Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

If we aim to play something like Holland did in the World Cup, and i think this is the plan.

Ashley Young would be a good choice for the "Robben role" (obviously infinitely inferior to Robben, but still)

And no I don't think he'll come here or that we will spend that kind of money on a player untill we get new owners

I still can't forgive Yorke for joining ManU nor can I read any of the drivel he writes about Villa without my blood boiling.

I almost feel the same dislike for Young, not just for going to ManU a club that I despise but also for the dive against Clark.

If Young did resign (which I very much doubt) then it would depend on the effort he is willing to put in because at his best Young is a great player that we would be lucky to have.

Yorke went to Man United to win the CL, Young went to Man Utd to win the PL...and improve their salary, as anybody on this board would.

I hold no grudges to either of them, and would have had Yorke back and would definitely have Young back.

I cannot see it, due to his current salary but if Man United were to offer him to us on a cut price deal he would be an absolute top signings. The kid might be out of form but he is ten times the player of any of our current midfielders and wingers.

• Like 3

Not sure about Cambiasso or Ashley signing on for £50/60 k per week with no resale value.Would rather push the boat out and try and buy someone who MIGHT increase in value, someone like a Wijnaldum for about £10m, on the basis that he should/would increase in value over the next 2 or 3 years.

I might have taken a gamble on Bojan as well.

Next season we have Carruthers, GG, Grealish, Donacien and Robinson, who all look as if they have the potential to be reasonable players, we should base our purchases around nurturing these.

I would look to replace Westwood and Gabby from the 1st team, and then see what happens with the takeover, and the season, but spend what we have on replacing these 2.

If we aim to play something like Holland did in the World Cup, and i think this is the plan.

Ashley Young would be a good choice for the "Robben role" (obviously infinitely inferior to Robben, but still)

And no I don't think he'll come here or that we will spend that kind of money on a player untill we get new owners

We tried playing Young behind the striker (Robben role or number 10, call it what you will) and it never worked. And, that that was back when he was playing good football!

I am pretty confident in saying that Ashley Young a second time around would only be of 50-60% of the player we had first time around.

We tried playing Young behind the striker (Robben role or number 10, call it what you will) and it never worked. And, that that was back when he was playing good football!

I am pretty confident in saying that Ashley Young a second time around would only be of 50-60% of the player we had first time around.

I wasn't thinking of playing him in the role behind the striker, rather in a free role starting a bit more out wider on one of the flanks using his pace moving in.

Pretty sure Cole is meant to play in the nr10 role behind the striker

Edit: use him in a role that is a mix of what Robben does for Bayern and Holland

Edited by sne

Not sure about Cambiasso or Ashley signing on for £50/60 k per week with no resale value.Would rather push the boat out and try and buy someone who MIGHT increase in value, someone like a Wijnaldum for about £10m, on the basis that he should/would increase in value over the next 2 or 3 years.

I might have taken a gamble on Bojan as well.

Next season we have Carruthers, GG, Grealish, Donacien and Robinson, who all look as if they have the potential to be reasonable players, we should base our purchases around nurturing these.

I would look to replace Westwood and Gabby from the 1st team, and then see what happens with the takeover, and the season, but spend what we have on replacing these 2.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but I can't think of a better way of putting this, you're living in a dream world if you think the likes of Wijnaldum are even remotely realistic. It's as though you fell into a coma 4 years ago and just woke up.

We're in a kind of holding formation. The club is up for sale, we need to be canny operators in the market. I think both Young and Cambiasso (for example) on £50k a week would be reckless. But one or the other could make a real difference to next season and next season, right now, is all that really matters.

• Like 3

Can't believe people are questioning Ashley young . Amazballs .

He is about three levels above where we are right now is not some retiree looking for a last payday or failed journeyman and he has only just turned 29 .

There is no way he would come here but if he did it would be the best signing we have made in years

Well it's because there's a couple of bitter and twisted sorts on here who believe he is 'shit' because of a couple of dives he made against us. 

The fact is that he's several levels above Agbonlahor and Weimann and any other of our attacking options from midfield/on the flanks. 

Can't believe people are questioning Ashley young . Amazballs .

He is about three levels above where we are right now is not some retiree looking for a last payday or failed journeyman and he has only just turned 29 .

There is no way he would come here but if he did it would be the best signing we have made in years

Well it's because there's a couple of bitter and twisted sorts on here who believe he is 'shit' because of a couple of dives he made against us.

The fact is that he's several levels above Agbonlahor and Weimann and any other of our attacking options from midfield/on the flanks.

How about the opinion that the wages he would cost, would be better spent on someone else? Someone who hasn't had lots of injuries, dives a lot, goes missing in games and spent his last year at Villa overhitting crosses and shots. Would that be a valid opinion, or am I bitter and twisted too?
  • Like 2

Young was overrated here but for 18 great months. I was happy to get the money we did for him, which was far too much, and id not like him back unless he was going to take £25k a week. Even then I'd not really care all that much

• Like 2