JPA - villa hero or villa flop?

Jimzk5

JPA: Hero or Flop  

341 members have voted

1. 1. JPA: Hero or Flop

• Hero
    • Flop

Neither for me. He wasa decent striker but that was it. I've always thought he was overrated by Villa fans. When he was at his best he was excellent, but that just didn't happen enough.

Certainly not a flop though.

I believe if he played for us now in his Prime he'd be banging the goals in. Bottom line is we were rubbish, utter rubbish team when he was here and he's a confidence player. The one season we had a good run he scored 23 goals. Says it all.

I love JPA. Always will.

I will love for JPA to come back and get a send off he deserves, i have mentioned this to General a few times to see if it is possible. When he first arrived, he was treated like s**t, but not once did he bad mouth our club. Even when GT came, he carried on as a professional. The main point i'm coming to is JPA was an ultimate professional. I'll never forget that season with DOL, those headers he used to score. Just imagine if Ashley was supplying him now.

I believe if he played for us now in his Prime he'd be banging the goals in. Bottom line is we were rubbish, utter rubbish team when he was here and he's a confidence player. The one season we had a good run he scored 23 goals. Says it all.

I love JPA. Always will.

How about you turn that last bit around - the one season he actually performed, we did a lot better. That says to me we always had a decent enough side just never scored enough goals. For me there was one reason, and one reason only for that.

I love JPA. Always will.

How about you turn that last bit around - the one season he actually performed, we did a lot better. That says to me we always had a decent enough side just never scored enough goals. For me there was one reason, and one reason only for that.

Lets put this into perspective mate, in GT's season where he was often criticised he had Leanardhsen/Kinsella playing alongside. Put it this way even if we had Dwight Yorke in GT's season he would never have scored the goals.

There should be a further option? Ineither think of him as a hero or flop. He was generally a good player who for the most part tried his hardest and did a job for us. Hero suggests God or Cowans or Ian Taylor status and flop suggests Balaban or Curic or Ginola or Hodge for me JPA doesn't fit into either of these groups Can't we a a bloody good guy option????????

He was playing excellently, he had scored 24 goals one season and had scored 16 before GT MkII turned up and bought that waste of space Crouch, dropped JPA, whilst Crouch was being shit, JPA lost fitness, got injured and never really recovered.

JPA would have IMO been one of our best strikers ever, had GT MkII not ruined his previous reputation (GT's) and come back to manage Villa. GT really has gone down to numpty level, by neqarly relegating us and **** up JPA's career, by replacing him with Rodney Trotter.

Agree with most of this bar the extreme hatred towards Crouch. Crouch should of been bought and just used in the reserves until he was ready for Premiership football at a big club IMO.

But the team should of been built around Juan Pablo, the best thing DOL did was notice this and get him back to somehwere near his best.

The man was class and could of been playing in the champions league, we **** his career up and he never complained - and was just a gentleman about it.

The same goes for Mellberg, he had 2-3 seasons where he could of been playing in the champions league when we looked like doing absolutely **** all, but thats another topic.

I wish Juan was still here, even if it was just as cover - but I guess after his loyal service he couldnt be denied the chance for one last pay day and to be a hero and score regular goals again.

He was playing excellently, he had scored 24 goals one season and had scored 16 before GT MkII turned up and bought that waste of space Crouch, dropped JPA, whilst Crouch was being shit, JPA lost fitness, got injured and never really recovered.

JPA would have IMO been one of our best strikers ever, had GT MkII not ruined his previous reputation (GT's) and come back to manage Villa. GT really has gone down to numpty level, by neqarly relegating us and **** up JPA's career, by replacing him with Rodney Trotter.

Agree with most of this bar the extreme hatred towards Crouch. Crouch should of been bought and just used in the reserves until he was ready for Premiership football at a big club IMO.

But the team should of been built around Juan Pablo, the best thing DOL did was notice this and get him back to somehwere near his best.

The man was class and could of been playing in the champions league, we **** his career up and he never complained - and was just a gentleman about it.

The same goes for Mellberg, he had 2-3 seasons where he could of been playing in the champions league when we looked like doing absolutely **** all, but thats another topic.

I wish Juan was still here, even if it was just as cover - but I guess after his loyal service he couldnt be denied the chance for one last pay day and to be a hero and score regular goals again.

I agree wholeheartedly! Mellberg and Angel were the two bright spots on a very bad team in a very dark period.They both could have left but sticked to Villa because they loved the club and I will forever be grateful to them. Both heroes, without them we would have been playing championship football.

Also you could argue anything about Angel's ability, but you can't question his desire and his love for the club. That's good enough for me as a fan.

I love JPA. Always will.

So why is it that when we bought proven goalscorers like Baros and Phillips they couldn't find the net either? Its simple, the team they were playing in weren't creating enough chances. World class strikers like Henry and Ronaldinho would have scored more as they can create their own chances, but players even in RVNs standard need service.

I voted hero.

A model pro, a classy guy, a talented footballer, who was unfortunate to play under a couple of poor managers on some poor teams. Teams that were incapable of being the platform for the kind of success he was presumably expecting when he came over.

In my opinion, if we were signing JPA in his prime now, with history deleted, he would not look out of place at the level the team is playing at today.

For me he was a hero, I think he was the first big name I remember signing to the villa. He didnt quite perform to what he was expected but it wasn't through lack of effort in my eyes. Great guy and had alot of problems while he was here to cope with.

In response to the thread title, I'd imagine somewhere between the two. He has enjoyed periods of success and also tougher times, especially over the past couple of years.

Undoubtedly a gentleman though, and a good representative for the club.

My thoughts exactly, I was hoping the poll might have the option - somewhere between the two lol

Â