Science Thread

Nigel

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Yep ... thanks ... a much better visualization, I thought.

Note how the description of what we see as gravity does not involve any quantum phenomena. This of course is likely to change at some point in time. 

Now of course whether the future descriptions of gravity will involve quantum mechanics, a variation of Bohmian mechanics or something completely different is a question; I don't know I will see an answer in my lifetime. But we do know there is something not quite right with our standard model and something has to give.

Again thanks

• Thanks 1

Just now, fruitvilla said:

Note how the description of what we see as gravity does not involve any quantum phenomena. 

I have noted that YOU see that.😀

All I see is one quantum phenomena playing an interesting song. (The field is quantum)

It is a nice visualisation though and is pretty much how I imagined it internally .  Before seeing their graphics I used to imagine the old elastic sheet and marbles but rotating around the  3 dimensional directions.  Same outcome but I like this visual a lot more.    It's a decent channel for people like me who can understand visual aids easier than listening to an old git in front of a chalkboard.

This is a good one too and touches upon things like charge conservation and what not.

12 hours ago, sne said:

Another SpaceX SN10-spacecraft up in flames 

twas funny how the held off on saying anything after the landing for a few mins, the started congratulating themselves, ended the live feed and almost straight away kaboom.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe just as well, it all sounds a bit too much like the start of a sci-fi apocalypse story anyway. It's pretty much the plot from Snowpiercer.

Sweden rejects pioneering solar geoengineering test

Under pressure from indigenous people and environmental groups, Sweden’s space agency on Wednesday called off a landmark first test of technology that aims to slow global warming by dimming sunlight reaching Earth.

The Swedish Space Corporation said it had decided not to conduct the technical test, which uses a high-altitude balloon, that was planned for June near the Arctic circle town of Kiruna by Harvard University researchers.

The SCoPEx project test would have involved releasing a tiny amount of reflective material 20 km (12 miles) into the atmosphere, to help researchers better understand how such “solar geoengineering” might help cool the planet.

Such technology mimics the cooling effect of volcanic eruptions and could reduce global temperatures - though its potential risks are unclear and it would not address other climate-change-related threats, such as ocean acidification.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-geoengineering-sweden-idUSKBN2BN35X

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How about this previously undiscovered force of nature then, eh? 

So Sith Lord Phillip dies shortly after a major anomaly is detected in the Force , whilst a clone army is assembled.

I'm pretty sure we are living in "The Onion" timeline now.

• Like 1

Â