Science Thread

Nigel

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

Matching alcohol ingestion with water, even if it means getting up two or three times through the night for more water and bog trips, has meant I've not had a debilitating hangover for years.

I avoid wine too, it doesn't like company.

After a night on the sauce I have 4 x 500ml bottles of water by the bed and drink them all throughout the night , to aid quality of sleep I have invested in a piss pot and screw lid and keep it close thus eliminating the need to fully awaken and go to the bog. Works a treat 

Used to get screaming thumping headaches in the middle of the night before and would combat with loads of ice cold milk and ibuprofen then putting my head back on the pillow with my thirst satiated and drift off as the pounding diminished   

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So the first UK Satellite launch ends in failure. Didn't see that coming. It's Beagle 2 all over again. 

It was always likely to fail first time. Space is hard. As long as funding isn't pulled they'll get it right eventually.

9 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It was always likely to fail first time. Space is hard. As long as funding isn't pulled they'll get it right eventually.

Not really. Launches like this are old hat and it is a significant blow to Virgin and the Cornwall launch port. They'll be grounded for a while and the competition in this ermmm - space - is intense.

Your shadow is confirmation that light has traveled nearly 93 million miles, unobstructed, only to be deprived of reaching the ground in the last few feet thanks to you. You bastard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks to the work of squirrels, researchers in Siberia were able to grow viable Silene stenophylla plants from 32,000-year-old seeds. This incredible event, which happened in 2012, is still having a dramatic event on the scientific community and now Austrian researchers are trying to sequence the plant's DNA to find out how it was able to survive so long.

The story starts over 10 years ago, when a team of Russian, Hungarian, and American scientists recovered the frozen seeds in 2007. They were buried 125 feet underground, deep in the Siberian permafrost. The team was investigating the burrows of ancient squirrels when they made the discovery. Fruit and seeds had been perfectly sealed from the elements thanks to the squirrels' burrowing techniques.

“The squirrels dug the frozen ground to build their burrows, which are about the size of a soccer ball, putting in hay first and then animal fur for a perfect storage chamber,” shared Stanislav Gubin, one of the researchers who explored the burrows. “It's a natural cryobank.”

Five years after first finding the seeds, scientists were able to extract tissue from immature fruit and grow a Silene stenophylla. The resulting plants bloomed flowers and were fertile, according to a study published by the researchers. Interestingly, these ancient plants looked strikingly similar to the modern version that still grows in Siberia today.

Now, researchers in Austria are taking things a step further by investigating the DNA of these prehistoric plants. They're looking to map the genomes of the plants and sequence their DNA to see just how the plants were able to survive. As the Russian permafrost is now thawing, they're also able to investigate the environment further to see what factors helped the seeds stay viable.

Specifically, they're looking for adaptations to very hot, dry, or wet conditions that might help them see how other plants could protect themselves against climate change. “I think mankind needs to be thankful for every piece of knowledge that we are able to create to protect our croplands,” says Professor Margit Laimer, a plant biotechnologist at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences in Vienna.

Modern Met

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Your shadow is confirmation that light has traveled nearly 93 million miles, unobstructed, only to be deprived of reaching the ground in the last few feet thanks to you. You bastard. 

Party at your gaff!

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2022 at 07:49, mjmooney said:

Nothing can cure a hangover except time. 

Drinking water with an electrolyte powder dissolved in it prior to going to bed helps a lot. Dioralyte or something like that. 

Edited by villa89

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Â