Sol Campbell

Avfc96

The way I remember it, Shearer was the established captain until he packed it in after Euro 2000, there was then a couple of stop gaps until Beckham was made captain later on that year by Peter Taylor.

So there was no room for Campbell, Shearer was already there and then Beckham made a whole lot of sense from an economic/marketing stand point.

Campbell's comments will rightly backfire as the comments of a deluded man who is crudely playing the race card, also, it's no coincidence he has a book out soon, so he was probably advised to make a controversial statement ahead of its launch, because really, who the hell would be interested in reading his autobiography?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Nothing to do with race. Does he really think he should have been made captain ahead of possibly the most famous footballer of all time? (I'm talking global appeal not success/talent when i make that claim by the way before anyone jumps on it). Beckham was always going to be England captain.

in the independent - 

Sol Campbell, one of England’s best footballers of recent times, seems to be intensely private, thoughtful and complex.  He retired in 2012.  Now the tall, black man with intense eyes has spoken up, opened up.

Racism, he feels, stalked him when playing the purportedly ‘beautiful game’. Some barbaric fans shouted monkey noises and racist abuse every time he touched the ball; unsurprisingly (though unforgivably) he says his team-mates, coaches, managers and sportswriters didn’t mind or care about the ritual humiliation. Why would they? It wasn’t happening to them.

Black and Asian players are “sissies” if they can’t take a bit of banter. Fellow-players threw in some homophobic teasing. Sol didn’t join in with sexist, lewd repartee and so to them that meant he must have been gay. The ex-footballer also claims that he didn’t get to be the England captain because he wasn’t white. Lord Triesman, FA chairman from 2008 to 2011, admits that had this talented man been white, he “would have captained England on more occasions”. To Triesman, man of the establishment, this is not conscious racism, just how things happen.

You see the problem? Today, even in-your-face racism is now not racism. Sol has broken a big taboo. People of colour must move on and ignore the slurs, accept their lot, not make a fuss, be nice and quiet. Most now do just that. Which is why racism is rising and toxic again, much more so than in the 1990s.

The hostility to immigration is one reason. Of course politicians of all parties, guided by Nigel Farage, insist that to relentlessly malign “bloody foreigners” is not to be racist. It bloody is. They don’t go on about American or Aussie migrants do they? Diversity priorities have not helped. Gay people and women are at least heard when they speak up about injustices. Race inequality has fallen off the agenda and no one is bending down to retrieve it. Among minorities, a sense of powerlessness grows, and with it suppressed rage.  

As if that wasn’t bad enough, those who speak up against bigotry are penalised, insulted, trolled. Welcome to the fold Sol. We need your voice. And don’t let the bastards get you down.

not sure what lord triesman is thinking with his comments, and taking the idiot spurs fans out of it because they gave him dogs abuse that no one else di,  i think the gay thing was bigger than the racist thing with sol campbell, i've never heard him racially abused but i can remember him getting tons of stick about supposedly being gay

It is a touchy one, but Sol is delusional if he thinks he got dogs abuse from Spurs fans because of the colour of his skin, it's because he chose to leave them on a Bosman to join the one club in the world they would never forgive him for.  It's easy to forget almost 15 years on that Campbell could have joined any club he wanted when his contract ran out at White Hart Lane, every major club was interested and it's even easier to forget that fans took it personally if you left for free.  

Arsenal fans didn't help either, they used Campbell's name to taunt Spurs and make sure the animosity never ended. 

• Like 1

Sad that he has to demean himself and cast aspersions on the FA. He had a stellar career, and while I'm sure he's had to deal with the monkey chants and the banana peels like almost every other black footballer in Europe, claiming institutional racism without actual evidence to support the claim is irresponsible at best.

Sol Campbell, one of England’s best footballers of recent times, seems to be intensely private, thoughtful and complex.  He retired in 2012.  Now the tall, black man with intense eyes has spoken up, opened up.

Racism, he feels, stalked him when playing the purportedly ‘beautiful game’. Some barbaric fans shouted monkey noises and racist abuse every time he touched the ball; unsurprisingly (though unforgivably) he says his team-mates, coaches, managers and sportswriters didn’t mind or care about the ritual humiliation. Why would they? It wasn’t happening to them.

Black and Asian players are “sissies” if they can’t take a bit of banter. Fellow-players threw in some homophobic teasing. Sol didn’t join in with sexist, lewd repartee and so to them that meant he must have been gay. The ex-footballer also claims that he didn’t get to be the England captain because he wasn’t white. Lord Triesman, FA chairman from 2008 to 2011, admits that had this talented man been white, he “would have captained England on more occasions”. To Triesman, man of the establishment, this is not conscious racism, just how things happen.

You see the problem? Today, even in-your-face racism is now not racism. Sol has broken a big taboo. People of colour must move on and ignore the slurs, accept their lot, not make a fuss, be nice and quiet. Most now do just that. Which is why racism is rising and toxic again, much more so than in the 1990s.

The hostility to immigration is one reason. Of course politicians of all parties, guided by Nigel Farage, insist that to relentlessly malign “bloody foreigners” is not to be racist. It bloody is. They don’t go on about American or Aussie migrants do they? Diversity priorities have not helped. Gay people and women are at least heard when they speak up about injustices. Race inequality has fallen off the agenda and no one is bending down to retrieve it. Among minorities, a sense of powerlessness grows, and with it suppressed rage.  

As if that wasn’t bad enough, those who speak up against bigotry are penalised, insulted, trolled. Welcome to the fold Sol. We need your voice. And don’t let the bastards get you down.

Am I missing the sarcasm or is this serious?

Am I missing the sarcasm or is this serious?

serious! yasmin alibhai brown, writes for the independent, bit of a lefty by the looks of it, think shes an advisor for the foreign office too, she comes across like one of those people who is close to being anit-white but at the same time manages to suggest that shes not racist, anyone who questions her is

and i shoot him down a lot, especially when it comes to talking about being hard done by due to his race, but fair play to paul ince - 

Paul Ince has rejected Sol Campbell's claim that he would have been England captain 'for 10 years' if he had been white.

Ince, the first black man to wear the armband for England, is the latest figure to argue against the views expressed by Campbell in a new autobiography serialised in the Sunday Times.

Campbell was capped 73 times but skippered the side only three times.

However, Ince pointed to the long list of England captains, arguing that most had to make do with relatively short stints in the job.

"There's been me, (Tony) Adams, (Stuart) Pearce, (David) Seaman, (Alan) Shearer, (John) Terry, (Rio) Ferdinand... that's a lot of big names with a lot of big egos," Ince told the Daily Mail.

"Sol's a clever, articulate man and he's a friend of mine but he wouldn't have been England captain for 10 years - nobody is.

"He has obviously had different experiences to me as a footballer and I can only really talk about my own."

Ince was made captain of England for the first time in 1993. He was initially reluctant to be known as the man to break a colour barrier, but said he later came to realise the significance of the moment.

"For me it was the pinnacle of my career when Graham Taylor made me captain, but I can remember feeling uncomfortable with the questions," he added.

"I just wanted to be the England captain, I didn't want to be remembered as the first black England captain because I didn't look at it in that way.

"Then, after the game, I began to look at it in a different way because I had a lot of parents from the ghetto sending me letters telling me it had inspired their children to get jobs or to start playing football.

"I don't know whether they were black, white or Asian or whatever, but it didn't matter. That meant a lot, to think that somehow I had inspired people I had never even met."

A bit of lefty?

I consider myself left leaning but she leans so far left she goes all the way round and comes out racist all over again.

Why don't people see that differentiating by race which ever side is racist?  Non acknowledgement of skin colour is non-racism.  

• Like 1

Did anyone hear the interview on Radio 5 Live last night?  

I'm sure he said during it that between 2002 - 2004 he was regarded, outside of England, as the best defender in the world.  He was good, no doubt, but the best defender in the world?  Really Sol, Really?

He came across as extremely arrogant.  Which appears to be backed up by these claims.

Edited by cudoz

Why don't people see that differentiating by race which ever side is racist?  Non acknowledgement of skin colour is non-racism.  

Exactly. The best way to combat racism is to simply stop talking about race. Stop seeing people through the spectre of race and just see them as people. The only colours in football that should matter are the colours of the kits.

• Like 1

Did anyone hear the interview on Radio 5 Live last night?  

I'm sure he said during it that between 2002 - 2004 he was regarded, outside of England, as the best defender in the world.  He was good, no doubt, but the best defender in the world?  Really Sol, Really?

He came across as extremely arrogant.  Which appears to be backed up by these claims.

I think Sol would have been part of the conversation, but around that time?  Nesta for me. I think Rio was better than Sol by then too. 

Â