• Good
    • Very Good
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

Norwich fans were singing "empty seats m'lord" sounds odd to have that once zinged back at you

Yep, especially when the team singing it can't sell out 3,000 seats.
True . I found their support very bizarre
decent turn out by norwich I thought.

606 host Ian WrightAston Villa 4-1 Norwich

"Wes Hoolahan was linked with Villa a few weeks ago, so didn't celebrate scoring out of respect to the Villa fans? What an egg.

:D

If a player doesn't celebrate scoring a goal, you have to question his overall desire to play the game.

Cross him off the list.

Norwich fans were singing "empty seats m'lord" sounds odd to have that once zinged back at you

Yep, I always admire supporters who will drag hundreds of miles through crap weather on a late Sunday afternoon for a game that is on telly.

It wasn't them who couldn't sell 3000 seats, because each one of them did their bit.

Great away support, Norwich. It's not only the lads who go away, whole families do, and the old 'uns.

They are a smashing club, and I genuinely hope that they stay up.

• Like 1

Think Hoolahan will be coming in the summer. First half he demonstrated what he can bring to the squad.

I think for the entire game he demonstrated what he can bring for us, cleared so many of their chances into the stands for us and certainly took a few dodgy set pieces accidentally on purpose.

Definitely agree with both points. I picked on on the absence of a celebration and the irony of who had scored.

Yep, I always admire supporters who will drag hundreds of miles through crap weather on a late Sunday afternoon for a game that is on telly.

It wasn't them who couldn't sell 3000 seats, because each one of them did their bit.

Great away support, Norwich. It's not only the lads who go away, whole families do, and the old 'uns.

They are a smashing club, and I genuinely hope that they stay up.

well supported club home and away are norwich. They have more season ticket holders than us, definately a proper family club. Must admit I would not miss them if they went down though

didn't catch the full game yesterday, but man I'm glad they won it and convincingly so. hopefully this should boost the confidence that has been dire as of the last 4 games so we'll not cave in completely against the tougher teams we have coming up. Judging by the comments on here we were actually playing football again. Here's to hoping that continues. great to be a villa fan today!

Wasn't the weather utterly fantastic?

From my vantage point on the front row of the lower North I experienced it in all its glory. Again.

REALLY enjoyed seeing FOUR goals at our end of the ground - it's been a pretty barren season down at the North Stand end for Villa goals. And we scored FROM A **** CORNER!

Not sure about the reasoning but I can never understand subbing a player who's on a hat trick. I'd have been fuming if I was Benteke.

All in all a great and much needed win after a really shit start.

• Like 2

Funny story at half time...the subs were kicking a ball about and one of them rolled to the hoardings by us.

One of the lads with us went and grabbed it...as the Norwich sub came over with arms outstretched my pal dropped it to the floor and said "fetch it you word removed" :)

Said player then went back to one of the coaches and grassed us! The coach then took aim from about 50 yards and sent a shot straight at us! My mate ducked and I pushed the ball over our heads...great shot!

naturally they both got dogs abuse off us and moved away to ponce about in front of the dug out!

• Like 2

Fabulous and much needed win - and in a lot of places during the game, excellent team work. Just what we have been crying out to see.

There was the expected 'here we go again' moment when Norwich netted early doors (the BBC reporter 'Aimee Whatshername' proclaimed that there were boos - was that so? Grumbles for certain... I shrugged with apathy). No celebration from Hoolahan getting the old Sherlock emoticon buzzing... :detect:

And Ian Wright calling Wes an 'egg?' What does that even mean? The only reference I am aware of is the rhyming slang 'egg and sp**n,' which coming from Ian Wright would be most bizarre and contradictory I would think. Anyway, back to the game...

Very sluggish from us - but genius in the shape of Benteke mesmerised us back to parity. Lambert called it 'World Class.' For once, I agree. Quickly, Big Chris nodded us powerfully into the lead - even Pardew would have been happy with that header.

Suddenly, it seemed Villa caught fire and Norwich had no fire blankets to cater for it. Very nice interplay through the team for a mesmeric curling finish from Bacuna... Back of the net... lovely stuff... cash back... kiss my face etc... :-)

2nd half seemed a bit stale - but 3 valuable points, a decent home performance and some great goals. That's what going down the Villa should be about. Now... more of the same please Paul.

MOTM - Benteke (makes a pleasant change from voting for Guzan)

Tactics - average (for the sluggish start again)

Referee - Good (2nd half it wasn't hand ball, and gave Tettey the benefit of the doubt for his yellow card. He obviously didn't see it clearly. Could easily have booked Vlaar for a high boot earlier in the half).

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

I really liked our third goal - what made it unusual was that every player involved made the right choice - KEA stopped and picked a pass to Gabby rather than hoofing a clearance - Gabby turned and got people into a foot race before releasing the ball at the right moment - Weimann resisted the temptation to take it on and try and score and found Bacuna. Bacuna didn't hit it first time, but took it inside and opened up the goal. Four good decisions in a row, plus the technical ability to carry them out, I think that's a bit special.

Agreed.

And I love Bacuna's anticipation for that goal.

He must have decided very early that he was going to take it onto his left because that was a very deliberate first touch inside.

And obviously the right decision.

Very valuable 3 points. This was a must-win game, and to do so in a decent fashion will do wonders for confidence. I really thought we'd go for more goals, just to rub salt into Norwich's wounds and twist the knife further, but I'm not surprised we took it easy in the second half. Good to see Benteke scoring again, another nice Bacuna goal (seems to be a right steal, 5 goals this season from a midfielder turned RB is pretty awesome, considering what we paid), and to finally get past the 30 point mark is very handy indeed. Let's hope that we can carry this on until the end of the season.

I don't think this win papers over the cracks, it took some monumental solo brilliance from Benteke to turn things round, 

Never a truer word spoken.

but hey a great win and a precious win

As much as we were all pissed off with their goal.....our crowd did turn on the team a bit and I seen the players wobble, what bit of confidence they did have evaporated, to a worrying state. I think if Benteke had not got that wonder goal that lifted the whole stadium ( it was world class) the scoreline, could have been reversed.

If ever there was a time to get behind the team, it was after they scored.....not having a go at the fans in the Holte its hard to be having 3 wins all season and going a goal behind to Norwich, but i just seen our play faulter even more.

• Like 1

I've just checked and they have around 22k season ticket holders which is their maximum they can have. Their season tickets cost a bit more than ours also, with adults ranging from 540 to over 600 quid. So they probably have around the same as us.

Â