Science Thread

Nigel

From the most advanced rover ever created by mankind, I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed by it's first photo 

7a80f391-85cc-4660-ae8b-2ff5b7386dba.png

Edited by sidcow

Just now, limpid said:

The vibration has no external cause it is a property of the field; like flavours are to quarks. But let us know how your research pans out :mrgreen:

The thing that sounded like gobbledegook to me learning that the quantum equations describing the behaviour of electrons can be solved to show that there is only one electron. In the whole of spacetime.

Well there's only one electron in Texas at the moment. 

Just now, sidcow said:

From the most advanced rover ever created by mankind, I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed by it's first photo 

7a80f391-85cc-4660-ae8b-2ff5b7386dba.png

Sent from Arizona using my Nokia 3210.

That is quite poor  really.

8 minutes ago, limpid said:

The vibration has no external cause it is a property of the field; like flavours are to quarks. But let us know how your research pans out :mrgreen:

The thing that sounded like gobbledegook to me learning that the quantum equations describing the behaviour of electrons can be solved to show that there is only one electron. In the whole of spacetime.

Yeah, exactly what I was going to post, thanks for saving me the trouble....🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, limpid said:

The vibration has no external cause it is a property of the field

If it is a property of the field, then I assume the field must be in some way unstable, or changing? So what is causing that change or instability? Everything I can think of that is unstable or changing is changed by another thing - whether it's the light from a Star, the Sun, an electrical or magnetic field, a flickering flame, a rusting metal, whatever...

educate me

4 hours ago, blandy said:

If it is a property of the field, then I assume the field must be in some way unstable, or changing? So what is causing that change or instability? Everything I can think of that is unstable or changing is changed by another thing - whether it's the light from a Star, the Sun, an electrical or magnetic field, a flickering flame, a rusting metal, whatever...

educate me

The field changes through interaction with the field.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Other parts of itself.

How can a fundamental element (not chemical element, just element) have different parts , yet still be the "one" thing? As in "an atom is the one thing" - well actually there are electrons, protons, nucleus,... quarks - so they are each actually things, and the atom is not, the atom is a collection of smaller things.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

How can a fundamental element (not chemical element, just element) have different parts , yet still be the "one" thing? As in "an atom is the one thing" - well actually there are electrons, protons, nucleus,... quarks - so they are each actually things, and the atom is not, the atom is a collection of smaller things.

I don't really understand what you are asking so I suspect we are at difference of definitions.

The field has attributes. Like quarks have attributes. One of the attributes of the field is called vibration. It doesn't means vibration like a string vibrates (in a medium), it doesn't mean vibration like resonant frequencies, it just means that they are oscillating between "states" (I can't remember the name off hand but like super positions). Like quarks don't actually have charm - it's simply a name.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Is that noise added ?  

Mars sounds like a Beta Band jam session !

Yeah it's fake. It's a panned panorama from a previous rover with noise from some other mission added. There is no video from Percy yet. This is clearly fake as you can see tracks in the distance and Percy hasn't gone anywhere yet.

Edit: I say fake - it isn't fake as such, it is from Mars, it just isn't from the new rover.

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah it's fake. It's a panned panorama from a previous rover with noise from some other mission added. There is no video from Percy yet. This is clearly fake as you can see tracks in the distance and Percy hasn't gone anywhere yet.

Edit: I say fake - it isn't fake as such, it is from Mars, it just isn't from the new rover.

I was wondering as I've been on the NASA website for Perseverance and there doesn't seem to be much on it other than what we saw yesterday. 

If that's the standard of footage we can expect (or indeed better) it's going to be quite a site. 

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was wondering as I've been on the NASA website for Perseverance and there doesn't seem to be much on it other than what we saw yesterday. 

If that's the standard of footage we can expect (or indeed better) it's going to be quite a site. 

I think we're going to be amazed at what we see. The picture of the rover dangling under the sky crane is actually part of a movie of the landing, it's just taking time to get it all sent back home. And the main rover cameras are supposedly very good, but haven't been deployed yet.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes back!

Â