - other teams will sack their managers soon - WBA have already - the pot to pick from will reduce the longer the sale takes, and I guess that goes for available players aswell. I'm just a little concerned about the contracts of the players we have not yet renewed - Albrighton being one, are there any others ? as surely until things have been finalised no player will sign a new contract knowing that the new man in charge doesn't fancy him! (as in footballing terms before any wise cracks are made)

Just because it has come from Murphy, it doesn't make it 100% correct.

Anyway. Back to speculating.

We'll go down next year I've no doubt. People who think Lerner is being clever and has a buyer, he appointed mcleish and has shown he is a terrible businessman. Anyone justifying things by saying Randy knows what he is doing is ridiculous. This statement read I want out so some one come and get it, not I'm a clever man with larry ellison about to sweep ín tomorrow, wait till I see those villa fans faces. The man hasn't a clue, doesn't have a buyer, didn't care about villa and wants rid ASAP. I'd say we are well and truly ****

• Like 2

We'll go down next year I've no doubt. People who think Lerner is being clever and has a buyer, he appointed mcleish and has shown he is a terrible businessman. Anyone justifying things by saying Randy knows what he is doing is ridiculous. This statement read I want out so some one come and get it, not I'm a clever man with larry ellison about to sweep ín tomorrow, wait till I see those villa fans faces. The man hasn't a clue, doesn't have a buyer, didn't care about villa and wants rid ASAP. I'd say we are well and truly ****

Bet you £100 we don't go down.

• Like 1

You would be foolish to buy AVFC if you don't have the summer to a) appoint a new manager and B) get some new bodies in.  You are buying a club that is destined to go down next season without those things in place. 

• Like 1

Bet you £100 we don't go down.

What have you heard Dodge?  ;)

• Like 1

Does anybody know the timeline of the sale to Lerner? I can't remember. Was we put up for sale? I know there was more than one interested party and I'm sure it didn't last too long from start too finish. I believe that Lerner has been working on the sale for months and this statement is just a step closer to the announcement of a sale. You don't need a billboard outside the ground to let people know that we are for sale so it's inconceivable that we have only been on sale since 10am. As people have mentioned wording the statement the way it is would be detrimental to the price and who would do that?. Surely a I'm looking for a buyer but still 100% committed sort of statement would protect his investment more? Openly time will tell though.

It wasn't long.

But I beleive the other consortuims didn't have the finance in place - so although you say there were a number of interested parties - they was really only Lerner with any clout.

I fully expect the consortuims to start circling in the next few days - problem with them is they don't have the money - I think a couple of rival consortuims merged in the end....

Nicholas Padfield - Led a consorstuim (not credible Imo) last time.

On the contrary, It was actually quite a long time. Ellis effectively put the business up for sale in May 2006 when he said:

"..... if the right people come in and really want to take the club forward then I'll treat it very seriously."

The first registered interest by other parties iirc was June 2006, Lerner didn't come into the frame till mid-late June/early July and only reached agreement with Ellis on 14th August.

So it didn't happen very quickly at all. Not saying it won't this time and in theory it should be simpler as Lerner holds all the shares whereas back then Ellis only controlled around 40% (?)

Murphy also said that ML had only been instructed today based on Lerner's statement, which can't have been true as when the statement was released I doubt Merrill Lynch were taking calls at that time.

Edited by limpid
  • Like 3

Aye, I commented on this in the Lambert thread - about him going to America. Why, (assuming that he is going to see Lerner,) would he have to go to America in person? Surely they wouldn't make him go all that way just to get the tin tack? Might as well just do it by Skype and save the club a few quid. I doubt it is to lay some foundations for the forthcoming US tour... Maybe he is meeting the 'new owner' to come up with a suitable, relegation avoidance strategy for next season and whatever else beyond that.

Could it be a long distance job interview? I just don't know. But it would stink to high heaven, whether you want him to stay or not... to make him go to America just to get the bullet. I like kinky sex, but that would be very cruel sadism indeed.

Does anybody know the timeline of the sale to Lerner? I can't remember. Was we put up for sale? I know there was more than one interested party and I'm sure it didn't last too long from start too finish. I believe that Lerner has been working on the sale for months and this statement is just a step closer to the announcement of a sale. You don't need a billboard outside the ground to let people know that we are for sale so it's inconceivable that we have only been on sale since 10am. As people have mentioned wording the statement the way it is would be detrimental to the price and who would do that?. Surely a I'm looking for a buyer but still 100% committed sort of statement would protect his investment more? Openly time will tell though.

It wasn't long.

But I beleive the other consortuims didn't have the finance in place - so although you say there were a number of interested parties - they was really only Lerner with any clout.

I fully expect the consortuims to start circling in the next few days - problem with them is they don't have the money - I think a couple of rival consortuims merged in the end....

Nicholas Padfield - Led a consorstuim (not credible Imo) last time.

On the contrary, It was actually quite a long time. Ellis effectively put the business up for sale in May 2006 when he said:

"..... if the right people come in and really want to take the club forward then I'll treat it very seriously."

The first registered interest by other parties iirc was June 2006, Lerner didn't come into the frame till mid-late June/early July and only reached agreement with Ellis on 14th August.

So it didn't happen very quickly at all. Not saying it won't this time and in theory it should be simpler as Lerner holds all the shares whereas back then Ellis only controlled around 40% (?)

Right now - Id jump at those timescales - Id be chuffed if we had new owners by Aug 14

Also, season tickets.

This sort of leaves those who have already renewed in a somewhat precarious position - what about the "maybe" fans like myself - who will get a ST if we turn into the next Man City?

I'm a glory hunter, so what? :lol:

I'm not sure I'll buy until I know what the future of the club is, I bet others are in the same boat.

Not that ST holders hold much weight anymore - fans are pretty much unimportant these days to the running of a club.  What - about £10-£20 million quid a season?