Science Thread

Nigel

12 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

For sure . The universe is  a recycling toroidal field and nothing ever "dies" it just transforms.   The hydrogen in our atoms was created at the big bang and could have passed through millions of humans before it became part of you.

Heh, steady. It's still a guess :)

We think we've got an in pipe, is there an out pipe?

Could there be some process inbetween?

Do we even have the potential to fundamentally understand what's going on?

Spoiler

1935878172_Screenshot2022-07-12at16_42_04.thumb.jpg.8af8e991fe03d640264785d53e189a43.jpg

Just now, Xann said:

Heh, steady. It's still a guess :)

We think we've got an in pipe, is there an out pipe?

Could there be some process inbetween?

Do we even have the potential to fundamentally understand what's going on?

Reveal hidden contents

1935878172_Screenshot2022-07-12at16_42_04.thumb.jpg.8af8e991fe03d640264785d53e189a43.jpg

Kinda revealing that the two singularities we cant explain are polar opposites of each other isn't it.  Big bangs breathe out , Blackholes breathe in.  Everything from the micro to the macro is cyclical and fractally repeating as I'm sure a man with your avatar is well aware.   

As for us having the potential to understand it all ?  I think so yes as in a few thousand years our descendants will view us as a tiny notch above cavemen. Also eternity is quite long.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Kinda revealing that the two singularities we cant explain are polar opposites of each other isn't it.

Foundation and Second Foundation. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

But that might require that matter to have moved at faster than the speed of light? Maybe?

Or space expanding at faster than the speed of light. The universe grew to around 600m light years in the first 17 seconds.

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

For sure . The universe is  a recycling toroidal field and nothing ever "dies" it just transforms.   The hydrogen in our atoms was created at the big bang and could have passed through millions of humans before it became part of you.

Sort of. Almost all hydrogen was created in the baryonic epoch up until the universe was 17 seconds old. After this the universe was too cold for fusion to continue to form atoms.

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Then the contents may get swallowed up by collapsed stars and farted out elsewhere, to start all over again?

Could it be possible to see the same matter twice?

The universe is optimised to form black holes. These are not holes and they do not "fart" anything out but Hawking radiation, by which they dissipate as energy until the heat death of the universe.

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Kinda revealing that the two singularities we cant explain are polar opposites of each other isn't it.  Big bangs breathe out , Blackholes breathe in.  Everything from the micro to the macro is cyclical and fractally repeating as I'm sure a man with your avatar is well aware.   

The big bang didn't create anything. It is the misnomer given to the expansion phase of the early universe. The universe already existed before it took place. 

• Like 1

Just now, limpid said:

Sort of. Almost all hydrogen was created in the baryonic epoch up until the universe was 17 seconds old. After this the universe was too cold for fusion to continue to form atoms.

The universe is optimised to form black holes. These are not holes and they do not "fart" anything out but Hawking radiation, by which they dissipate as energy until the heat death of the universe.

The big bang didn't create anything. It is the misnomer given to the expansion phase of the early universe. The universe already existed before it took place. 

I didn't think that 17 seconds made any difference to my point in that hydrogen is as old as this current cycle and is recycled over and over.

I know black holes don't fart things out , if anything I said they breathe in (metaphorically).   Nobody is sure about what happens in the centre but plenty of great scientists think the information is preserved somehow.  Leonard Susskind springs to mind straight away.        

I agree the big bang didn't create anything either .  I have been banging the infinitely cyclical drum for trillions of years now.    I agree with everything you said more or less except I think there will be more developments in black hole theory as science continues to update.

• Like 1

Reading through the start of this thread I didn't notice its age at first and my suspicion wasn't raised after seeing that there was predictions of fusion ignition being less than two years away.

Turns out the thread is 8 years old and fusion ignition is just going to be perpetually two years away for ever. :lol: Kind of disheartening.

2 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Turns out the thread is 8 years old and fusion ignition is just going to be perpetually two years away for ever. 

'I'm confident within the next 3 to 4 years we will have a fully functioning fusion reactor which will eventually resolve mankinds energy needs' said every fusion scientist ever. 

Edited by villa89

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

'I'm confident within the next 3 to 4 years we will have a fully functioning fusion reactor which will eventually resolve mankinds energy needs' said every fusion scientist ever. 

Obadiah Stane Tony Stark Was Able To Build This In A Cave With A Box Of

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The more we see and learn, the more impressive God’s further revealed plan becomes.

They spent 10 billion years watching billions of galaxies rise and fall before they even got around to our star system . Then there's another 3 billion years or so of faffing about with millions of now extinct lifeforms  before we rock up.   

Doesn't seem like much of a plan but more of an hourly rate scam from a cowboy builder.    Zeus would have knocked it out in a week.😀

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Xann said:

Then the contents may get swallowed up by collapsed stars and farted out elsewhere, to start all over again?

Could it be possible to see the same matter twice?

ITV4, Dave.

Oh, and seeing galaxies merge, kind of, is pretty wow.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2022 at 16:02, Brumerican said:

The hydrogen in our atoms was created at the big bang and could have passed through millions of humans before it became part of you.

As someone who lives with a very flatulent 4 year old, I can guarantee that there's plenty of hydrogen that has passed through other people before reaching me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

If you thought the JWT images were impressive then have a look at my photo of last night's super moon.

The level of detail is incredible.

May be an image of nature and sky

did you take it with a DynaTAC 8000x?

• Haha 1

Â