Science Thread

Nigel

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

If we had a spaceship that could travel at the speed of light, it would take us 18 hours to get to Voyager 2.

I remember many years ago, they did a TV programme on the wonders of the world, and Stephen J Gould, the evolutionary biologist, chose 'deep time' and the absolute inability of humans to conceive it.

Cosmic distances are equally incomprehensible.

As someone once said, eternity is a very long time, especially when you are waiting for a VAR decision.

• Like 1

Vacuum-Sealed Container From 1972 Moon Landing Will Finally Be Opened

After 50 years, scientists will get a chance to study lunar gases collected during Apollo 17 mission.

Apollo mission planners were really smart. Recognizing that future scientists will have better tools and richer scientific insights, they refrained from opening a portion of the lunar samples returned from the historic Apollo missions. One of these sample containers, after sitting untouched for 50 years, is now set to be opened.

The sample in question was collected by Gene Cernan in 1972. The Apollo 17 astronaut was working in the Taurus-Littrow Valley when he hammered a 28-inch-long (70 cm) tube into the surface, which he did to collect samples of lunar soil and gas. The lower half of this canister was sealed while Cernan was still on the Moon. Back on Earth, the canister was placed in yet another vacuum chamber for good measure. Known as the 73001 Apollo sample container, it remains untouched to this very day.

Clicky for full gizmodo article

3 hours ago, Tegis said:

Good luck Mr. Telescope. Be as awesome as the plans hope

So far so good. Last look at the telescope.

29 days until arrival at Lagrange point 2.

tumblr_inline_owhrfh3REP1tzhl5u_540.gif

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The best laid plans of mice…AND men?

A non-hormonal male contraceptive pill is 99 per cent effective at preventing pregnancy in mice with no observed side effects. Human trials are being planned, but some researchers warn that safety concerns could yet prevent the drug from reaching the market.

Link

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Joe Biden releasing the first proper photo from the JWST tonight at (if I've got my timezones correct) 10pm.

This is ahead of the main release of initial images tomorrow.

Should be pretty spectacular.

• Like 2

Pretty incredible image. Loads of gravitationally lensed galaxies. All sorts of incredibly distant galaxies with some amazing looking spirals in there. Probably loads of other things I don't understand. Will definitely need experts to analyse and explain the finer details of it!

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tegis said:

The amount of distances between the objects in that picture :o

Bearing in mind it is focused on a patch of sky no bigger than a grain of sand held at arms length . It really is incredible.

The Drake equation just got a little Drakier.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Lots of those galaxies are long dead and long gone.

Then the contents may get swallowed up by collapsed stars and farted out elsewhere, to start all over again?

Could it be possible to see the same matter twice?

12 minutes ago, Xann said:

Then the contents may get swallowed up by collapsed stars and farted out elsewhere, to start all over again?

I guess, if the picture is from different times, depending how far back in the picture you look, then I’m saying yes, you could potentially be seeing the same matter twice?

But that might require that matter to have moved at faster than the speed of light? Maybe?

Good point though.

Just now, Xann said:

For sure . The universe is  a recycling toroidal field and nothing ever "dies" it just transforms.   The hydrogen in our atoms was created at the big bang and could have passed through millions of humans before it became part of you.

Â